OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question about a vintage Weaver V4.5 scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about a vintage Weaver V4.5 scope
    Posted: October/30/2017 at 20:00
Hi all. I'm hoping there are some folks around here knowledgeable in these old scopes. Full model number is "V4.5-1". Here's my history with it. I bought it off ebay back around 2003. The exterior is in extremely nice condition. But I noticed that the reticle (fine x-hair) was a little canted. So I sent it to Weaver Scope Repair in El Paso. They fixed it all up (took about six months as I recall) and returned it. I used this scope on my Lee Enfield #4 for a while. 

At some point, I think it was trying to experiment with the focus on it, I turned the ocular piece and the whole rear assy rotated. Canted the reticle over again badly. Had me saying, "Oh shyte!" It's obviously not supposed to do that. In the pic below you may be able to see how their new glue/sealant was wrinkled in the process. 

So this scope has been in a box on a shelf for around 10 years now, and I just started looking at it again. I see that both the reticle and the objects seen through it are horribly out of focus. Not sure when or how that happened. 

If I want this scope fixed again I will likely send it out to Iron Sight, Inc. in Tulsa, OK, to wait another 1.5 years for it to be fixed again. 

But anyway, my actual question is, anybody know how old scopes like this are supposed to be adjusted? I've never seen a manual. Below are a couple of images to add illustration to all this. I'm thinking that the ocular piece should be able to rotate for focus, and that they cinch down ring is supposed to hold it in place once adjusted. 

MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2017 at 09:16
Okay. So I see my images didn't make it over here. I'll need to work on that. I figure it'll help a lot with IDing and diagnosing. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2017 at 09:48
I think you cannot add images here prior to 50th post.  I'm not certain, but I think you can dump them to a site like photobucket and link them.  That might be worth a try.

Aaaaand that is about all I can contribute here, sorry, no experience with old scopes.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2017 at 10:55
Thanks. I'd actually just added them to my photobucket account for this purpose. I see that photobucket has become a bit of the butt since I last used it. Really slow with lots of pop-ups. But oh well, here is one pic for now. 

My gut tells me that the scope is focused by loosening what I call the cinch-down ring (rotating it CW to move it fwd on the scope). That's the knurled part just forward of the ocular. And then rotating the whole ocular piece at the rear. But I think the ocular has become frozen onto the sub-assembly. So now everything inside is turning with the ocular. 

MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2017 at 10:59
Second image. A detail with some labeling....

MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2017 at 11:01
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Aaaaand that is about all I can contribute here, sorry, no experience with old scopes.
Thanks anyway. Maybe the pics will jog someone's memory. 
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2017 at 12:45
Ah never mind. I just got off the phone with Iron Sight in OK. This is not a model they can repair any longer. Their finite inventory of parts for this model has been exhausted.  Sad
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2017 at 09:25
May as well show some pics of "what almost was". It sure would look right on my old Model 54. But that's life. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic