OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I was blown away this morning with my Leupold VX2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I was blown away this morning with my Leupold VX2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I was blown away this morning with my Leupold VX2
    Posted: November/27/2017 at 21:22
Back in the spring I stumbled across a bargain on a new sealed Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS. I recently mounted it on modified Savage platform in 450BM.

I was sitting in my tripod stand this morning with the 450M cradled in a Caldwell Treepod and as it was just starting to get light, I leaned forward to look thru the scope. It was set on 5x and it looked like somebody turned on the football stadium lights! 

If a deer had come across the winter wheat field I would not have known if it was a buck or not with my eyes. But looking thru the VX2 I would have been able to count tines. I have 3 different Zeiss scopes but this little gem rocks!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2017 at 00:22
Up to 6x it should be pretty bright with a 40mm objective.  Handy scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 15:51
Image result for red skelton laughing
Visit the Ed Show
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 13:45
I have 2 new VX-1's and they are great, especially considerig what I paid for them. 

I havce never looked through a Leupold that failed to disappoint me. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 13:54
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

I have never looked through a Leupold that failed to disappoint me. 

Me too!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 17:54
Leupold:  For those times when nothing less than a scope that never fails to disappoint will do.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 22:50
I have 4 Leupolds, two I bought, two I inherited. I bought the two because I didn’t know better. All 4 of them suck compared to my other glass. Moved one to my .17hmr, yep it still sucks but it holds zero and I kill tree rats with it.
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2017 at 18:53

I have 2 new VX-1's and they are great, especially considerig what I paid for them. 

Uuuuh, say what?
Wf
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2017 at 19:26
What's the knock on Leupold other than they pad the price to cover the warranty?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2017 at 20:17
Originally posted by saltydog235 saltydog235 wrote:

I have 4 Leupolds, two I bought, two I inherited. I bought the two because I didn’t know better. All 4 of them suck compared to my other glass. Moved one to my .17hmr, yep it still sucks but it holds zero and I kill tree rats with it.

Just saying 4 leupolds doesn’t give us much. Leupold has cheap and very expensive. Which models do u own that suck so bad?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2017 at 22:52
I have everything from the older fixed power target scopes to VarixII's &III's and tactical III's  To competition scopes to VX2's, VX3's, a VX3i, VXR, a bunch of MK4's, prismatics, had the CQT, had deltapoints, had the scooped out L models, etc.  Probably more which I'm forgetting.  I probably have 30 leupolds right now, but I've bought my last one.  A buddy of mine still buys them religiously, but I've relegated them to the daytime plinkers and range rifles and safe queens. 

They used to be my one and only brand for a long time.  Then I bought a zeiss and my eyes were opened. After that I bought Kahles and Swaro, the economical Zeiss Conquests, and then was won over by meopta in terms of quality for the price.   

IMO Leupold is fine with their mechanical adjustments.  I've only ever had one or two go bad.  But the glass is nothing special at all, especially in terms of low light.  

My 10x Super Sniper looks to be just as bright as a MK4 costing far more.    
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 08:03
mk4s never impressed me much in the optical quality area either. I remember comparing them to my IOR and SS hd scopes in precision rifle classes and it was like a light turned off when looking through them.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 08:29
Two VX3’s and two Vari-X Ii’s. The VX3’s have been sent for warranty work. They flair like hell in sunlight and suck balls in low light. Lost the seals in one and had an erector go in the other, in fairness it got dropped. The Vari-X II I have on my son’s .243 isn’t bad until it gets 10 minutes past sunset, then it’s useless. The 4-12X40 VXII I have on the .17hmr is the best of the bunch but still sucks in any sort of moderate to low light.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 09:37
I was a Leupold basher for a while, but i bought a few over the last few years and think they are as good as anything else in their comparative price ranges.  In a few models I like what they offer more. 

I have flaring issues with my vxi and my fxII like you are seeing, but not seen that with my VXR, vx3s, VX5 and VX6.

I am not saying any Leupold is a Swaro Z6 or Zeiss Victory as I know first hand they glass is a little better in those, but the higher end Leupolds compare well in their given price ranges IMO.  So many will compare a $400 Leupold VX3 to a $1500 Swaro or Zeiss.  And of course they are not going to compare.  But compare a VX6 HD to one of those and they compare much better. 

For $900 getting a scope that has a zero lock elevation turret, excellent illumination, and great glass is awesome IMO. 

I tested my vx5 and vx6 this year and could see deer easily past legal shooting limits.    

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 12:37
I don't get all the bashing. The new vx1 scopes I bought are as good to me as a Burris fulfield.

Every one. Have looked through had a great eye box. I can see why people like them. Lifetime warranty is good too.

I hate to break it to some of you, but the idea of dropping 1500 plus on a scope I'm going to take in the woods and scratch all up doesn't appeal to me.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 13:58
"Variable eye relief".

I don't understand why that's still a thing.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 17:06
Originally posted by Whitefire Whitefire wrote:

Uuuuh, say what?
Wf

If he amends his, I have to amend mine too.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 17:50
Egg nog moment....
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 18:44
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by Whitefire Whitefire wrote:

Uuuuh, say what?
Wf

If he amends his, I have to amend mine too.

👍🥃💥💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2018 at 15:02
Ok amended, in simple terms.

Every leupold I have looked through made me realize why they are popular. They may not be the best scope out there, for the money or otherwise, but they have all been nice, bright and clear to my eyes. 

Happy?? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic