OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ageing eyes, need help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ageing eyes, need help!
    Posted: November/27/2017 at 18:55
So at 61 my vision is not what it once was. I spend a lot of time glassing Whitetail deer, the yardages are not extreme but the need for detail is there. The last few years I have been using the German built Minox 8x43 bino. It has severed me well but I feel like I need to move up to a 10X, I am OK with shopping for Alpha's but I am open minded to others also. 

I am considering going 10x50 in lieu of 10x42, please share any experiences you have with either and your experiences with the different makers and their models.

Thanks,

Randy

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2017 at 19:01

Randy:

You have a very good question, and it cannot be answered easily, without you

telling us your budget.  As you know things get better up to some point the more

you spend on optics.  We could say just get a Zeiss SF or a Swaro. EL SV, and don't look

back.

Jerry

RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2017 at 19:21
Jerry, I have been looking at the Zeiss and Swaro's and Leica. They are expensive but being able to resolve what I am looking at is worth it to me.

I am actually giving the 10x50's a lot of consideration. I do not move around a lot, so weight is not a big concern. I am just hoping to hear from you guys that have used these type's of bino's, I would love to hear your impressions.

Randy
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2017 at 19:54

Randy:

I will give you 2 models to think about, as I have spent plenty of time with them,

plus I have experience with other top types.  For a 10x50, the Swarovski 10x50 SLC

is a very nice binocular, it is very bright, this is the older version, the newer the better.

The Swarovski SLC Neu, and it rises to the top for what you are looking for.

Also, I find the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 is also very good. the brightest among the

current mid-range binoculars.  Good luck in your search.

Jerry

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2017 at 20:51
https://swfa.com/swarovski-10x50-el-binocular.html

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gunut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2017 at 22:32
Since you are already familiar with the Minox line ....I suggest you look at the BL 10X44 HD ...I would say the view is as good as the Zeiss conquest and for hundreds less....
gunut
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2017 at 13:07

You might look into Alpen binoculars. ‘You want paperweights? They got’em. You want “alphas”? They got’em ... at a MUCH lower cost, and their support and return policy is superb—or at least was for me.

If you investigated 200 Asian brands, you would learn they all came from half a dozen plants. When Alpen started (1997), they visited my shop in Seattle. Tim Gardner didn’t know me from Adam. But, while I was ready to hear his line ... he didn’t offer one! He gave me the straight skinny the first time and did not claim his products to be anything they weren’t. That was something I couldn’t say about most of the other reps. Heck, when the Steiner rep came by on days when I was wearing low-tops, I knew I would be going home with soiled socks.

The idea that everybody is making everybody else’s products is not a new thing. I love my Marlin 336c ... although it was made by Remington. And the original eyepieces for the world-class Questar telescope came from Bushnell, which came from Kowa.

For my money, an honest dealer is more important to peace of mind than the name emblazoned on the product.

Good luck.

Bill

“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2017 at 17:42
thanks guys I am reviewing all of them. Today I have been trying to determine why the Swaro EL are $1K more (there about) than the SLC HD models. 10x42's actually!

I find some glowing recommendations for the Zeiss Conquest HD's also.

There is enough info out there to keep a fellow busy for a while. 

Randy
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 11:36
Would any of you have any comments comparing the Leica Ultravid 10x50 HD-Plus & Swavorski EL 10x50 Swarovision?

Thanks,

Randy
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 13:29
When it's all said and done it's all about ergonomics and eye relief as otherwise all are pretty good.
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 23:33
Originally posted by RTA48 RTA48 wrote:

Would any of you have any comments comparing the Leica Ultravid 10x50 HD-Plus & Swavorski EL 10x50 Swarovision?

Thanks,

Randy

I get into trouble just about every time I bring this up but, being a glutton for punishment, I’ll try again in the hopes the thought might help you.

Oldfortyfive has the right idea. Noted optical systems designer Dr. Dick Buchroeder of Optical Design Service of Tucson has been applying a critical eye to Nikon’s $6,000 WX 7x50. The result: while for daytime use better glass types and AR coatings give the WX a SLIGHT edge over an 80-year old US Navy Mk 41 7x50, no improvement was documented over that 80-year old binocular for amateur astronomy.

Go to any binocular forum and you can be immersed in wild speculations about which bino is the best. That’s why the FIRST vignette in my book is titled: “Which is Better?” The fact is that when you are in the realm of a series of binoculars of similar quality, the difference in perceived optical performance is almost always (unless you are Einstein, Superman, or Christ) below the threshold of recognition of those declaring opinion as fact. In addition, one must take into consideration physiological differences of the observers. These may include: early onset glaucoma, cataracts, strabismus, retinal tears and scaring, floaters, macular pucker induced distortion, and other anomalies, as well as photopic vs. scotopic (day or night) vision.   

Many of these folks will refer you to a marketer’s sales verbiage, which is frequently inaccurate, or refer you to myriad tests to prove their point. However, different tests performed at different times with different subjects having different ranges of accommodation for different visual acuities under different conditions will produce different results.

The bottom line: you can get into some interesting conversations that are just as beneficial as a steering wheel on a rock.

Any number of very well-meaning folks will help you to spend YOUR money on the binocular THEY would like to have.

Within the realm you are looking, you are trying to split hairs with an ax.

Choose the aperture and magnification you want—after reasoning those things out. Choose one that feels good in your hands AND at your eyes. Chose one with adequate eye relief. Choose one with a good track record of dependability. Choose one that you can afford without having to go to divorce court. Choose one from a manufacturer with a reputation (decades, not years) for great warranty and repair service. And finally, learn to be comfortable with the notion that there is no perfect decision.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck,

Bill

Edited by WJC - December/07/2017 at 10:59

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 12:00
Bill, thank you for your kind words. I've ventured way too far down the rabbit hole (ie, $$$$$) before being wising up some.
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 12:32
Hiya, Old:

My SE will do me excellently for the rest of my life and for the millions of words spilled onto "binocular forums" I don't think there are any humans out there who can truthfully detect $20 difference between it and the big three companies with their incredibly expensive offerings. Talk is cheap (and MORE than plentiful); great instruments are not. Maturity comes in handy.

I’m certainly not appreciative of the following (as presented), but the wisdom can be applied today’s bino greed.

“An old bull and a yearling are standing together on a hill overlooking the herd. All of a sudden, the yearling starts bouncing and fidgeting and says: “Hey, what say we RUN DOWN the hill and make love to a beautiful heifer!?” The old bull slowly turns his head to address the upstart: “Why don’t we WALK DOWN the hill and make love to several.”

28 Rickenbacker guitars and 4 4001/1 basses (and MANY others) and having next to no talent, I think I can speak accurately of the situation. The same is true with bino forums. Some of those with all the answers are the same folks with the least experience and understanding. The camaraderie is always great but reason lags way behind.

Merry Christmas

Bill   

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 13:29
I have a Nikon Action 10x50 binocular that I have been quite pleased with… it meets all my needs.  When at China Lake, I was issued Fujinon and a group I worked with at Redstone Arsenal used Fujinon as well.  I really liked the Fuji's.  Fujinon was the first image stabllized binocular I used.  Fuji's are much more expensive than the Nikon Action, and I did not percieve enough difference to warrant purchase over the Nikon Action.  I've experimented with a number of the "top of the line" brands… just never saw enough difference to entice me to purchase over what I have.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 14:02

And YOU may NEVER be able to tell the difference. However, as one who has been on the inside and has spoken with many buyers of each, I can assure you that your great grandkids will be able to tell. One will be passed down with pride while the other will only be remembered through your writing about it. Even so, if you give your gear the respect it deserves, it will probably please you all the years you are above ground.

Names like China Lake and Redstone conjure up images of federal employees. What did you do for them?

Bill

Edited by WJC - December/07/2017 at 17:11

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 14:45
Despite all the thousands I've burned through on glass my favorite pair is a Vortex Fury 6.5x30 I picked up on close out for $125. Great eye relief, field of view and image.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 17:35
Originally posted by WJC WJC wrote:

And YOU may NEVER be able to tell the difference. However, as one who has been on the inside and has spoken with many buyers of each, I can assure you that your great grandkids will be able to tell. One will be passed down with pride while the other will only be remembered through your writing about it. Even so, if you give your gear the respect it deserves, it will probably please you all the years you are above ground.

Names like China Lake and Redstone conjure up images of federal employees. What did you do for them?

Bill

I didn't get them to "pass down to future generations"… I don't care much for binoculars.  I can tell the difference, just don't care enough about binoculars to spend more.  The Nikon works just fine.

I still work for Redstone, spent 15 years at China Lake. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2017 at 17:45
A big thanks to all that offered their insight, it was valuable. After spending some time looking thru several different options I chose the Kowa 10.5 x 44 Prominar HD or something like that. 

I liked what my eyes told me when looking through them, I like their heft, no problem holding steady. I did not encounter any of the rolling ball effect I have heard so much about. Having used Kowa spotting scopes I like their products plus I liked the price point of these bino's compared to some of the others.

Thanks again,

Randy

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2017 at 20:26
Congratulations on the Kowa binocular.  Once recommended to me by a highly respected optics provider (with SWFA) as a "BEST BUY".  

RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2017 at 22:56
Well guys I received the Kowa bino's and after most of 2 weeks using them I am sending them back. I just could not get comfortable with them.

Bill, I ordered and read your book. I will admit there was a portion that was somewhat over my head but I did feel like I learned some things that will help me with my continued search. 

Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic