OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

If I could Only Have One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 10:09
Not trying to bust your chops, bro, nor am I trying to defend Trijicon, but you just said they “often” screw stuff up and “almost never” take responsibility. Those words have specific meanings and most readers would conclude from that statement that you have a long history of experiencing both repeated Trijicon product failures and lack of support for same. As someone who owns 2 Accupoints, 1 Accupower, 3 RMRs, 1 MRO, 5 sets of pistol night sights, and have considered buying more in the future, this is info I can use.

Which and how many Trijicon products have you had go TU on you, and what was their response?

Edited by RifleDude - December/09/2017 at 10:16
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 10:19
I have not had a whole lot of issues with Trijicon stuff, but dealing with them has always been complicated.

There were just not responsive.

Most recent thing I find was the widely caring parallax error on the MRO. That's a QC issue and they are blissfully ignoring it.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 10:25
Is the MRO’s parallax error greater than the typical amount of parallax error common to most, if not all reflex dot sights?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 11:32
Seems to vary a lot between the ones I've seen, and on bad ones it is notably worse than I expect for this money.

I saw a report by someone on it a while back, so I looked in on it a little.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 14:20
Here is the write-up that prompted me to start looking at MRO parallax:

All red dot sights have parallax issues, especially the ones with larger window sizes (there are other factors as well).  That is one of the areas where holographic sights have an advantage "by design" so to speak.

Every year at SHOT I go and poke fun at Aimpoint people and their parallax claims.  However, Aimpoints are fairly consistent int hat regard, so I know what I am working with.  MRO does not seem to be.

Either way, I prefer Shield SIS to both of them.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 15:13
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

All red dot sights have parallax issues, especially the ones with larger window sizes (there are other factors as well).  That is one of the areas where holographic sights have an advantage "by design" so to speak.

Every year at SHOT I go and poke fun at Aimpoint people and their parallax claims.  However, Aimpoints are fairly consistent int hat regard, so I know what I am working with.  MRO does not seem to be.

ILya

EVERYBODY knows that EVEN NcSTAR red-dots have ZERO parallax… don't you ever read the brochures???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 15:37
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

EVERYBODY knows that EVEN NcSTAR red-dots have ZERO parallax… don't you ever read the brochures???

Oops. My bad.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 17:24

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2017 at 12:24
Ted, I’ll roll them out one at a time, so this doesn’t become a Dostoyevsky-length post.

I got a Trijicon SRS when they came out. It worked well for a few things, but had a huge problem with dot electronics being exceedingly visible (obscuring the dot) when facing a light source.

I contacted Tech Support for Trijicon. They responded, “Since you aren’t the original owner, there is no warranty.” I responded, “I am the original owner and it is a real problem.” They responded, “We haven’t seen that issue before, ship it to us on your dime, we will evaluate it, and let you know what it costs to fix if a fix is possible.”

Within a short time, there were several reports online of the same, and someone suggested the ARD would solve the problem. I contacted Trijicon and asked if they would be providing ARDs to owners, they said “No, but we’ll sell you one at list price, and it does indeed fix the problem.”

So, they tried to blow me off - assuming I got not warranty service since it wasn’t new when I bought it - it was. Then they told me they hadn’t seen the issue before - they had. And they told me fixing it would cost me money.

This is the most recent, there is another story on a Trijicon Tripower, an accupoint 5-20, and a set of sights from probably 10 years go.

It’ll be great.

Everyone makes a bad widget from time to time, Trijicon has a history - with me, at least - of saying “It’s not our problem.”

Do a web search of LED RMR issues and you’ll get more than a few articles.

More to follow.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2017 at 14:04
A post sorta outlining my thought process on firearms selection:

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2017 at 17:33
Boundary conditions, error bars: it’s how intelligent conversations begin.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2017 at 19:04
and so it begins...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2017 at 19:21
Without boundary conditions and limited resources it becomes an endless game of what-ifs.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 07:44
1 rifle, 1 pistol, 1 shotgun: will have to give it a think.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 09:40
Scenario #2 is already written and pops up on my website just after 5pm.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 09:46
Well, damn, I haven't responded to scenario 1 yet.

I'm already behind.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 10:26
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

As for the handgun, I will take my 226 Sig over the glock.

Not trying to start an argument. Out of curiosity, I took a look at the Sig 226 (and the more compact 225). For my specific need of having a lighter, high-capacity sidearm while hunting the Glock 19 seems like a better deal. Yeah, I'd like to have a Sig but I really like barely noticing the G19 when it's in a thigh holster...other than in that good way of knowing you've got something better than a hunting knife to take on a hungry mountain lion. I also appreciate the much lower price I paid for it.

There are a lot of compromises that go into firearms and optics. For example, now that I hunt with a 16" barrel I gain a lot of maneuverability in heavy timber at the expense of lower muzzle velocity. But I rarely shoot anything over 200 yards and I want to put a 6" suppressor on that rifle. If the barrel was 24" long and I made it 30" I'd be hating it.
Reaction time is a factor...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 10:29
I hate the "if I could only have 1 gun" hypothetical. It's just wrong on so many levels, and I refuse to subject myself to the mental anguish of contemplating such a scorched earth scenario.
Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 10:59
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

For example, now that I hunt with a 16" barrel I gain a lot of maneuverability in heavy timber at the expense of lower muzzle velocity. But I rarely shoot anything over 200 yards and I want to put a 6" suppressor on that rifle. If the barrel was 24" long and I made it 30" I'd be hating it.

Are you running a 223 or other?  If 223, consider a 10.5-12" 300blackout.  With a can, it is about 16" rifle length.  And even at 10.5-12", you get more juice than a 223, lower velocity but bigger bullet.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 11:36
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I hate the "if I could only have 1 gun" hypothetical. It's just wrong on so many levels, and I refuse to subject myself to the mental anguish of contemplating such a scorched earth scenario.

I think about it sometimes, but agree it is not meaningful to me.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic