OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Black x1000 6-24x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSwede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Black x1000 6-24x50
    Posted: September/13/2017 at 15:35
Hi gents. Have anyone tested one? I dont have the ability to look in one myself. Looking for a huntingscope but also shooting steel åt long range on my 6.5 creed. My budget is around 600-700$ I really need the illumination.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2017 at 10:10
They're SFP scopes, according to Nikon.  That's a fatal flaw.  They're pretending the scopes are supposed to be used in precision rifle competitions, or possibly for police or para-military uses, but the SFP reticle destroys their usefulness.  Don't waste your time if you're looking for the kind of scope their marketing schtick is trying to get you to believe they are.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2017 at 10:31
Fatal flaw is kindof harsh.  Nothing is wrong with a sfp you just have to understand its strengths and weaknesses. 

Sounds like he just wants to hunt and shoot targets, it would work fine for those two uses.  If a person wanted to use it to range targets and dial corrections they just have to set it on 18x as Nikon states and use it that way. 

Most people don't attempt to range targets with reticles anyway.  It is extremely difficult to do accurately as you have to have the exact measurement of the target to get it right.  Much easier to use a range finder. 

I honestly prefor a SFP scope for hunting, the reticle gets to small on low mag on many FFP scopes to see them well in low light.  But I also think a 6-24x is to high of a mag range for a hunting scope, but that is just my opinion. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2017 at 11:13
I've never understood the focus on ranging with reticles.  The advantages to marked reticles are primarily wind holds, hold-offs for moving targets, and holdovers for range.  If you don't want or need those things, then there's no advantage to a marked reticle at all; use something very simple.

Yes, ranging with the reticle can be done.  Yes, it is done.  Just not often or often not successfully, at least in the hunting field, with SFP scopes.  Holdovers and hold-offs are also cumbersome and not often useful in SFP scopes, if for no other reason than that a running target (coyote?  Spooked antelope?  Spooked or migrating elk or deer?) isn't going to wait around long enough for you to check or remember what magnification the scope is set at, make the calculation to how many mils or minutes each mark represents at that particular magnification, and _then_ check your range card, hold, and fire.  Too many people either won't do that (which makes the marked SFP reticle useless), or will do it too slowly or incorrectly, resulting in a miss or no shot.  Perhaps that person also would not shoot or would miss if the reticle was FFP, but the SFP reticle is a pure liability and a slow-down to the whole process.

If you also take into account the marketing images and the look and design of the scope itself, so that you know what Nikon is trying to market it as (good grief, just read the name), it is immediately apparent that the SFP reticle is a fatal flaw.  I have every confidence that the scopes will be bought, perhaps very briskly, by people who fundamentally misunderstand, or are ignorant of, the value of marked reticles and matching adjustment clicks.

I don't disagree with your choice of an SFP crosshair (or German post?) for a pure hunting rifle at all.  If an FFP reticle is not illuminated, or if the magnification range of the scope is relatively wider, you run a real risk of losing the reticle against many backgrounds, or of being unable to resolve the markings on the more 'busy' or detailed reticles.  So, if any of those things apply, stick with very simple, SFP reticles.
harveyspecter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harveyspecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 21:14
the view is great on it's own and the illumination works great when it is needed. Once I had the scope set at 100 yards on my Remington 700 tactical .308 AAC-SD with 180 grain rounds, it was very easy to set up on target with 150 or even 168 grain rounds with no adjustments and used the reticle marks alone for a fast hit. Then when I moved on out to 500 yards very little if any adjustments where made for elevation or windage outside of marking the settings for my records for a faster setup.
harveyspecter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harveyspecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 21:20
the view is great on it's own and the illumination works great when it is needed. Once I had the scope set at 100 yards on my Remington 700 tactical .308 AAC-SD with 180 grain rounds, it was very easy to set up on target with 150 or even 168 grain rounds with no adjustments and used the reticle marks alone for a fast hit. Then when I moved on out to 500 yards very little if any adjustments where made for elevation or windage outside of marking the settings for my records for a faster setup.
TheSwede View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSwede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2017 at 16:40
Thank you för the responsen. Right now I have a reticle that I moose to backgrounds. I must have a illuminated. I do have a rangefinder that I use för hunting and i probebly Only dial the turret While hunting and not use holdover/holdoff. But even thou I know FFP is more usefull for many tasks I think i can measure at x18 if needed. Some competes with fixed magnification scooes at long range precision so i do think its possible with the x1000.
Another scones in this priceclass is Athlon. I just feel that Nikon comes in bettet quality? Im still hesitating about chins athlon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic