OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope, peep or red dot for 45-70 Handi rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope, peep or red dot for 45-70 Handi rifle
    Posted: November/22/2017 at 22:57
I have a H&R Handi rifle in 45-70.  It came with a Williams rear notch sight and plain front blade.  I'm not too happy with the rear notch sight and want a replacement.  My two complaints are difficulty seeing the sights and target well and poor adjustments.  The top of the sight has two set screws for loosening the elevation or windage.  There is no click type adjustment.  It is free to move up or down on the ramp or left and right.  There are hash marks but I want something better.  Williams has a peep that mounts to the rear of the receiver that looks good and has good reviews (WGRS-H&R).  What I don't know is what kind of adjustment it is.  Is it like the one I have and its free to move my loosening a set screw?  The Skinner sights look great too.  If I went for a scope it will be low magnification like 1-4 or 2-7.  This rifle will be used for 50-125 yard deer and pigs and range pinking.  The end of the year is tight and I would like to keep everything under $150.  What say the hive?  The peep sights are cheaper and have a classic look but I'm concerned about the adjustments.  The scope could very easily exceed my budget but I'm familiar with them.  One last thing, are red dots up to the task of the heavy recoil of a hot 45-70?

Stamp collecting since 2015
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2017 at 23:11
Weaver v3 1-3x20 is the first one that comes to mind.  It is tiny and just about right for this rifle.

If you want a little more magnification Burris FFII or Vortex Diamondback in 2-7x35.
ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2017 at 23:32
My Henry 45-70 with Skinner sight… adjustment is fine.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 00:07
KB, the Skinner is beautiful.  I think I'm talking myself into one.  Thanks Ilya for the suggestions too. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 04:37
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

One last thing, are red dots up to the task of the heavy recoil of a hot 45-70?

Aimpoints and other top tier red dots can take a LOT of punishment. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 04:59
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

One last thing, are red dots up to the task of the heavy recoil of a hot 45-70?

Aimpoints and other top tier red dots can take a LOT of punishment. 

Even a lot of budget red dots have gotten pretty sturdy.  I am not sure about the sub-$150 ones, but HiLux MM2 that I have been messing with is absolutely rock solid and apparently has been very robust in other people's experience as well.

Moving up the food chain a bit, I think Shield SIS is arguably the sturdiest built red dot I have seen yet.  Admittedly, it is hard to tell the difference in durability between two products that have not failed on you, but I have talked to multiple SAS people that said they managed to kill their Aimpoints, but not their Shields.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 05:52
SAS.....?

Related image
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 07:33

KB, the Skinner is beautiful.  I think I'm talking myself into one.  Thanks Ilya for the suggestions too. 

Very fast on target, keeps the lines sleek.. I'm really glad I decided on it over the other options.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 11:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

SAS.....?

Related image

Yep. Apparently, they have switched to Shield SIS and CQS.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 13:03
Ive used Aimpoint 9000L sights on 45-70 with no problem but that way out of the price range even with the black friday discount.  I grew up with open sights so I could live with them and over time be quite comfortable with it the way it is, but there are some advantages to an optic.  I would go 2-7 probably a Redfield or a Vortex.  I find that in low light a low power optic is helpful, just remember to keep the magnification turned down in low light to make the scope brighter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 20:48
I'm still liking the Skinner sights.  The scope will be a max of 7x if I get one.  My spending limit is probably impractical for scopes.  I can wait longer to save to get a better optic. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2017 at 05:35
While I willingly acknowledge and appreciate Mr. Koshkin's larger sphere of influence, I haven't heard of many/any failures of Aimpoint Micro's. 

Did the troops indicate exactly WHAT failed? 

I'm a well known Aimpoint leg humper, to a fault admittedly, but I couldn't be any more pleased with my T-1.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic