OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Difference in Zeiss Terra 42mm versus 50mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference in Zeiss Terra 42mm versus 50mm
    Posted: November/23/2017 at 08:34
I was looking at the specs of the Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 versus the 50mm and I'm wondering what the appeal would be for the 50mm?

The 42mm FOV at 100 yards is 35.9' - 12.3',

The 50mm FOV at 100 yards is 34.8' - 11.3',

The only difference I can see is the Twilight factor:

42mm - 11.2 - 19.4 versus 50mm of 11.6 - 22.1.

The exit pupil favors the 50mm but I'm not sure I could see the difference with my old eyes unless I crank the magnification all the way up which I probably wouldn't do for shooting yotes. Thanks.

saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 08:37
8mm more junk.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2017 at 11:09
Low light performance.

Terra being a monumental turd if a riflescope, I'd look elsewhere.
ydennekb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ydennekb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2017 at 19:01
Turd? I’ve got one on a hunting rifle that seems fine, what kind of issues are these scopes having?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2017 at 19:25
Originally posted by ydennekb ydennekb wrote:

Turd? I’ve got one on a hunting rifle that seems fine, what kind of issues are these scopes having?

I have discussed in detail and compared my 2-7x32 Terra about 4 years ago when i purchased it.
Since then, i have tried at least 3 other 32 mm scopes and i still think that the Terra is the worst of them. 
The main problem  with the Terra is that it is a $120 scope branded with the Zeiss logo and sold for $300. To me that is a scam.
The other issues i have with my 32mm Terra did not prevent me from installing it on my inline muzzle loader, since i rarely hunt with that rifle and it is good enough at 2.5x or 3x power.
Here is what i don't like about it: poor sharpness and contrast in bright light, tunnel vision effect, changing eye relief, fussy eye box and eye position, not at all sharp and bright at anything over 4x (but good enough for low light hunting at  3x). The field of view is not wide, or does not feel wide as it should be at 3x.
Here is what i like about it: not much, except maybe the good hunting reticle, good protection against glare and flare when the sun is low, the flat field of view sharp to the edge and nice, clear, bright image (but only up to about 3.5x. The reticle adjustment knobs are soft and mushy, but the scope holds zero just fine. I would not want this scope for dial adjustable knobs, i don't think that the knobs are very precise and adjustable.  The zoom and focus are tight and do not move freely, i like that. Seems well built with bellow average optics and seriously overpriced because of that.
I compared this scope with Weaver Kaspa and Nikon Prostaff recently, apples for apples (32 mm scopes). They are both much better and much cheaper. The Terra is nowhere near the Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32mm, which is one of the best 32 mm hunting scopes available at any price these days (yes, it is bright long into the night).
I would not describe the Terra scope as a monumental turd, just an overpriced turd. I would call myself a monumental idiot for purchasing it and not returning it.

Edited by anweis - November/26/2017 at 19:39
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2017 at 10:36
That's about right, except experience is mostly with the 3-9x40 model.

ILya
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2017 at 21:07
I just bought a Minox ZA3 3-9x40 with the #4 reticle these old eyes need in low light. Ouch
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2018 at 14:58
That is what my ZA5 has, and I really like it. 

So does my Duralyt. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic