OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2018 at 12:39
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. The Weatherby .257 is no longer available. Someone just purchased a very nice rifle. I hope he really enjoys it. I will be purchasing a .264 win mag. I plan on shooting Barnes TTSX or Nosler BT hunter in 100gr or 120gr. Maybe I will load some Nosler partition in 100gr or 125gr.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2018 at 17:55
I would suggest loading the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X instead. Better ballistic performance at distance due to far superior BC. Brings out all the potential the .264 Win Mag is capable of. I’ve had great luck getting them to shoot well out of all my rifles too.

I would also suggest the Badlands Precision 125 gr 6.5 Bulldozer as well. They are made by 2 of our fellow OT members. Excellent quality bullets!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2018 at 19:30
Image result for oliver hardy

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2018 at 19:42
Related image

" How about that 264 Winchester Magnum!! " 

Visit the Ed Show
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2018 at 11:20
RifleDude,
I was thinking of a lighter bullet traveling at high velocity would be great for antelope. While the 140 range bullets would be great for deer.
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2018 at 11:35
RifleDude,
I looked at Badlands Precision Bulldoxer 125gr in .264. However, their website states it should be used in a barrel with a 1-8 twist. The Winchester Model 70 comes with a 1-9 twist. I am not sure of the Remington. 
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2018 at 11:38
RifleDude,
The Remington 700 Sendero SF II also has a 1-9 twist barrel.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2018 at 11:47
I think Whale has finally decided on a 30-30....

Visit the Ed Show
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2018 at 16:39
Sorry Son of Ed,
Never had a 30-30 and I will probably will never have one. I just purchased a .264 Win Mag from Gunbroker.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2018 at 06:00
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

RifleDude,
I was thinking of a lighter bullet traveling at high velocity would be great for antelope. While the 140 range bullets would be great for deer.

In this case velocity at distance pretty quickly overtakes the lighter bullets you name due to significantly superior BC. Remember, MUZZLE velocity isn’t what’s important. You don’t do any killing at the muzzle. It’s the velocity when the bullet arrives on target that matters. Higher BC retains velocity better due to more slippery, more aerodynamic shape. The .264 has a lot of case capacity to still drive heavier bullets at relatively high velocity. Use the case capacity to your advantage. One of the main advantage to 6.5mm is that there are so many ballistically efficient bullets available in that caliber, due to the popularity of new 6.5 cartridges like 6.5 Creed. This fact brings new life to the .264 WM. Why handicap all that case capacity from the start by using bullets that start fast but run out of steam too quickly?

The rifle manufacturers have been slow to get with modern times with regard to barrel twist, and it’s pretty frustrating. Since .264 WM was created before modern ballistically efficient bullets were created, too many rifles so chambered have 9 and 10 twists. I wouldn’t let that sway me from trying the bullets I mentioned. Worse case, you may not get the best accuracy with the longer bullets, but it’s worth a try; sometimes they still shoot well in slightly too slow a twist.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2018 at 18:09
Especially if you have they ability to dive them fast! Try the 140s, I wouldn't go much lighter than 120s.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2018 at 19:04
Image result

Actually, the 30-30 is a DEADLY cartridge for deer or antelope within 100 yards.....

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic