OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suggest good hunting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggest good hunting scope
    Posted: November/15/2017 at 18:31
I used to be a fairly active member here and daily reader but hadn't been here much in 3 or 4 years due to job and duties of life. I'm not up to date on optics like I used to be but I know I can get good advice here. I'm looking for a good solid hunting scope with decent glass to put on a 30 06 browning bar auto. Plex reticle, something in 3x9x40 or maybe a 50mm objective. Most shooting less than 150 yds with majority probably less than 100 yds. Now this scope is for a buddy that don't know about good optics and he ain't willing to spend to much. Would like find something 250 bucks or little less. I have good upper end nikons and bushnells. Couple of zeiss conquest and recently sold a kahles scope for a thousand just due to not using it much. I wish I hadn't but guy offered and I took it. With that said ,I have had a Sightron ll 3x9x42 for bout 10 years and it's a good scope for the money. I love the thing. So I let him look thru it and he likes it but what else is out there for this kind of money. Thanks in advance for those that take the time to recommend something.
PWR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PWR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 19:30
I'm kind of in the same boat as you.  I've heard good things about the Vortex Diamondback.

Here's one in 3-9x40:
https://swfa.com/vortex-3-9x40-diamondback-rifle-scope.html

The same scope is also offered with a Bullet Drop Compensation Reticle for the same price.

Here's a good article but it's a little dated:
http://opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html

Good luck, there seems to be a whole bunch of really good, affordable 3-9's these days.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 19:34
I believe you could get a Burris Fullfield E1 in 3-9 for pretty close to $250.00. That’s where I’d go.

I’ve also heard good things about the new Burris Droptine, as well. That one should be south of $200.00 and leave home some money for practice ammo.

You might want to check out the Redfield Revolution, also.

And don’t forget to scour the internet for deals on Nikon scopes. It seems I always stumble across crazy deals where $500.00 Nikons are on sale for like $269.95 or some such.

I’m also hearing good things about the new Bushnell Trophy Xtreme scopes, although I have yet to check them out. The Bushnell Elite 3500 is a fantastic scope in this price range.

Edited by seattlesetters - November/15/2017 at 19:48
PWR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PWR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 19:36
Can't remember how to edit, too much time on Facebook I guess! LOL

Here's the complete review:

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=77
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 20:04
There are a lot of good scopes in the $200 to $300 range. I would pick a 3-9x set and forget it type of hunting scope. Almost every manufacturer has one of those in that price range. Pick one with few bells and whistles as then the design will be focused on reliabily and decent optical quality instead of cheaply done bells and whistles.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 21:38
Originally posted by PWR PWR wrote:

Can't remember how to edit, too much time on Facebook I guess! LOL
Just an FYI you need 50 posts to be able to edit.
PWR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PWR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 22:11
Ahh-haa!  Thanks
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2017 at 21:23
My deer rifle wears a VX3 1.75-6 and I really like it.  It's not as bright and clear as some of my Swarovski glass but its bright and clear enough to hunt deer in heavy timber from dark thirty thru dark thirty.  The FOV is 50ish feet at 100yds on low which means when they sneak up behind you and sound like a squirrel at 10 yards you can easily see the whole animal and pick your shot location.  Its very light weight and compact as well which helps to not throw off the balance of a light hunting weight gun.  I'll never need more than 4x to place a shot on a deer so I've not turned it up above 4x in the woods.  It can be had for about $350 which isn't that much more expensive for something that will last a lifetime.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2017 at 12:37
You can find an excellent deal on at Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x if you google. There's one on the SWFA sample list, too. 
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2017 at 12:42
Originally posted by gdpolk gdpolk wrote:

My deer rifle wears a VX3 1.75-6 and I really like it.  It's not as bright and clear as some of my Swarovski glass but its bright and clear enough to hunt deer in heavy timber from dark thirty thru dark thirty.  The FOV is 50ish feet at 100yds on low which means when they sneak up behind you and sound like a squirrel at 10 yards you can easily see the whole animal and pick your shot location.  Its very light weight and compact as well which helps to not throw off the balance of a light hunting weight gun.  I'll never need more than 4x to place a shot on a deer so I've not turned it up above 4x in the woods.  It can be had for about $350 which isn't that much more expensive for something that will last a lifetime.

That's a good lead slingin' scope. I like mine very well. When you hunting in the woods and the bucks are chasing, 1.75x beats the snot out of 3x. I have found, though, that middle age is making me slower when shooting at distance with low magnification scopes. I used to be good to 300 with 6x. Now I'm good and slow to settle without a little more magnification. I'm nearly blind without strong glasses, though.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2017 at 16:41
3-9x Nikon Buckmaster for $96 right now on sale from our friends at SWFA. 

Killer deal...
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2017 at 10:39
I put a new VX-1 2x7x33 on my 30-30 and its awesome in the woods. 

I put a 3-9x40 on my AR15. Great scope for the money, its what a VX3 was a few years ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic