OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me understand the Leupold scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me understand the Leupold scope
    Posted: October/10/2017 at 08:02
My step-son came over last night and we mounted an older Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 on a new muzzleloader he had just bought. After setting up the my Zero Point to bore sight it, I cranked the mag ring up to 10x. As I was watching the mag ring, I noticed on the back of the mag ring another set of numbers were incrementing as well. I look at it and it had numbers starting at 1 I think and went up to 4 or 5 and under it was the word "Yards". 

So as the magnification is increased, the "yardage" numbers on the bottom of the mag ring increases as well.  But the scope has a simple duplex reticle so what in heck are the yardage numbers for?  Thanks.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2017 at 11:29
The thin area of the retical is 16 inches at 100 yards. This is the average depth of a deer chest per Leupold. If a deer was out at 400 yards you can adjust your magnification until the chest fills the thin part of the retical. Then you read the dial and the range estimate should hopefully be on 4. You could then dial or holdover based on your cartridge ballistics.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic