OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon accupoint 2.5-12.5 x 42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon accupoint 2.5-12.5 x 42
    Posted: December/12/2017 at 10:55
Looking for a good low light deer hunting scope. I tend to do way too much research before I actually pull the trigger. My latest scope on the list is the Trijicon accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. On paper this seems like the ultimate scope. The magnification range seems absolutely perfect. Objective size is good without being too big. 3.9 inches of constant eye relief is perfect. My only gripe is it's a slightly longer scope then what I typically put on a hunting rifle.

I haven't spent any real time behind any Trijicon scope. How is the glass and how easy is it to get behind? If there is one thing I dislike about a hunting scope it is an unforgiving eye box.
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 11:26
I can give you actual (informal) head to head comparisons from this year in the field with a number of other scopes, but not the Trijicon.  So I'd be interested to hear how good it is also. I'm also in search of the best possible low light scope.

(My kid and I tested a bunch of different scopes in a 2-person stand during deer season this year - we rotated different rifles each time we went out, with my swaro binoculars as the constant)
In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 12:07
I've not used the 2.5-12.5 but have used the 3-9 and 2.5-10, both are great low light scopes.

On what kind of gun is it going?

One recommendation: don't get the mil dot reticle, it's huge (or the one in my 5-20 was.)  I like the triangle post reticle, it is bright and quick on target.  

My son's 308 wears the 3-9 and it is great even by moonlight on pig hunts.

Some of the reticles are brighter than others, and the larger the reticle, the less well it illuminates in low light.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 12:14
I had the Accupoint 3-9 x 40 with the green triangle. Did everything I needed well. Highly visible in the woods at low light. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 12:49
my constant question is "compared to what"  when people say it's great and awesome and bright, what is the qualifier? 

my xyz is the greatest thing ever compared to itself and I love it, but when I put it next to abc, it looks like junk.  

For example, the VX3i had nothing but glowing recommendations from everyone. So great...so bright....the best thing in low light since sliced bread.  But when I spent the cash on a 3.5-10x50, took it out and compared it in the field ...... well, not so much. 
In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 13:35
It will be going on a TC encore pro hunter 50 cal muzzle loader. I'd just get the standard duplex with greem dot. Being a bow hunter I'm very comfortable with a green dot as my aiming point.

Want it to work well for close range and max range of 200 yards. There is also a chance the scope would end up on my 1/2 moa AR.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 13:44
Originally posted by probably probably wrote:

For example, the VX3i had nothing but glowing recommendations from everyone.  

Check your fire!

Not "everyone", I'd point out.

I hunt pigs at night in Texas, sometimes with a trijicon (had a 2.5-10x56 on a 6.8SPC and son now has the 3-9 on a 308.  I've also run the 5-20 on an AR10.)  My current setup is either a 6.5creedmore with a  white phosphorus clip-on in front of a Tangent Theta 3-15 or a Sig716 with PEK15 and PVS14 on a helmet mount.  I have used the 308 by moonlight, prefer a bit more light though.

Deer rifles shooting in dawn/dusk and in heavy woods, I have a few Swaro 3-9 and 3-10s (1" versions and they are quite bright but the reticle gets lost in low light), they are on the "favorite list" too, and my fallback is a 300WM bolt gun topped with a Kahles K624i, it is okay in low light, but is not a stellar optical platform - and I heartily recommend against getting one, unless you shoot lefty lots, in which case the parallax turret is in an awesome location though not the greatest functionally.

So, after killing a few hundred pigs, most in low light, I'd say the Accupoints are about as good at low light as you will get (in terms of brightness and reticle visibility) short of spending about 1.5X as much.  My Hensoldt 3-12x56 is appreciably brighter, and easier to get behind, and the illumination is great - but it went for about $3,500 when new.  The TT 3-15 is also brighter (without the ARD) but they run about $4,000.

And keep in mind I am in something of an anti-Trijicon funk, so it pains me to recommend them, but my experiences with the 3-9 and 2.5-10 have been exceedingly positive.

I don't buy Leupold, have had failures that cause me to not trust them.  Not "everyone" has recommended them, at least going back 20 years.  If you go back further, maybe, but it'd be written in chalk on a cave wall or something.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 13:46
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

It will be going on a TC encore pro hunter 50 cal muzzle loader. I'd just get the standard duplex with greem dot. Being a bow hunter I'm very comfortable with a green dot as my aiming point.

Want it to work well for close range and max range of 200 yards. There is also a chance the scope would end up on my 1/2 moa AR.

You'll hate the reticle on an AR, especially an accurate one.  On the muzzle loader, it should be fine, and the mil dot has the smallest aiming point in low light - it is the one saving grace of that reticle.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 14:01
Are you saying the lit dot is too big?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 14:08
Also hoping someone can answer the question on how easy the eye box is to get behind? 
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 14:24
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

For example, the VX3i had nothing but glowing recommendations from everyone.  

Check your fire!

Not "everyone", I'd point out.

I hunt pigs at night in Texas, sometimes with a trijicon (had a 2.5-10x56 on a 6.8SPC and son now has the 3-9 on a 308.  I've also run the 5-20 on an AR10.)  My current setup is either a 6.5creedmore with a  white phosphorus clip-on in front of a Tangent Theta 3-15 or a Sig716 with PEK15 and PVS14 on a helmet mount.  I have used the 308 by moonlight, prefer a bit more light though.

Deer rifles shooting in dawn/dusk and in heavy woods, I have a few Swaro 3-9 and 3-10s (1" versions and they are quite bright but the reticle gets lost in low light), they are on the "favorite list" too, and my fallback is a 300WM bolt gun topped with a Kahles K624i, it is okay in low light, but is not a stellar optical platform - and I heartily recommend against getting one, unless you shoot lefty lots, in which case the parallax turret is in an awesome location though not the greatest functionally.

So, after killing a few hundred pigs, most in low light, I'd say the Accupoints are about as good at low light as you will get (in terms of brightness and reticle visibility) short of spending about 1.5X as much.  My Hensoldt 3-12x56 is appreciably brighter, and easier to get behind, and the illumination is great - but it went for about $3,500 when new.  The TT 3-15 is also brighter (without the ARD) but they run about $4,000.

And keep in mind I am in something of an anti-Trijicon funk, so it pains me to recommend them, but my experiences with the 3-9 and 2.5-10 have been exceedingly positive.

I don't buy Leupold, have had failures that cause me to not trust them.  Not "everyone" has recommended them, at least going back 20 years.  If you go back further, maybe, but it'd be written in chalk on a cave wall or something.

This was a very helpful post.  

If you were open to the idea of dropping 2500 on the leica magnus, would the trijicon still be a "close enough" runner up for serious consideration, or would the Leica just blow it's doors off in terms of counting those antler points and making shooting decisions in low light?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 14:31
In my experience, you are not going to get a scope that blows another away when you reach certain price points.  Trijicon are good, not excellent, but good.  THe illumination system is excellent, so it makes up some for the good glass in low light.  You may have a scope with excellent optics, but a sh*tty reticle design.  I have a swaro z6 that was amazing in the optics department, but the reticle was to thin for low light, so it was worthless to me for early morning hunting.  I sold it and bought a VX-6 with bold reticle and while the glass was not quite as good, it is more usable in low light for me.  I then bought a VX5 with firedot and it is even better in low light. 

Will a mangus blow away a trijicon or VX-6?  Not likely, but I dare bet it is indeed a little better.  But it is not going to be like you are going from a tasco to a Swaro z6.  You may gain 5% better optics maybe a bit more, or maybe a bit less.  But it is not going to be mind blowing.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 16:14
I have a 5-20X50 BAC Amber on my Savage PC .308, Great low light optic. I’ve shot quite a few critters at the edge of darkness and beyond. I bought the 4-16X50 MOA reticle which is a mil-dot #4 and have it mounted on a Sako 85 Finnlite in .300wm. It’s very good when the sun goes down and pretty good on my 500yd range. It’s not as good as my S&B Stratos or my Leica ER but it’s better than my NF SHV or NXS when darkness comes. I have a few Leupold remaining but never hunt with them, the ones I have suck in low light.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 16:27
Supertool how would you compare the glass in low light on the Accupoint and the VX5 HD? I am cconsidering the 3-15x44 with firedot also. Also which scope has a more forgiving eye box?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 16:29

I can give you actual (informal) head to head comparisons from this year in the field with a number of other scopes, but not the Trijicon.  So I'd be interested to hear how good it is also. I'm also in search of the best possible low light scope.

(My kid and I tested a bunch of different scopes in a 2-person stand during deer season this year - we rotated different rifles each time we went out, with my swaro binoculars as the constant)

I'd be interested in hearing which scopes stacked up best to your Swaro bino's.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 17:17
The only accupoint i have currently is a 1-4x. So comparing to my 2-10x vx5 is not really apples to apples. But i would say vx5 glass is slightly brighter. But again we are comapring a 24mm objective to a 42mm.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 17:41
So if you could get the scope in question for $725 wpuld you jump on it?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 17:56
Yes, I love my vx5

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 18:11
I meant the trijicom
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 23:14

[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in hearing which scopes stacked up best to your Swaro bino's.
[/QUOTE]

Tier 1: The zeiss diavari V 2-10x50, which is my primary optic for 15 years, was closest to the binocs for brightness and clarity.  A new Meostar R2 2-12x50 was right there with it - surprising since the Meopta is cheaper, but the coatings are more modern and the reticle is not as heavy, possibly making the image seem brighter.

On tier 2 was my kid's Zeiss diavari C T* 3-9x40, a big Kahles helia C 3-12x56, and a Swaro Habicht 6-24x50.  Again, surprisingly, a newer Meopro hung in with them - it is cheaper but the decent glass and newer coatings seem to make it a very good scope.  Some of these were slightly better or worse than others, but all seemed to be on roughly the same level. 

I did not have out my older Zeiss conquests this year, nor any of my many leupolds ...... beside the new vx3i 3.5-10x50, which was by far the worst of the bunch.  Deer that I could clearly see with the binocs and the diavari c were nothing but a vague dark blob with the leupold.  It was so bad in fact that if I had another few days, I would have tested it against a standard vx3 3.5-10x50 to see if the low light capability was actually worse.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic