OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NIKON WX binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIKON WX binoculars
    Posted: October/04/2017 at 11:50
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2017 at 14:44
Well, the way these are built is interesting, but they are too much money even for people really into astronomy.  Still, I suspect the view is really spectacular.

ILya 
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2017 at 15:07
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Well, the way these are built is interesting, but they are too much money even for people really into astronomy.  Still, I suspect the view is really spectacular.

ILya 

Why would Nikon build a binocular, at this price level, if there is no market?

There must be individuals who are willing to spend more money than they normally would
for Leica, Swarovski, or Zeiss binoculars.  moneyeyes.gif

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/580233-nikon-wx-testing/
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2017 at 15:44
These are really intended for night sky observation and from what I hear, for that purpose there is nothing quite like them.

It is not a bad thing for Nikon to have a "flag bearer" product of sorts and this binocular is quite stunning in terms of what it can achieve.  They know will not sell a lot of them and they are probably OK with that.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2017 at 18:17
Perhaps from a global standpoint sales are better outside the USA.

The Japanese are big on astronomy/stargazing, etc.

http://www.takahashiamerica.com/takahashi-fsq-130ed-refractor.html

Edited by Bird Watcher - October/05/2017 at 08:42
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2017 at 06:27

I was interested... until I saw the price... WOW.

Would love to get "hands on", but probably have purchase just to see one of those in a box...

According to the ad, only 100 made...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2017 at 08:36
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I was interested... until I saw the price... WOW.

According to the ad, only 100 made...

The WX 7x50 IF & the WX 10x50 IF "100th year anniversary models", with logos, are limited editions.

You can still get the 7x50 & the 10x50 without logos, that's why the four models are priced separately.

Perhaps 'some one' working for Nikon will get an employee discount. Wink

Edited by Bird Watcher - October/06/2017 at 15:45
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2017 at 05:55
Let us know how you like the binocular to end all binoculars... great specs, lousy price... I do love star gazing, though...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2017 at 11:57
If the design is THAT good, consumers will notice and competition will BEGIN to cause the price to drop. Most manufacturers will choose to not to follow Nikon into the financial sewer KNOWING it will take a good while for the consumer to be willing to spend that kind of money.

In the end (this one may take several years), a combination of consumer BRAGGADOCIO and manufacturer GREED for a new market will cause the price to inch down. Then, as more manufacturers see there’s money to be made, production techniques will be altered and shortcuts established, and the competition war will start. Then, prices will drop faster. We old guys may never live long enough to see the fruits thereof and don’t be surprised if the concept even takes a nap for a few years. But, in time, it will be resurrected—if perception becomes reality, anyway. I can see clones selling for less than $1,000.

Bill

“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2017 at 16:15
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Let us know how you like the binocular to end all binoculars... great specs, lousy price... I do love star gazing, though...

If Social Security will advance me the money then I will consider buying one of each. 

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2017 at 17:28
Can't even count that high. So count me out. Jump on it Ted.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2017 at 13:17
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2017 at 07:14
for that money u could have image intensification.  These 2 spring to mind filmless gen 3 or the new photonis INTENS tube paired to the right housing and lenses plus more mag. in my opinion nothin better for looking at the night sky.Yippee

Edited by verminator - October/18/2017 at 03:53
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic