OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Point of Impact keeps dropping - advise requested.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Point of Impact keeps dropping - advise requested.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davehafelein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Point of Impact keeps dropping - advise requested.
    Posted: October/03/2017 at 19:01
I have a Savage 10P with a SWFA SS 10 X 42 scope.     Recently, the Point of Impact dropped 4" over 50 rounds at 100 yard range.  Was using hand loaded cartridges.    I took rings and base apart, looking for loose fasteners.    All fasteners seemed ok.

Replaced aluminum base and rings with steel Leupold components.    Reassembled with F.A.T wrench to recommended torques and loctite.

At range today, POI drop contuinued, 4" over 25 rounds.  Same cartridge data as previous experience.  All fasteners appear ok.    Grouping good other than each round lower than preceeding round.     Slow fire rate, 90 minutes for 30 rounds, so barrel heating not an issue.

My thoughts are the only component left that could be problem is the scope.   No outward damage to scope.     It's never been dropped.    About 725 rounds total thru rifle.  

Anyone have this experience before?

thanks

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2017 at 05:47
What you describe has to be a scope issue. Send it back to SWFA and get a replacement.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2017 at 14:42
I have never saw an issue with the 10xClassic. How ever, if there is, Skylar will make it right. You definitely bought the right peoduct from the right guys!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2017 at 18:10
Originally posted by MikieG MikieG wrote:

I have never saw an issue with the 10xClassic. How ever, if there is, Skylar will make it right. You definitely bought the right peoduct from the right guys!

No kidding. 

I call my ancient SS 10x Old Faithful. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2017 at 05:35

I've had my 10xHD on everything from .22 to .50BMG.  I let Bigdaddy borrow it for a couple of years... it survived that.  Right now, it is on a .308 Ruger American.  Still as exact as I think a scope can be...

However, what you describe DOES sound like a scope problem I had once years ago... different brand of scope, though.  SWFA will make it good, if it is the scope. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2017 at 06:20
HEYYYYY.... I'm not THAT bad on things.

sounds like a scope problem... maybe... could be a lose threads in the action and letting the barrel move around when heating up. I have actually seen it once. all seems fine until the heat hits it from shots.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2017 at 05:33

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

HEYYYYY.... I'm not THAT bad on things.

sounds like a scope problem... maybe... could be a lose threads in the action and letting the barrel move around when heating up. I have actually seen it once. all seems fine until the heat hits it from shots.

I'll add a picture... The Bigdaddy Test... survive and it will work through ANYTHING...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Davehafelein View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davehafelein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2017 at 14:56
Many thanks to SWFA.   Received a new scope back from them today.   I had discussed my problem with them and they gave me a RMA and told me to send it back.    New scope arrived today. 

It isn't common to find a company that stands behind their products like these folks do.

Thanks again.

Yippee
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2017 at 19:20
Thunbs Up
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2017 at 12:34
Every thing i have an optic on is SWFA. The only exceptions are my old Marlin M25 and my muzzleloader. The only thing that has ever happened was i lost sone turret set screws. Skylar hooked me up pretty Ricky damn Tick! Just to be sure, he had no obligation to do so.
This year i have two new scopes in my budget.
Betcha cant guess what brand they will be!
Cmon Black Friday!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic