OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon accupoint 2.5-12.5 x 42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 23:16
edit to that post:  the diavari C is a 3-9x36 T*  not a 40.
In 30 yrs of hunting Ive taken many WTB over 120", 3 over 140" & 2 over 160;I own most of the glass and guns that people argue over. So I go online for friendly chat but rude know-it-alls can bite me
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2017 at 08:00
Doesn't suprise me on the meostar. I have 8x32 meostar HD binos and they are one of the best purchases I've ever made with hunting equiptment.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2017 at 00:29
So i think I have narrowed it down to the accupoint 2.5-12.5x42, and a leupold vx5 hd in either 2-10x42 or 3-18x44. I like the eye relief and mag range on the trijicon best. I like the weight and smaller size on the leupolds better. Any advice on which would make the better scope on a muzzle loader for low light hunting would be appreciated. I can get any of the 3 scopes for under $800 so cost isnt a factor.

Also I've never owned a scope with the side paralax adjustment. Not sure if I want to deal with another thing to worry about adjusting. I believe the 3-15 vx5 is the only scope with parralax adjustment. Dont really understand if this is something of focusing the image or just removing shooting error. If I'm constantly going to have to mess with the nob to get a clear image at differnt distances I want nothing to do with it.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2018 at 11:57
Can anyone tell me more about this reticle in real life. Is it as obnoxiously thick as it appears in the pictures? I want a really thick bold reticle I just don't want something way over the top. I know often these manufacture images of the reticle are not accurate or bigger than the real life.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2018 at 12:58
Parallax is a bit more complicated than target focus, and having it is a positive for semi-precision shooting and for longish range.  Clear as mud, right?

On the reticle, if it is the same as the mil dot reticle (minus the dots, of course), it is a thick reticle.  The good thing is the fine aiming point in low light.  And my experience (with the 5-20 mil dot, green center dot), that was the singular good thing about that reticle.  Literally everything else I disliked enough to sell the scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2018 at 13:05
I didn't mind the thickness of the reticle when I looked at a mil dot on a 5-20x50 I just didn't like the size of the dots themselves. They seemed really big. 

With the reticle pictured above I'm more worried about the heavy posts being way to thick and extending too far into the center of the reticle. 

I've never seen the regular duplex dot anywhere in person. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2018 at 14:17
Anyone have a picture through an accupoint of the duplex dot? Cant seem to find any pictures online.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 08:23
Anyone have any input on the reticle
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 12:30
I have no accupoints with that reticle, sorry.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 13:32
Attached link shows Trijicon's subtension specs for their reticles.
Fifth one down gives details on the reticle you're interested in.  Looks like the center crosshair thickness varies by mag range.  (Crosshair thickness is 0.2 MOA for the 5-20 model at the highest mag setting, 0.3 MOA for the 2.5-12.5 model, and 0.4 MOA for the 2.5-10 model.)  Short of being able to actually look thru each scope/reticle combo, to get a sense of whether those are too thick or thin, find the Trijicon scope/reticle you ARE familiar with in the same link and compare subtension numbers to get an idea if it's going to be too thick or thin.  I tend to be pretty finicky about reticles because all my scopes tend to pull double duty -- hunting in timber and punching paper.  If I were buying a scope that may spend part of its time on an AR that shoots 0.5 MOA, I'd find a reticle any thicker than 0.2 MOA frustrating.  
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 13:49
A couple other things I'll add.  Given the choice of having parallax adjustment or not, you'd not find it a frustration while hunting 200 yds and in (you'd set it once and forget it) but you'd probably enjoy having it if stretching your AR out on the range, shooting varmints, etc...

My favorite double duty scope for what you are trying to do is a Leica ERi 2.5-10x42 with an IBS reticle.  Awesome glass and reticle combo.  Crosshairs are thin (0.1 MOA) but extremely crisp so they show up well and the reticle design draws your eye to the center immediately.  The illuminated dot is available if things get too dark (I've yet to have to use illumination, even before or after legal shooting light).  Leica quit making those a few years ago, but you can still find a few floating (2.5-10x42) or (3-12x50) if you're patient.  Great eye relief (3.8-4.0 inches) and extremely forgiving eyebox to get behind.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 16:18
Leica Visus is re-incarnation of the ERi that you like. Until I tried Leica Magnus, that was my favorite general purpose hunting style scope. I gave mine too brother and use the Magnus 1.8-12x50.

And Tangent Theta on my precision gun. Yes, I know it is a tough life, but someone has to do it...

ILya
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 16:33
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Leica Visus is re-incarnation of the ERi that you like. Until I tried Leica Magnus, that was my favorite general purpose hunting style scope. I gave mine too brother and use the Magnus 1.8-12x50.

And Tangent Theta on my precision gun. Yes, I know it is a tough life, but someone has to do it...

ILya

LOL -- I suspect you're single, have a lot more understanding wife than I do, or are a lot craftier at hiding cash for toys than me.     
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 22:08
I have a 1-4 red post that I really like.  I have had several of the 5-20 mil dot with green dot in the center a couple of them failed from the start and went  back.  I have had a 3-9 didn't like the amber dot in the cross hair.  I tend to like red think amber washes out when pointed toward light sources. I run a 3x compact ACOG and a 1.5x compact ACOG and like them a lot.   I would go with the red triangle post I find the point of it ideal and very fast.
http://swfa.com/trijicon-2-5-12-5x42-accupoint-30mm-rifle-scope-12.html

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 23:48
Originally posted by Maverick2 Maverick2 wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

LOL -- I suspect you're single, have a lot more understanding wife than I do, or are a lot craftier at hiding cash for toys than me.     

Married, with two small kids. I do have a few tricks up my sleeve.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2018 at 10:15
Maverick thanks for posting tge link to tge reticles.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2018 at 16:33
Just pulled the trigger on this scope. Pretty confident I'm going to like it.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2018 at 16:18
Just got the scope and I'm thrilled with it. Best scope I own by far. The eye relief and forgiveness of the eye box is unbelievable. Inside the house with no lights on on a gloomy MN winter day the green dot is plenty visible. Take it outside and it shines as bright as my bow sight ever gets. Love the crosshairs. Nice and thick which is what I want ss a hunter. Resolutiom and color seem better than my VXR patrol or burris euro diamond. We'll see how it does in low light tonight. I wish I would've bought the other 2 that were available at a clearance price. Now i need 1 for my AR.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2018 at 17:07
( if I bought a scope with 4 inches of eye relief, I would need to restock my rifle with a fifteen inch length of pull.....which would be cheaper? ) 

* I KNOW!!! buy a PAST MAGNUM pad and wear it while shooting.....

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2018 at 17:32
Ed can scratch his knees without bending over! 😂💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic