OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 12:20
A big boar squirrel is undoubtedly a tough test for the ancient .30-30.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 12:24
Another major failure on my part… I have no 30-30...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 12:25
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

I killed a lot of deer with a 30/30. The only ones that did not dash were hit in the CNS. I tried most of the available bullets to make the cartridge more capable. I killed a lot of deer with a .300 Win Mag. Same deal, almost. That's kinda how things work, all-around. If you want to dump them on the spot, you have to interrupt the signals to the muscles holding the animal up. 

Perzackly!!!!

And or break the shoulders, making it impossible for it to continue standing up.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 12:36
The vast majority of the longest blood trails I’ve followed had feral hogs at the end of ‘em. I’ve killed untold hundreds of hogs and I’ve seen them travel amazing distances with hits in the vitals with .300/.338 class magnums. They are amazingly tough, strong willed critters! The only way I’ve found to 100% reliably anchor them on the spot is a brain shot, and then caliber choice isn’t very critical.
Ted

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 15:48
Related image

" Eduardo was in a bar in Colorado one time and discovered that a couple of pitchers of Kamikazes is like a 'brain shot'! " 

* it was the Hollywood Bar in Dolores.....

Edited by Son of Ed - December/17/2017 at 18:00
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 16:22
Somehow, Eduardo, I can imagine that a couple of pitchers of Kamikaze would improve your thought processes...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 17:59
Big Grin
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 18:02
Related image

Visit the Ed Show
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 11:22
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

I swear to God I have only had ONE animal run after being shot!  A heart shot doe ran fifty yards before collapsing.....otherwise every animal in MY LIFE dropped in his tracks!!  

.....It's kind of a......TRADITION now.......

....call it an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder......

I  had a gun and ammo that did that, until I ran out of the ammo. The next box I bought, I didn't get the same results. 

Gun was a Ruger M77 MK11 stainless laminate in 7mm-08. Ammo was Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip in 140gr.  No deer ran off when shot with the first box, second box, not a single DRT. 

Nosler changed something in the bullet make up. 

What I have been told is to shoot them high in the shoulder for 1 shot DRT kills. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 14:28

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Don't log back on until you fix that..... a Henry maybe?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 16:41
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Don't log back on until you fix that..... a Henry maybe?

Probably my first choice… or a good Winchester 94

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2017 at 12:50
I have sighted in a friends Mark V in .257 Wby and I loved that gun. If the gun in question is a Mark V and the price is right I would buy it.
Neither caliber is popular and since this is for hunting, I would not worry price or availability. Both will be expensive and not in the average store. 
If the caliber and gun is still in question I would get the .264 for the reasons already stated. The .264 has far better sectional densities available than the .257. This will help a lot with "bucking the wind" and terminal performance given bullets of equal construction. I use 140 grain in a .260 and it is a sledge hammer on deer sized game.
Doug
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2017 at 19:08
Git a 270....

Laugh

Visit the Ed Show
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 01:14
i have a hunting buddy that has hunted with a 264 for a long time. if you saw all the trouble he has had finding bullets over the years ,you would not even consider it without reloading. the last ones he bought were $60 a box for regular shells. if you got to have a magnum get a 7mm rem like i have. but i still rather hunt  with a 270. i just hunt whitetail deer and coyotes,longest shots i take are less than 500 yards. i use the walmart rule for calibers. they have to be available at walmart.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 09:52
WalMart is too much trouble to go to for ammo. I mean, I can just sit here and have it sent to my door. I don't even buy clothes in person anymore. The grocery store, hardware and feed n seed pretty much account for my in person shopping.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2017 at 18:08
I remember the Good Olde Days when ANYBODY could buy bullets at a gas station if you had the spare change....

Visit the Ed Show
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2017 at 07:27
Might consider the WSM's too.  The .270 WSM is flat shooting with moderate recoil.  They are available in some fairly light weight rifles, ideal for covering distance on foot.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2018 at 12:03
Son of Ed,
I have a .270 Winchester which is my dedicated deer rifle.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2018 at 12:07
Tahqua,
I was at the local gun store looking at a 25-06 when I saw a used Weatherby Mark V in .257 with exhibition grade stock. I was using the hunt as an excuse to purchase another rifle. Since I had a 25-06 rifle built for my nephew I was looking at the same caliber.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2018 at 12:13
I would like to thank everyone for your input. The Weatherby Mark V Deluxe with exhibition grade stock was made in 2009. I contacted Weatherby about building another one. They gave me a delivery time of 12 months and a cost of $3000 to $3200. I could buy a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade or Remington 700 and have it bedded in an upgraded stock.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic