OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I was blown away this morning with my Leupold VX2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I was blown away this morning with my Leupold VX2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2018 at 15:22
It was not a personal jab, I just thought it funny that I agreed with the statement but probably not the intention (Leupold has never failed to disappoint me), but need clarification on that last one:

Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

They may not be the best scope out there, for the money or otherwise, but they have all been nice, bright and clear to my eyes. 

If something is, admittedly, not the best, why buy it?  If I can do better for the same or less money, why would I buy something that isn't up to the task?

I am not a Leupold fan, first for my experiences with them that began more than 20 years ago, next for their slow move away from "Made in the USA" but slower move away from documenting/admitting to it.

I hear much of their new stuff is quite good, I haven't used enough of it to say.

I am occasionally required to use a Leupold, and do so grudgingly.  Of the scopes in that category, I have yet to be impressed.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - January/03/2018 at 09:20
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2018 at 17:47

Ok amended, in simple terms.

Every leupold I have looked through made me realize why they are popular. They may not be the best scope out there, for the money or otherwise, but they have all been nice, bright and clear to my eyes. 

Happy?? 

I hate Leupold so much that the last 2 scopes I've purchased are....Leupold. Wink 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2018 at 17:49
I trust Leupold on my 10/22  Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 07:59
I trusted my VX3 to take this 190" muley buck a couple of weeks ago.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 08:09
I recently purchased the first Leupold I've purchased in over 15 years… a VX-HOG for my 300BLK.  I got it from the samplelist at what I consider to be a good price.  It is adequate to the task.  I have no hatred of Leupold, just no love for Leupold.  So far, I've only shot raccoons with it, but it doesn't matter if it is a mouse or a T-Rex, as long as it performs as required.  
I had a bad experience with Leupold a number of years back that never was resolved.  I've also, until recently, been less than impressed with their design advances.  Pretty much "same ole, same ole" for 20+ years at ever increasing prices… newer models not included.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 09:31
How many dudes does it take to manage a buck on a wheeler?  haha.

Very nice deer JG.  Excellent
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 09:38
Ha!  I only had one bungee.........
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 09:44
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I trusted my VX3 to take this 190" muley buck a couple of weeks ago.  

Holy crap, what a nice buck, JG! Congrats, man!

You obviously have access to some fantastic muley hunting real estate!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 09:53
Just this past Saturday, I shot this very nice piggy in South Texas.

I shot it in the face with a 6.5Creedmore topped with a Tangent Theta.  

A stick can kill a lion, if put in the right place with the right force; but why use a stick when something better is available.  And that is my opinion of Leupold - having used many over the years, and broken several.

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 10:23
They charge a premium for their product, there is no doubt. But the box on the VX-1 I am sending back for a chip in the glass says lifetime forever. I guess we shall see. The chip is my fault, gun slide off the seat in my truck and hit the cup holder. 

I sent my Minox off a couple weeks ago, the seal that goes between the fitting and the first objective lense came out. They said it goes to Germany and expect at least 3 months. 

As for buying them, I don't know what competes with a new VX-1 right now. The one I got that is going back is the 2-7x33 and it was highly recommended for that application. Marlin 30-30 I guess the better option but more expensive would have been a monarch 2-8x32. It supposedly has really nice glass in it. 

The other VX-1 I bought I put on my AR, and I got it on sale. I wasn't looking for anything special for it. 

I don't know where you guys hunt, but down here, unless I want to sit in a shooting house everytime, I have to get in the woods, and that means its thick and full of briars and other things to scratch everything up. A $2500 Swarovski, Zeiss, or Schmidt and Bender would be nice, but it will look like crap in a couple years, and most shots will be less than 100 yards, and I doubt any of those scopes in low light will tell me there are 50 small tree limbs in between my deer and me. 

Don't get me wrong, I know VX-1's do not compete my my Minox, Zeiss, or Monarch's. I don't hunt with my AR, my kids do. Where I use the 30-30, not sure I would see much if any gain upgrading, but I suppose I could. 

Both the Minox and the Zeiss I got a smoking deal on. My big monarch I got a few years back when there was a rebate and traded in a VX2 I bought used for really more than I paid for it. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 10:36
In South Texas, every plant has a thorn of some sort.  Every piece of gear gets covered in dust then rained on to make a gumbo-type slurry, it's awesome.

That said, I have done a fair bit of hunting in woods and timber, and it is indeed a different game.  Better glass will get you a few minutes more at first and last light, and will give you a bit better image at all times, but yea, law of diminishing returns plays a part.  You need something clear and bright, that does well with contrast.

Get what works for you.

Avoid getting a scope with great glass, it'll make everything lesser took way lesser.  Without that side-by-side comparison, you can tolerate much more.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 10:47
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

A stick can kill a lion, if put in the right place with the right force; but why use a stick when something better is available.  And that is my opinion of Leupold - having used many over the years, and broken several.

I've only killed several hundred inches of mule deer bucks, a couple hundred other head of big game, and countless hogs with Loopy's since 1971.  If it's OK with you I'll keep handicapping myself with them.  I do like the 3-9SS, and much more so the LRHS that sits on my 6.5Creed though, if that makes you feel any better.  
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 10:56

They charge a premium for their product, there is no doubt. But the box on the VX-1 I am sending back for a chip in the glass says lifetime forever. I guess we shall see. The chip is my fault, gun slide off the seat in my truck and hit the cup holder. 

I sent my Minox off a couple weeks ago, the seal that goes between the fitting and the first objective lense came out. They said it goes to Germany and expect at least 3 months. 

As for buying them, I don't know what competes with a new VX-1 right now. The one I got that is going back is the 2-7x33 and it was highly recommended for that application. Marlin 30-30 I guess the better option but more expensive would have been a monarch 2-8x32. It supposedly has really nice glass in it. 

The other VX-1 I bought I put on my AR, and I got it on sale. I wasn't looking for anything special for it. 

I don't know where you guys hunt, but down here, unless I want to sit in a shooting house everytime, I have to get in the woods, and that means its thick and full of briars and other things to scratch everything up. A $2500 Swarovski, Zeiss, or Schmidt and Bender would be nice, but it will look like crap in a couple years, and most shots will be less than 100 yards, and I doubt any of those scopes in low light will tell me there are 50 small tree limbs in between my deer and me. 

Don't get me wrong, I know VX-1's do not compete my my Minox, Zeiss, or Monarch's. I don't hunt with my AR, my kids do. Where I use the 30-30, not sure I would see much if any gain upgrading, but I suppose I could. 

Both the Minox and the Zeiss I got a smoking deal on. My big monarch I got a few years back when there was a rebate and traded in a VX2 I bought used for really more than I paid for it. 

Optics are the least valuable criteria when I choose a riflescope, since any $200 model will get you past legal shooting light nowadays.  The reticle is much more important, as you would obviously be lost without being able to see it in really poor light.  I will agree that retaining POI/POA is the most important asset.  I don't dial my Leupolds much.....very casually.  I've become very fond of the B&C reticle that sits on my 7-08, which launches accubonds at 2820fps.  By sighting in dead on at 215yds, the hashes align perfectly at 300,400,450, and 500 yds.  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 15:27
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

the LRHS that sits on my 6.5Creed though,  

I love my LHRS, superb scope IMO
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 16:48
Well this might shock some of you, but believe it or not, I have shot several "doe's" and really cannot see the reticle when it's dark 30. It's not like I don't know where the crosshairs are, they are in the middle on every scope I have ever looked through. 

I usually pull that sort of thing on a greenfield on deer fairly close, say 50 yards or less, although I did bust a doe the first year I had my 308 Ruger Hawkeye compact with its supplied Burris scope at 75 yards or so. 

Burris went bye bye, replaced with a Zeiss. Much better. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 17:33
Tremendous deer, JG! 

Great piggy, RC! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 17:37
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

In South Texas, every plant has a thorn of some sort.  Every piece of gear gets covered in dust then rained on to make a gumbo-type slurry, it's awesome.

Man, that's a fact! After hog hunting in TX with friends, I got tired of trying to clean out all the "baby powder" type dust and threw my rifle in the hotel bathtub to get it all out.     
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2018 at 15:04
favorite brands always turn into a pissing contest.  

Leupold will never be my first choice again.  I own quite a few of them. Up until around 18 years ago, it's all I bought. I have shot deer with rifles that had a Leupold mounted on it, but I wouldn't say that the reason for getting that deer *was* the Leupold. On the other hand, the reason I was able to take a few other large buck on subsequent hunting trips *was* because of better optics in low light situations.  Most were with 2 different zeiss scopes, a few were with various meoptas. 

Adding them up, I have much, much more than a few hundred inches of whitetail antlers in my trophy room.  If that is what qualifies my opinion.  But whitetails are pretty much the only thing I ever hunt.  No elk, mule deer, or pigs.  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2018 at 15:23
Originally posted by probably probably wrote:

But whitetails are pretty much the only thing I ever hunt.  No elk, mule deer, or pigs.  

That explains it.  It is not possible to hunt elk with anything but a Leupold.  They know and will stay in cover if you try to hunt with anything else. 

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2018 at 15:33
I have lots of pictures of family and friends posing with bucks they've harvested proving without a doubt how good Leupold is.

Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic