OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Started Thanksgiving Dinner prep...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Started Thanksgiving Dinner prep...
    Posted: November/20/2017 at 19:26
Started the dressing… using Axis sausage as the basis.  My Lady refused to allow me to put jalapenos in it…
I ALMOST got away with it, but got caught…

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2017 at 22:29
Four different mushroom types… crimini, chanterelles, portabella, shiitake.  The blend works well with multiple spices, red wine, butter, extra virgin olive oil, aged balsamic vinegar, real chicken broth, onion, garlic, celery, the Axis sausage and "piece de resistance", cornbread… Lori said it was the best I've ever made.  
Tomorrow, I construct apple and pear compote and my own version of cranberry relish.  The compote requires a lot of riesling, so it is always fun… a little wine for the compote… a little wine for me… a little wine for the compote… a little more wine for me… always love making the compote...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 04:19
I started defrosting a Turkey and a Pork Shoulder Sunday.
Monday I had the bird in cold water for about 10 hours then back to fridge.
Today I will start brining the bird.  I will also water defrost the shoulder and start brining it.

I will smoke the shoulder (mostly pecan) above the turkey then stuff bird and finish in oven. 

Stuffing not resolved yet.  An olive oil sautee of mushroom, onion, celery, garlic, hatch pepper, then dill, parsley, salt, pepper, bread, chicken broth and some sausage.  
It might be some fresh chorizo or something local (Buds or Guys) or it might be something else.  
I have some Rabideaux (Lake Charles LA), but I also think I have some Gaspars Linguica (N Dartmouth MA, but available in Publix).

Cuz’s Sop

2 cups apple cider vinegar

1 cup water

3 Tablespoons ground black pepper    

2 Tablespoons table salt

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 Tablespoon paprika

1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper

Warm ingredients over low heat, stirring occasionally. 

Here ya go. This has the pork rub on it and if you want to sop the pork shoulder you can use the sop.  The sop also works great as a brine. Pour the sop in a small ice chest with your pork in it, fill with water to just above the pork shoulder and put a bag of ice in it. Let it brine for at least 24 hrs adding ice as needed.

Take it out of the brine and let it come to room temp before smoking.

Edited by HKtoTikka - November/21/2017 at 06:11
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 06:17
This is what I made for Thanksgiving potluck at work

I didnt use a pigs foot, I used smoked beef neck instead, so it didnt thicken, but it was well received at work and at the HomeBrew club meeting that evening.

Daube Creole

I have had great results with the recipes at that site, I have done Red Beans and Rice and Shrimp Etouffee.  I dont know whether I did his gumbo, I do gumbo based on a Prudhomme recipe and then take it from there.  If you use his recipes, in his Cajun Spice recipe, use about 1/2 to 2/3 the recommended salt.

Larded Beef Roast Recipe

5 lb Beef Roast, preferably from the Round
1/4 lb Salt pork fat, cut into thin strips (1/2″ X 3″)
1 Tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
3 Fresh Bay Leaves, very finely chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Tbsp Spanish Onion, minced
1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
2 Tbsp Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Freshly Grated Black Pepper

Make 1 inch long incisions about 3 inches deep all over the roast. Toss the salt pork strips with the remaining ingredients.

From Daube Creole

Fill each incision with some of the seasoned salt pork mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

From Daube Creole

Daube Creole Recipe

3 Tbsp Lard or Bacon drippings
1 5 lb Larded Beef Round (recipe above)
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
All Purpose Flour for dusting
1 Large Spanish Onion, chopped
3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Cup Dry Sherry
2 Quarts Beef Stock
5 Carrots, cut into 1/2″ dice
2 Turnips, cut into 1/2″ dice
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Pork Foot, split
3 Bay Leaves
1 Bunch Fresh Thyme, tied

Season the larded roast very liberally with salt and black pepper and dust lightly all over with the flour. Heat the lard in a large Dutch Oven on high heat. When very hot, sear the larded roast on all sides until very brown. Remove the roast to a plate.

From Daube Creole

Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, stirring well, making sure to get all of the brownings from the bottom of the pot. When the onion is nicely browned add the tomato paste. Cook for several minutes, browning the paste slightly. Add the sherry and bring to a boil over high heat to cook off the alcohol.

Add the stock, carrots, turnips, garlic, split pig’s foot, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil, then return the roast to the pot, turn the heat down to a simmer.

Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

When the roast is tender remove to a cutting board. Turn up the heat and reduce the sauce by half. Remove the pig’s foot, bay leaves, and thyme. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Add the chopped parsley.

Slice the roast in thin slices and cover generously with the sauce. Serve over Creole Boiled Rice or cooked pasta.

Edited by HKtoTikka - November/21/2017 at 06:29
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 07:55
Looks great.  

My brine is:
peppercorns
fennel
clove 
bay leaves
Of Course salt
(all to taste or preference… go light on the clove)
water
Riesling

Turkey will start brining today.  

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 08:27
The only reason I'm not going to HKtoTikka's for Thanksgiving, is because Kickboxer's is closer.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 09:33
I think I'm up for a two'fer....
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 10:18
I love cooking with wine… sometimes I even put it in the food...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 17:29
About another half hour on the pear and apple compote… looking good so far.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 18:11
Compote is finished.  Tomorrow is my own cranberry/cherry relish, butternut squash casserole, sweet potato pie…. all that will be left is rolls and the turkey.  Cooking the turkey with a new method for me… oil less "air fried".  Basically convection cooking, I've just never used this "medium" before.  

HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 18:50
Both brines done.  Pressure cooking some short ribs with spanish onions, red onions, garlic, coarse paprika (with oil), isot pepper, rosemary and thyme in beef broth. I'll add some red wine later.

If you don't know about this paprika, you need to find some:

Edited by HKtoTikka - November/21/2017 at 19:41
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 18:59
Originally posted by HKtoTikka HKtoTikka wrote:

Both brines done.  Pressure cooking some short ribs with spanish onions, red onions, garlic, coarse paprika (with oil), isot pepper, rosemary and thyme in beef broth. I'll add some red wine later.

If you don't know about this paprika, you need to find some:

I've not used the pressure cooker in a while… used to use it regularly… time.
Thank you for the tip.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2017 at 15:16
Everything is finished, except the turkey, rolls, and some snow peas we found fresh.  

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.  May your blessings be uncountable and your thanks be unlimited.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 19:34
The dinner is done.  I must say, the brining with the oil less fryer produced the best turkey I have ever cooked… will be my method for the foreseeable future.

Overall, the family loved it… which makes the whole process worthwhile.  Had a great day with wife, daughters, boyfriends/husbands.  MUCH to be thankful for.

God bless our troops and keep them safe.  I hope this day was good...

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 20:24
Awww shucks! I guess I'll turn around and go home now. I missed it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2017 at 07:33
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Awww shucks! I guess I'll turn around and go home now. I missed it.

You and Mrs BF would always be welcome… plenty left over.  But… you WERE late...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic