OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

If I could Only Have One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 12:01
You would not make a good theoretical physicist, Dan.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 12:51

Not that my opinion is of much value I always liked old adage beware of a man who only owns 1 gun, he problem knows how to use it better than most......  Being really really proficient with one setup to me is more beneficial than having a bunch or rifles that don't get used often and when you do take one out you have to think to hard about zero, drop charts, etc (and its not as quick to engage).....   I find myself gravitating more and more towards my Grendel for an all around gun.  I'm slowly gathering the parts for a lightweight Grendel build that will replace my heavier one. 

To me one that knows the performance of the weapon system in hand and can instinctively dial in or hold over really quick and effectively with one gun is hard to beat.

I also think that if (and that's a big If) we had a need to use one to protect our self from 2 legged enemies we would most likely not be engaging at distances that warrant bolt gun precision.... but just my opinion and I will not invoice for itBig Grin

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 13:31
That old adage might have had some validity back in the pioneer days, but today, the "man who only owns 1 gun" doesn't shoot much. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 13:52
A gun is a tool. If I need a 3/4” box-end wrench, I might have a kick ass hammer, but...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 13:57
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

That old adage might have had some validity back in the pioneer days, but today, the "man who only owns 1 gun" doesn't shoot much. 

I am not sure you can make that conclusion or the reverse for that matter.

I know people who have twice as many guns as I do who shoot twice a year.  I also know a guy who has a bolt gun, an AR and a handgun and he shoots 3-4 times per week.  Here is the kicker: 90% of his shooting is with the bolt gun.

He is very good with it.

It really varies.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 14:43
The few guys I know with just one gun rarely shoot and can't hit the side of a barn from the inside. It's a pretty well established corollary that those who do shoot a lot, like shooting. Those who like shooting typically aren't content to own just one gun. 

One who does shoot a lot yet only owns one gun is either shooting a lot of .22 rimfire or shotguns or is replacing barrels often. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 14:52
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

You would not make a good theoretical physicist, Dan.

As I said, I THINK about it.  I minored in theoretical physics.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 19:16
Shotgun: benelli m4. Great capacity, swings great for me, much faster recovery compared to a pump shotgun. It is a great combat shotgun.

Pistol: it depends. I am long a fan of the 1911, and 20 rounds of +P 9mm on tap is a great thing in a sidearm. I don’t consider a pistol to be a hunting tool. It is a tool for fighting one’s way back to the rifle or shotgun. Glock is a runner up, as is 1911 in 45, but the first choice is high cap 1911 9mm.

Rifle: 18” AR10 in 308 with a 3-15 and a red dot offset. A little heavier than an AR15, slightly less ammo, but hits with far more authority at all ranges. Agreed, this isn’t meant to be an 800 yard gun, but it will put lead on target at that range, if the need should arise.

Hunting for me is secondary to defense, and the last thing one wants in a defensive encounter is the enemy shooting back. My goal is instant incapacitation, and 308 gives me a cushion that 6.8 and 6.5 and 5.56 do not.

Armalite SASS or Sig 716 are the primary options.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 23:18
And here is an alternate scenario:

probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 01:28
Ilya,

what criteria do you use for your big game hunting scope choice? 

My primary concern is distinguishing features in low light.  This year during rifle season there were a fair number of cloudy, dark, overcast days when there was still shooting time on the clock at dawn and dusk, but even though the deer were visible and would have been shootable in the scope, we could not clearly discern antlers.

For 15 years I have used a zeiss diavari V t* as my go-to on my primary hunting rifle, and use Swarovski binos as a comparison.  This year a new meopta r2 hung right there with it, and an older Kahles helia, swaro habicht,  zeiss diavari C and new meopta meopros were pretty good as well. All of this second grouping were fairly close - we found deer with the binos, and were then able to find them in the riflescope; although some were blurrier and darker than others.  The biggest disappointment was a brand new VX3i with a 50mm bell.  That was by far the dimmest and blurriest of all, to the point where the image was more of a vague dark blob than an obvious deer as shown by the binos.  

So I guess my question is whether or not that Leica Magnus is so vastly superior in those conditions that I would relegate the zeisses, swaros, and others to the back of the gun cabinet, or if it would just be a slight improvement that only a trained observer would appreciate.  

In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 10:54
If the Omen is as good as KB says, that might be my rifle of choice for both scenarios.  One would be hard pressed to find a better all-around rifle than a 18" 300WM AR.  I wouldn't want to clear rooms with it, but the M4 does fine in that role, better than fine, really.

Keep in mind, I live in the freedom that is NOT California, so my rifle shooting is almost always suppressed.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 16:49
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If the Omen is as good as KB says, that might be my rifle of choice for both scenarios.  One would be hard pressed to find a better all-around rifle than a 18" 300WM AR.  I wouldn't want to clear rooms with it, but the M4 does fine in that role, better than fine, really.

Keep in mind, I live in the freedom that is NOT California, so my rifle shooting is almost always suppressed.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the usefulness of a 300WM 18" barrel AR.  It is definitely an awesome thing for bragging rights.

As far as California goes...  well, that's just a low blow.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 16:59
Originally posted by probably probably wrote:

Ilya,

what criteria do you use for your big game hunting scope choice? 

My primary concern is distinguishing features in low light.  This year during rifle season there were a fair number of cloudy, dark, overcast days when there was still shooting time on the clock at dawn and dusk, but even though the deer were visible and would have been shootable in the scope, we could not clearly discern antlers.

For 15 years I have used a zeiss diavari V t* as my go-to on my primary hunting rifle, and use Swarovski binos as a comparison.  This year a new meopta r2 hung right there with it, and an older Kahles helia, swaro habicht,  zeiss diavari C and new meopta meopros were pretty good as well. All of this second grouping were fairly close - we found deer with the binos, and were then able to find them in the riflescope; although some were blurrier and darker than others.  The biggest disappointment was a brand new VX3i with a 50mm bell.  That was by far the dimmest and blurriest of all, to the point where the image was more of a vague dark blob than an obvious deer as shown by the binos.  

So I guess my question is whether or not that Leica Magnus is so vastly superior in those conditions that I would relegate the zeisses, swaros, and others to the back of the gun cabinet, or if it would just be a slight improvement that only a trained observer would appreciate.  

Magnus is about as good as modern scopes get, right alongside Swaro Z8 and Z6.  I think these two are a bit better than the competing designs in that same price range.

Whether is is vastly superior is open to interpretation since it is a very personal thing.  The rifle Magnus is on had Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50 on, and Magnus is significantly better to my eyes.  Is it sufficiently better to show you something that Kahles doesn't?  Only under very difficult conditions.

Generally, you get into a case of diminishing returns once you get past $1k or so, depending on configuration, but that is the case with most products.  However, a little extra margin never hurt anyone as long as you are willing to suffer the pricetag.

And for the record, while I am no fan of VX-3i, it was never designed to compete against Kahles and other higher end scopes in low light.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic