OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

cds like leupold system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cds like leupold system
    Posted: November/12/2017 at 20:17

Question for you all, I'm starting down the longer range hunting system.  I have the rifle ordered.  Once I build a load for it, I'll want a system much like Leupold's CDS where I can range, dial the distance, and shoot. 

Does any manufacturer besides Leupold do a CDS like system?

Additionally, which chronograph should I get and why?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2017 at 22:51
Why limit your turret to one load. I have two leupolds with cds dials and i just use them as moa dials. Then if i want to change my bullet i dont have to worry about getting a new dial. If you use them that way there are lots of good options. Also dont just trust leupold to give them your bullet and velocity and really expect the turret they make you to be right on. Shoot all the distances your self and get real data.

Get one with the zero lock 2 knob. They are fantastic IMO.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2017 at 11:12
Kenton is another alternative.

http://kentonindustries.com/featured/our-knobs-are-designed-to-perform
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2017 at 20:11
I am with Supertool, with a marked knob, you are limiting yourself to one load. This also include atmospheric conditions and altitude. A range card/ballistics program is going to be much more flexible.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2017 at 06:59
As for chronograph… Labradar, next would be Oehler or MagnetoSpeed (depending on your desire for traditional style technology or a newer approach), after that, best guess.   Skyscreens can be painful, but they work, generally.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2017 at 09:21
I have a skyscreen and it doesn't make it out much.  A friend has a magnetospeed and it gets used way more often.

On custom turrets: I have run several sets and none is ever right for anything more than a specific temperature, a specific barometric pressure, a specific altitude, a specific load, a specific gun, and a ton of other non-specific things.  Learn to use a Christmas tree reticle and you are set for any gun, any load, any conditions, and almost any range.  All that said, I do not encourage long range hunting, especially if you are looking for a short-cut like a custom turret.  Long range it very difficult on static targets, much less moving targets that will suffer very badly for a poor wind call or a bad trigger pull.

What are you hunting and what is "long range"?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2017 at 11:55
I have had a couple sets of custom turret caps form Kenton Industries.  As previously stated they are only good for one specific load, and that depends on weather conditions.  I would not buy them again.

I use a Magnetospeed and it works very well.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2017 at 14:46
I have a Magnetospeed and a ProChrono with the screens and all.  SInce I bought the Magnetospeed, ProChrono has barely seen any use.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2017 at 16:07
I have Kenton knobs on a couple of scopes but just like Leupold's CDS system they are set up for one specific ammo at one specific temperature at one specific elevation and any time you change any element what you get is different.  I have one on a 22 rifle that I tend to shoot at 50 yds and 100 yds and went with the Speed Dial but should have gone with Long Range Hunter style knob because one full turn of the knob takes you not much past 100 but for how I use it with 40 gr sub sonic ammo and a 6x Super Sniper it works for me.  The other I have on a Leupold Mk 4 300 WM that will probably never have any other bullet than a 190 SMK at 2900 fps shot out of it and its zeroed at 600 yds which works since the range I shoot on only goes to 600.

I've tried lots of systems but for me I find that mil based reticles with mil based adjustments work very well for me particularly the Super Sniper 3-9.  One of those on a stainless Tikka   with Talley lightweight ring mounts would do nicely.  I shot a Tikka 30-06 with SS  6x that is not mine last time I went to the range and the bullet holes were touching so I'm not sure one needs to spend countless thousands on a custom rifle to have one that shoots well.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html
https://swfa.com/talley-lightweight-aluminum-30mm-scopemount-670.html
http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2017 at 21:04
feklar, your approach is simple, but it also limits you to a single bullet under one set temperature, humidity, altitude, etc.  And one load, of course.
If any of the above changes, yor dial turret will be significantly off past 300 yards. 

I did the following: I purchased a Nikon M 308 scope, which has quite decent optics and excellent adjustable turret dials.
I painted and blackened the elevation turret (it was engraved for some goofy .308 load) and i waited for average weather (pressure, temp. etc.).
With best hand loads in hand, i headed to the range and i shot targets at every 100 yards   all the way to 700 yrd. I used a fine silver paint pen to mark my dope on the turret dial. Over time i learned how to adjust for very cold weather, wind, much higher elevation (add or subtract a few clicks).
To this day i have no idea what is the velocity on my ammo, but if i read the wind right i can hit water bottles at 700 yards. 
But i only do that on coffee cups, paint cans, and golf balls.
On animals i just hunt them closer.

che View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote che Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 06:19
Rancid Coolaid,

I like your advice, "Learn to use a Christmas tree reticle".

What is an entry level or high relative value MOA based Christmas tree reticle scope?
Ksawyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2018 at 22:01
I have a Steiner scope for which I made a custom turret band. I used Microsoft Visio drawing software to duplicate the tick spacing on the scope turret and put numbers along the scale for each hundred yards of distance and bold ticks at the 50 yard intervals. I printed the turret band on mailing label stock, cut it with a scissors, and wrapped it around the turret. Ballistics were determined using the federal ballistics calculator for my load. I would post a picture but not sure how to do that in here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic