OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Homeowner's Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homeowner's Insurance
    Posted: December/08/2017 at 13:31

So gentleman, I am currently in the process of purchasing my first home, and I've managed to get such an amazing deal I can't pass up the automatic equity that's in the house itself. This isn't a forever home here, but one that financially frees my family up for quite some time and allows for us to be able to purchase our home in Texas with some incredible equity as well. I don't at this time have a decided company that I'm willing to go through, but I am asking questions for those who have had or have it currently, who do you go through? My traditional insurance is through GEICO via Navy Federal, and I'm not opposed to doing a multi-policy with them, however I wanted to do my homework first and see if there was any recommendations that would benefit my family and I.

Thank you in advance!

Plane

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 14:47
USAA maybe
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 16:18
Graham, I used to have USAA for auto insurance/renters insurance a few years ago until I started having major issues with them and rate hikes. I ended up saving almost $500 for a 6 month premium through Geico. I have no idea why, nothing changed for either policy. USAA isn't what it used to be. Btw, hows everything going out there on the east coast?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 17:16
I do everything thru BBT insurance. This is my company stuff to old truck to house and all in between. They have (knock on wood) don't us really good.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 19:02
Find a good independent Insurance agent. They can help in many ways. Be sure to look into the company's response reviews. Lower cost of premium may not get the best insurance company when it comes to getting things replaced. Also an independent agent can watch for better deals when it comes to annual renewals. Companies that got hit hard by last years Hurricanes may have drastic price increases to recoup losses incurred in another region.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 19:14
I would talk with a few different independent agents and let them do the work for you. And once they give some choices then check their recommendations. Seems that one company is good in one area of the country, but not another. You could also check with the state insurance commission to see who they have the least and most trouble with.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 08:19
East coast is here....we have this swell insurance that we have to maintain called Wind and hail insurance..... it covers when there is a hurricane.  Your normal policy excludes damages due to a named storm.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 10:34
Check into an umbrella policy while you're at it to cover cars and home.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2018 at 06:26
What I've found out is it's really smart if not necessary to revisit your Insurance every 3-5 years.  You can almost always beat your current pricing after a couple of years with the same provider due to annual price increases that exceed new policy pricing....

I left Allstate after 25 years cause my daughter's accidents caused price increases that never went away like they were supposed too.  I saved over $600 on an umbrella policy for cars and home.  3 years later I went back to Allstate because of scheduled price increases at renewal with Provident.  Since I went back to Allstate their annual increases have been less than 3%....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2018 at 06:29
part of the problem with comparing Insurance policies is that everybody does a policy slightly different which makes them extremely hard to compare unless your well versed in Insuranace speak...
It's really hard to get Apples to apples comparisons...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic