OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

700 AAC-SD problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 700 AAC-SD problems?
    Posted: October/02/2017 at 15:54
Has anyone had issues with theirs? Mine (308) is not very accurate. It seems to string shots when I shoot it off a rest. It has a 3-15x42 minox scope on it, with a low DNZ mount. 

I even loaded some 178 grain ELD-X and 168 grain Nosler BT's for it. Hand weighed with an electronic scale each powder charge. NOPE!! Handloads with CFE223 and BL-C(2). Best handload seemed to be 165 grain Hornady BTSP and 46.4 grain of CFE223. It was about 1.5 inches. Federal Fusion 165 grouped about the same. Hornady Custom 165gr and American Whitetail 165's were terrible. 

So I dropped it off at the local shop that offers site in service with 5 different boxes of ammo to see what they came up with. So far, the gunsmith wasn't happy. Best group I saw was a hair over an inch. He is keeping it, I am not sure what he plans next, he wasn't in today. The guy at the counter said he may take the scope off and remount it. I don't think it needs that. 

I did that prior to the last range session. And sanded out the barrel channel and made sure there was no contact with the barrel. 

I think it needs a better stock. What if i got a boyds laminated one, and had it bedded? Would I need to add pillars too? 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2017 at 16:00
Boyds don't have pillars, so if you want the best consistency then yes would would want pillars.

A couple other options.  If you are handy, buy a Criterion RemAge barrel and put a new barrel on it.  Or pawn it off and possibly buy a Tikka, they really are a better rifle than a 700
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2017 at 17:01
How do I know if its a remage barrel or not? 

I looked at the Tikka, but didn't like 100 dollars a magazine. I would be pissed if I lost one out in the woods. It's not like I can walk into Academy and get a replacement. 

For me, the stock has to go. I don't like how fat the hogue is in the pistol grip area. I did look and handle a magpul hunter, it was ok. But I kinda want laminated. As long as it wouldn't push the weight to high. 

This thing is a hunting gun. I have some powerlines I could have a longer shot on. The problem is sitting in a shooting house with a long action rifle and a 22 or 24 in barrel. It's just harder to move around. 

The other side is I can suppress it. From what I have read, it seems wise to have a heavier contour barrel if I plan on hanging a suppresser off the end of it. 

Normally I sit in the woods in a climber and use a 16.5 barrel Ruger. Either 308 or 708. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2017 at 17:53
Rem/Age barrels let you use a barrel nut like Savage uses.  This way you can change the barrels easily yourself and don't have to pay a smith to do it.  But you do have to buy a few tools up front. 
http://criterionbarrels.com/remage-pre-fit-barrels
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2017 at 17:55
Tikka t3 mags are only $40 to $50.  Even the CTR mags are only $75. 

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2017 at 07:42
But I would have to have a gunsmith take my barrel off right? 

I looked at that and liked the concept. I would have one cut down to be the same length and then threaded. 

What would be interesting is then, if I wanted, I could convert it to 7mm-08 and have a heavier barrel profile. 

Which is food for thought. I love the 308, but I could dig a 7-08 big time. 
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2017 at 09:26
get a better stock/chassis then shoot/load 175gr VLDs bergers touching the lands and be happy. I shoot this same rifle in my matches and its dead on it just like the loads a little on the warm side. I shot mine with a thunderbeast ultra9 too. plus this acc is fast twist for those subs... good stuff.

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2017 at 13:38
I went and got it from the gunsmith. Best group was Hornady Custom 165 BTSP. Just over an inch at 100 yards. I guess I need to play with some reloads and see if I can get it better than that. I need to figure out what powder they use. I got really close to this size group with CFE223. Maybe I need to measure it precisely instead of using the thrower and see what happens.

It didn't like any 150 grain ammo. 

I don't want ammo touching the lands, that makes it a single shot. I deer hunt with it. I need a better option than that. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic