OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR Build (distance)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2017 at 14:29
My Grendel wears a Sightron SIII 3.5-10 and I love it.  Its nailed a yote' at over 800yrds for me... I am a fan of better glass over more magnification..... I like the 3-9 better than the 3-15 for a workhorse.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2017 at 15:40
Ahh, thanks all. I don't know the breakdown bench to field until it happens. Distance shooting will be bench and prone at longer distances, thats the way the range (American Shooting Center) is setup in Houston.

I was thinking the 3x15 was HD. As it is, I'll use the 3x9 HD until it isn't sufficient.

Just thinking. 

The Superlative Arms GB is finally back in stock at Midway, ordered. I found another coating company in Houston, IA Coatings, who sound solid and will do the lower for 53.

Parts are accumulating.  I'll try and drop off the lower for coating tomorrow.

Edited by HKtoTikka - October/25/2017 at 18:09
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2017 at 20:50
Update on the parts and some changes/evolution

Here is the build to date:

Rifle Build (New)  6.5 Grendel
  1. Faxon 18" .750 Nitrided  (mid length) 
  2. Monster bolt                                         
  3. Magpul MOE FDE Rifle stock            
  4. Spikes gas tube med. melonite             
  5. JP Lower parts kit no trigger                
  6. A2 Rifle Stock Completion Kit            
  7. BCM Gunfighter CH  mod 4                
  8. AP Enhanced Upper/MLOK HG 15    
  9. Sharps Blem NPR BCG                       
  10. JTM Pistol Grip                                   
  11. Superlative Arms adj gas block           
  12. VG6 Gamma  65  compensator                              
  13. AADMOUNT 30 mm (blem)                 
The bolt and barrel are Faxon group buy on 65Grendel.  I have read some nice things about their barrel and 5R rifling.

I will wait on Larue Black Friday for the trigger.

I also went overboard and paid for a 12" Faxon 65G barrel for a pistol build.

Waiting for some email from Jon on the mount and I ordered a throw lever for the 3x9 SWFA.  I actually ordered the lever and a set of caps before I found the caps I had already ordered for the 3x9 before.
No rubber bands and $20 bills for me...

Getting anal on 2 tone FDE and black, so I will have the mount and lever cerakoted with the lower to contrast with the scope. But I think I have learned that Magpul FDE and Aero Precision FDE are a bit different.

HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2017 at 20:55
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

My Grendel wears a Sightron SIII 3.5-10 and I love it.  Its nailed a yote' at over 800yrds for me... I am a fan of better glass over more magnification..... I like the 3-9 better than the 3-15 for a workhorse.

At some point, I do need to check out  a Sightron.  There have been lots of recommendations.  What I really need to do is get out and shoot my stuff, but my percussion hobby has taken a bit of a back seat to my brewing hobby with the GF.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 17:04
Timely thread.  I just purchased a 6.5 Grendel AR that hopefully will arrive early next week.  Really didn't need one but don't have an AR in this caliber and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm curious to shoot this alongside my 6.5CM AR and future 224 Valkyrie (hopefully next month).
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 21:38
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Timely thread.  I just purchased a 6.5 Grendel AR that hopefully will arrive early next week.  Really didn't need one but don't have an AR in this caliber and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm curious to shoot this alongside my 6.5CM AR and future 224 Valkyrie (hopefully next month).

Anxious for your thoughts on the .224 Valkyrie… I've been considering one…
I have two Grendel's… one 14.5 inch, one 20 inch.  They both shoot "lights out"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 08:17
Hopefully should have the JP barrel in by late Jan/early Feb.  It has a +2 gas system on it, so it will require a 17" hand guard for those that don't like an exposed gas block.  I'm hearing Seekins, Larue, LWRC and Savage all plan on rolling something out but seems everyone is waiting on the production reamers to hit the street, as well as ammo.  Shot Show this year should be interesting with this caliber.

Appreciate the info in the Grendel.  Mine is an 18" barrel and looking forward to see how it performs at the 6-800 yard ranges.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 10:42
I've converted my 14.5 inch to piston (actually Bigdaddy did that for me, as I was travelling a lot) and really like the performance.  As for range, I've only shot out to 500 with this rifle, but it is excellent at that range.  Well under 1MOA.  
I am highly infatuated with the Grendel round.  Suppressed on my 14.5 inch, recoil is not noticeably different than 5.56, with heavier bullets/better performance downrange… I've been using the Alexander Arms 129 grain Hornady SST's and Lapua 123 grain Scenars.  I made the mistake of getting some "on sale" Wolf 100 grain stuff… doesn't perform well AT ALL.  My 20" gun does OK with it, but it is also very "dirty".  I won't ever put Wolf products through either of those guns again even though AA says it should be fine.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 11:52
Good to know.  I just bought a case of the Hornady Black 123gr ammo plus a single box of their 130gr Bergers.

The Wolf's price was attractive but never been a big fan of steel cased ammo and agree they can be very dirty.  Prvi Partizan has 100gr loads that are about 20 cents cheaper than the Hornady Black but haven't found them in stock.

I've used Prvi ammo in my AR and bolt rifles and they aren't bad for range fodder.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 11:58
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Good to know.  I just bought a case of the Hornady Black 123gr ammo plus a single box of their 130gr Bergers.

The Wolf's price was attractive but never been a big fan of steel cased ammo and agree they can be very dirty.  Prvi Partizan has 100gr loads that are about 20 cents cheaper than the Hornady Black but haven't found them in stock.

I've used Prvi ammo in my AR and bolt rifles and they aren't bad for range fodder.
I was going to get the Privi 100 grain, but none in stock when I was looking…  I forgot about it… wish I had waited.

HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 20:52
I have a ton of parts, waiting on some stuff.

Waiting on Group buy 18" Faxon barrel (and bolt).
Brownells shipped the NoGo gauge but the Go is still back-ordered.  As are the mags from Larue.
I also ordered an upper squaring tool and grit, it shipped from Brownells.

I defiled the Aadland caps, throw lever and Aadmount with spray paint, after a couple days I'll hit them with the clear coat.

I can assemble the lower any time now.  I got the Larue MBT the other day.  The lower is back from cerakoting.

I will need to buy a vise for the upper work.

Edited by HKtoTikka - December/08/2017 at 21:02
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 21:05
There is a new cheaper ammo solution than the Hornady ELD Black.  Its Hornady American Gunner, so far strictly for Sportsmans Warehouse.  They regularly have it 139/200.  They had it on sale a couple weeks ago for 109, but of course out of stock.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 22:06
Originally posted by HKtoTikka HKtoTikka wrote:

There is a new cheaper ammo solution than the Hornady ELD Black.  Its Hornady American Gunner, so far strictly for Sportsmans Warehouse.  They regularly have it 139/200.  They had it on sale a couple weeks ago for 109, but of course out of stock.
Have you compared the two at the range???

HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 08:59
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by HKtoTikka HKtoTikka wrote:

Have you compared the two at the range???

I have not, but all the info you could want is here:

Note that a Larue 18" is shooting as fast as a BHW 22" barrel!

Edited by HKtoTikka - December/09/2017 at 09:12
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 09:08
Be careful with the squaring tool. Take off much and it can change headspacing. And it can open up the channel where the extension goes. You want that as tight as possible
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 09:18
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Be careful with the squaring tool. Take off much and it can change headspacing. And it can open up the channel where the extension goes. You want that as tight as possible

Yeah, I might have been overreacting to reading about squaring.  
I also expect an aerospace engineering company not to mess up on something like that.  

Then there are their mounts though...

I also have a no-name upper I cant remember where I got it from which I will use for a pistol build.

Here is a great time killer on lapping uppers:

Are there supposed to be any manufacturers marks on an upper?

Edited by HKtoTikka - December/09/2017 at 09:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic