OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

If I could Only Have One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If I could Only Have One
    Posted: December/07/2017 at 20:01
I have this ongoing page on my website that I update once a year, usually toward the end of the year as I start planning out my SHOT Show schedule.

I just updated it for 2017:

ILya
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 03:49
 pity no DELTA'S in there Wink 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 07:05
Well done Sir! Thank you. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 07:20
Very good Sir.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 10:49
Originally posted by verminator verminator wrote:

pity no DELTA'S in there Wink 

I've never laid eyes on one, unfortunately.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 11:17
My (quick, unnecessary, possibly not insightful) thoughts:

1.  Tangent Theta is indeed an impressive scope.  Mine rides a Seekins 6.5CM and I am very, very pleased with it.  After some turret-spinning and use in low light, I like it even more.  It wore a clip-on in front a few weeks ago, that was a bit much, but very functional.

2.  Though I hate liking Glocks, the damned things just flat-out work.  I have a lone wolf-built 19 with RMR and it gets lots of use and abuse, great gun, especially behind night vision.                                             
3.  On the "kids go to college", I have exactly that setup and love it.  Mine is a Burris Fastfire3 rather than a doctor, but it is outstanding from point blank to about 500 yards.  That is the perfect fit for an SS3-9.

4.  The Vortex UH-1 is growing on me.  More to follow.

5.  I need to try a Shield RMS.  I have a few RMRs but hate dealing with Trijicon when they screw something up - which they often do, and almost never take responsibility for.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 11:50
I always refer to your DLOO Recommendations page when I'm in the market for a new scope and good to see the update.

New Grendel AR is needing a new scope.  For the interim, it will be a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 that currently sits on a 308 AR that has been relegated to the safe.  Burris XTR might be a good option but probably opt for their 3-15x model.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 12:21
ILya, What's the price range on the tangent Theta 3-15x50?
I've had the Vortex Razor 3-18X50 on my wish list for some time, but the price tag scares me.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 12:37
The Shield RMS looks like a great sight for a Glock. I need to carry mine in a Blackhawk thigh holster though, so no room for it.
Reaction time is a factor...
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 13:05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 13:19
I'm not sure I understand the remark.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 15:18
I would like the article weighted a bit more on the weapon system to which the optic is attached.  You do make mention of weapons, but don't go into reasons for choices.  As an example:

If I had to choose an all-around system ("you can only have one rifle"), I'd be hard pressed to do better than an 18-20" AR10 with a mid (2-10 or 3-15) optic and a red dot or holo on an offset.  My example would be a sig 716 with a 2.5-10x42 NF in an American Defense Recon mount.  The 308 hits much harder than 223 or similar, and my kill radius exceeds that of the 6.5Grendel group.  Granted, I have more weight (not much) and fewer rounds (not many) and that will be seen as a negative to some.  I am a precision fire guy, I am good with both for the significant increase in capabilities.

This would stand in stark contrast to prior years, when I said my one would be a 300WM bolt gun, suppressed, 22-24" barrel, topped with a 3-15 or 3-18 (Premier Heritage was my go-to prior to Tangent Theta.)  That gun is and will always be my first love, but inside 700 yards, it's just too much specialization.  Beyond 700, the Grendel and 223 and even 224 or 6.5 just can't hang in terms of capabilities.  Mine is heavier, slower rate of fire, more cumbersome: true; however, my precision trumps your mag capacity, my simplicity trumps your gun that breaks more, and my long range deployment capabilities will eat your 16" gasser's lunch - and take the milk money too, metaphorically speaking.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 15:56
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I would like the article weighted a bit more on the weapon system to which the optic is attached.  You do make mention of weapons, but don't go into reasons for choices.  As an example:

If I had to choose an all-around system ("you can only have one rifle"), I'd be hard pressed to do better than an 18-20" AR10 with a mid (2-10 or 3-15) optic and a red dot or holo on an offset.  My example would be a sig 716 with a 2.5-10x42 NF in an American Defense Recon mount.  The 308 hits much harder than 223 or similar, and my kill radius exceeds that of the 6.5Grendel group.  Granted, I have more weight (not much) and fewer rounds (not many) and that will be seen as a negative to some.  I am a precision fire guy, I am good with both for the significant increase in capabilities.

This would stand in stark contrast to prior years, when I said my one would be a 300WM bolt gun, suppressed, 22-24" barrel, topped with a 3-15 or 3-18 (Premier Heritage was my go-to prior to Tangent Theta.)  That gun is and will always be my first love, but inside 700 yards, it's just too much specialization.  Beyond 700, the Grendel and 223 and even 224 or 6.5 just can't hang in terms of capabilities.  Mine is heavier, slower rate of fire, more cumbersome: true; however, my precision trumps your mag capacity, my simplicity trumps your gun that breaks more, and my long range deployment capabilities will eat your 16" gasser's lunch - and take the milk money too, metaphorically speaking.

My thoughts on "if I could only have one" have changed over time.  NEMO Omen Recon suppressed with USOptics 3.2-17.  It just doesn't get any better. 
I'd still want the .458 Lott slung across my back...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 16:15
The weapons systems is a different article that I am working on.

That one is a bit more speculative since I am an optics expert, not necessarily a weapons expert.  However, I picked up a few things over the years, so I have my own very specific preferences.

One of those is a very strong preference toward small frame ARs and cartridges that fit in it, hence the Grendel as still being my choice for that.  In terms of energy delivered on target, once we get past 400 yards, it is gives up about 100 yards to the 308, i.e. at 800 yards it has about the same amount of energy as 308 at 900 yards (assuming we are talking about the same overall package length, i.e. a 16" 308 vs 17" Grendel).

For a general purpose rifle, anything that happens beyond 800 yards is not very critical to me.  I am not going up against a platoon of snipers.  However, up close and personal is important and shot-to-shot recovery with the Grendel is much closer to 5.56 than to 308, while terminal performance is closer to 308 than to 5.56.

I fully agree that if need to significantly extend the range, other calibers make more sense.  That comes down to everyone's definition of "general purpose".  I suspect yours and mine differ.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - December/08/2017 at 16:26
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 16:24
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

The Shield RMS looks like a great sight for a Glock. I need to carry mine in a Blackhawk thigh holster though, so no room for it.

There is a picture in there with Shield RMS mounted on my Glock 43:

Here is my longslide 10mm milled for Doctersight III (iron sights are not here yet):

By the way, if anyone needs some custom milling done on their Glock slide, I know a guy.  The job he did on my long slide 10mm is just superb.

ILya
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 18:08
I have a 18" Grendel setup.  It wears the 3-15 SS.  I really do like the 3-15 range for most things.

As for the handgun, I will take my 226 Sig over the glock.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 01:59
With handguns, it comes down to what you are used to the most.  While a little brand loyalty discussion is always fun, the biggest reason I shoot Glocks is that I learned to shoot with one.  

Aside from that, I like tinkering with guns and Glocks are far easier to work on than any other handgun I am aware of. 

As far as the Grendel goes, mine also has a 18" tube and it launches 123gr factory Hornady ammo right around 2550 fps.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 08:04
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I have a few RMRs but hate dealing with Trijicon when they screw something up - which they often do, and almost never take responsibility for.

Have you had RMR malfunction(s) RC? If so, what happened?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 08:16
Nice blog posts, Ilya. I’ve owned or used roughly half of the optics you cite, and it’s hard to disagree with your selections.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 09:37
Ted, I’ve had several issues with Trijicon over the years, almost every time they refused to stand by their product. I have not had issues with my RMRs but know several did early on, and Trijicon all but blew them off.

They support shooting sports, they support our military, I get all that. I just hate being the customer and being treated like the error is mine when it obviously is not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic