OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suggestions needed for low power variable scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suggestions needed for low power variable scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2017 at 09:33
I am not a fan of the Strike Eagle, so it would not be my recommendation.

ILya
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2017 at 11:41
Hi ILya,

I just moments ago returned from a Gun Show here in Maine.  I checked out the Vortex Strike Eagle and I found it too big/chunky/heavy for my needs (Compact lightweight Tikka Rifle).  
Pray tell, what might your thoughts be on the :

The Primary Arms 1-6 x 24mm Scope with Patented ACSS 5.56 / 5.45 / .308 Reticle-PAPS1-6X ?

While at the Gunshow, I finally got to meet personally (as opposed to Facebook) and had a very nice chat with Jeff Zimba (who is one heck of a nice guy).  I ask Jeff his opinion regarding my Tikka set up/search for the right Scope.  Jeff had nothing but good comments about the Primary Arms 1-6 scope.

Regards,
SixCats!
Every time a Liberial enters a Gun Shop, a Unicorn dies!

University of Saigon 68
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2017 at 11:43
Whoops......THE  Primary Arms 1-6x24mm Riflescope with 5.56/5.45/.308 Reticle ?

Also, is there an EDIT option for threads ?  

SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 01:15
I do not know who Jeff Zimba is, so I can't comment on that.

As far as Primary Arms 1-6x goes, it is the same scope as the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x, but with a different reticle.  While I like the Primary Arms reticle, I am not a big fan of the scope (or of the 1-8x, which is the same scope as Vortex uses).

It is a serviceable design and a LOT of companies use it since it is cheap and sorta durable, but I do not like it.

ILya
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 05:40
Hi ILya,

Thank you for that information regarding the Primary Arms.  I thought it looked pretty much the same.  

SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 09:25
Forum settings require 50 posts before you can edit.  To help weed out spammers.

None of cheaper "do it all scopes" like the strike eagle are going to be that great.  They are marketing those to a particular group.  They are tacticool and most of the owners are the folks that don't spend a lot of time shooting, but want a scope that claims it does everything awesome.  It looks really awesome on the gun pictures posted on the web, which for some is an important thing.  I have tried a strike eagle and was not impressed at all. 

You are not going to beat that 1.5-8x Vortex Razor for $500, unless you want to spend a lot more.  If you want to spend a little less, there have been several other good options listed.  If I were in your shoes, I would pick that Razor.  Razor scopes offer a lot of goodness IMO. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 13:02
Thanks Supertool, that is excellent information!  I am still trying to (TRULY) be honest with myself and evaluate my REAL needs in the way of a Scope.  Heck, I'm even thinking I might be fine with the likes of a 1X4 Scope.  Oooh, as an aside, Supertool, I found the following in excellent condition at my local "Thrift Shop" for eight dollars!  Now, if I could only find a HIGH END Scope at a "Thrift Shop" for eight dollars lol.

Regards,

SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 13:03
http://www.sakwiki.com/show_image.php?id=1919

University of Saigon 68
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 21:52
I either own or have owned most mentioned. All good suggestions save the Strike Eagle. I can't describe the Strike Eagle any better than Supertool, so I shan't expend the energy.

I'm probably in the minority. I like a simple uncluttered reticle especially considering limited distance you mentioned. A 1 - 4 duplex is sufficient. I have about 40 years experience with an old Vari x II on my BLR. A boatload of venison it has harvested, all one shot kills, all times of the day and all shades of dusk. A fine choice.   

My all time favorite stands out as the Leupold VX 3 2.5 - 8 x 36. A superb scope and a very decent value. It's profile is compelling, however, not overly glamorous, it's clarity is, in this gray beard's opinion, completely satisfactory.

There's nothing like good glass, but we need not make the choosing more complicated is needed.

Wf

May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 22:36
Another thing i like about Leupolds are the alumina flip open caps. They are awesome, i have them on all 5 of my Leupolds and just love them.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2017 at 05:11
If you ever intend to shoot this in lower light conditions then I would not sacrifice visibility for weight by getting something with a small objective. So nothing under 30mm.   if you do intend to hunt with it keep that in mind.

Edited by HKtoTikka - October/17/2017 at 05:19
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2017 at 05:17
Hello Whitefire,

Thanks you for your excellent comments/information, wise words.  I too must be in the minority as I also seek a simple/clean/uncluttered reticle and in general a lightweight Scope.  I agree WF, choosing a Scope SHOULD not be complicated but, in my case (and I suspect others) it's proving to be rather confusing. Heck, choosing which Rifle to purchase (in my case the Tikka Compact Lite) was the EASY part!

Regards,

SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2017 at 11:04
Hello all,

I just want to say "THANK YOU" to all who responded to my thread and provided information/suggestions for my Scope search.  I have spent hours on end researching ALL recommendations/suggestions by the fine members of this forum.  Not only did I research "on line" reviews/forums/stores etc. I physically went to Cabelas, L.L. Bean, a local Gun Show, LGS etc. in search of the perfect Scope for my needs (which required a bit of Soul searching).  In the end.....

I just completed an "on line" purchase for a (NIB/Factory direct) LEUPOLD VX-3i 1.5 X 5 20mm lightweight Scope (from an "Authorized" Leupold dealer).  I even went the extra mile to check both the Dealers' Store and Leupold directly to confirm everything was legit (i.e. new Scope as opposed to re-furbished) as the price for the Leupold VX-3i seemed too good to be true (a little over three hundred dollars including free shipping).  I believe this Leupold will prove to be excellent fit for me and my new Tikka Rifle.  Thank you all once again for all your help.

Regards,
SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2017 at 11:17
I hope you gave SWFA a chance to sell you the scope. They do sure both reticles in stock and I think they match competitors' prices.

ILya
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2017 at 17:32
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2017 at 11:44
I too have had very good experiences with SWFA. Good honest folks to deal with.

Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2017 at 00:27
 Well, I'm glad to see some chatter regards 'low power' variables. 

I just picked up a Weaver Super Slam 2-10x42. Kinda' heavy at 19oz.

Now I'm toying w/ the idea of trading it in on that Vortex Razor 1.5-8.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2017 at 07:47
Originally posted by hatton mann hatton mann wrote:

Well, I'm glad to see some chatter regards 'low power' variables. 

I just picked up a Weaver Super Slam 2-10x42. Kinda' heavy at 19oz.

Now I'm toying w/ the idea of trading it in on that Vortex Razor 1.5-8.

I am probably going to do another overview of "tweener" scopes soon enough.  The landscape has changed enough to warrant that.

ILya
wapitiwacker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wapitiwacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2017 at 19:44
hatton man, the Razor HD LH 1.5-8 is a great scope. If you're not happy with your Weaver I would definitely consider one. I got mine out to the range for the first time last night. I was very impressed.

Dark LordWink, my hat's off to you for your input on the G4 reticle. Incredibly nice reticle to sit behind.Bow
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2017 at 20:46
Wapiti guy,,,

Can't say I'm unhappy w/ the Weaver, it's still new in the box. I do like the power range, and looking around outside it's clear and sharp. To me the 2-10 is a good compromise,  if still a little heavy for a bush-whacker.  

That Vortex scope offers a wider field on the low end (an important consideration for me), and I think considerably lighter. And to hear you fellows tell the tale, I would lose nothing as far as glass quality is concerned.

When I go into a shop , like today, the majority of scopes on display are '3-9'. their were a couple '2-7', the the rest of the 'tube numbers' started w/ '4' or '6'. Nothing started w/ '1' or '1.5'. And this is 'back east' !

Forty years ago some holy man said ; '3-9' is all you will ever need',,,unless you need more magnification'. 
And everyone said : AMEN.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic