OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington service
    Posted: December/12/2017 at 11:07
I sent them an email about my 700 AAC-SD and accuracy issues, and they have decided they want me to send it in for them to look at.

Wonder what that means? I will get it back in a month with a target and a note saying its within accuracy spec?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 12:31
Had a buddy send one in for a similar issue, he got a new barrel installed out of the deal that was a much more accurate setup, they never told him what was wrong with the other barrel
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2017 at 12:03
Define "Accuracy issues" please. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2017 at 12:36
I would take it as it means they want to check to see if there's a problem with your rifle. Worth it if you really think it's a problem with the rifle and not shooter, ammo, etc.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 11:01
Not from my personal experience but from someone at work so take it with a grain of salt. He supposedly he sent his in for warranty work with an aftermarket trigger installed and got it back with a X Mark Pro installed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 11:46
Originally posted by BobC BobC wrote:

Not from my personal experience but from someone at work so take it with a grain of salt. He supposedly he sent his in for warranty work with an aftermarket trigger installed and got it back with a X Mark Pro installed.

I would be....PISSED. X Blow triggers suck. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 12:21
Originally posted by BobC BobC wrote:

I have heard of this happening before as well.  That is BS, who the hell do they think they are, they are stealing a trigger. 

This is just one more reason I will not buy another Remington.  Tikka rifles are much much better.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 12:30
I have heard the same thing from a few individuals.

I would be WAY BEYOND PISSED if that happen to me.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 12:31
The X trigger sucks.

Accuracy issues are poor grouping, and stringing shots. 

I have had it professionally sighted in by a gunsmith, he does this weekly sandbag rest. 5 different kids of factory ammo. Best group was about 1.5 MOA. Hornady Custom 165 gr BTSP. 

I have run countless reloads through it, using CFE223 and BL-(C)2 and 3 different bullets. 165gr Hornady from above, 168gr Nosler BT and 178 gr ELD-x. 

While I could sometimes get a particular combination to group 2 or 3 shots close, then next ones opened things up dramatically. 

I swapped the stock to a Boyds AT One, and no improvement, in fact some of the ammo it shot ok, it now shot crappy. 

I really don't want to hear someone come back and say, well 3 shots is all you should count on. From a heavy contour barrel, I disagree. In fact my 700 BDL in 270 will group more than 3 in a very small hole. Last time I shot it, I shot the first shot, couldn't see where it hit on the target, dropped down to the one below it, and put 3 shots in very quick succession into a small hole all touching. Guess where the first shot on the top targer was. Same exact spot as the other 3 on the bottom. So 4 I could cover with a dime at 100 yards. From a standard barrel contour. In a hurry, factory ammo. 

So I have a hard time sitting there with a 270, which isn't renowed for accuracy, punching small 1/3 MOA holes with factory ammo, and watching a heavy barrel 308 TACTICAL rifle punch holes that look more like I was shooting buckshot. 

But hey, your expectation may be different than mine. 

They said expect it to be gone 12 weeks. At minimum. 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 13:48
I hope they fix it right by you. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 16:49
Never used an X-mark trigger, I've always upgraded to a Timney before my new m700e leaves the shop. Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 18:40
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

I sent them an email about my 700 AAC-SD and accuracy issues, and they have decided they want me to send it in for them to look at.

Wonder what that means? I will get it back in a month with a target and a note saying its within accuracy spec?

They sent you a NEW Winchester!!!    Bucky

Visit the Ed Show

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 19:08
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Never used an X-mark trigger, I've always upgraded to a Timney before my new m700e leaves the shop. Wink

Super

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 19:10
Yep LJ, sounds like you got a bad one.

Just curious, did you look close at the crown?  
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 11:14
On the barrel? Yes, but honestly, my upclose vision is not that great, but I did look at it with my glasses on!! I didn't see anything that looked out of kilter. No dings, dents, scratches, etc. 

The X trigger is awful. I have adjusted mine as light as I can. It still has a noticable catch before it breaks. On my old 270, I adjusted that one lighter, and it just breaks. 

But this gun will get a trigger upgrade once they figure out why I won't shoot worth a flip. I even bought a box of Federal Premium ammo with 180 gr nosler partitions to try, but got so irritated with it, I didn't even take the gun back to the range. 

And it will need a bedding job too. Part of me wants to take the 4-16x50 Monarch off my 270 and put it on it and see how it does. It has a Minox ZA5 3-15x42 right now, which is a really nice scope. The Monarch isn't to bad though. 
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 01:33
why don't you try some 125 or 150 grain flat base bullets. i have had a very accurate remington with flat base bullets, but it had shotgun effect with boat tails.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 06:22
A good rifle should shoot boat tails and flat base bullets accurately. If it doesn't, get the barrel recrowned.

It will be interesting to see how well they fix the problem. Remington is in some financial distress.  Before you send it off, check the basics like torque on the action screws, scope mounts and rings, and the clearance between the barrel and the stock.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 06:42
If you send a 700 into Remington for repair, and it has an after market trigger, or one that has been modified, they will replace it. This is what Remington told a couple of our guys that were attending a 870 armorers school at Remington.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 07:53
I can understand Remington replacing an aftermarket or modified trigger on their rifles sent in for warranty work. They have liability concerns after all. Performing warranty service on a gun and allowing a component critical to user safety to remain in a user-modified state is condoning the practice of people tinkering with the fire control system. Remington is especially sensitive to this in light of recent lawsuits against them related to their triggers, one of the main drivers for them changing their trigger design. Many gun companies won’t even do warranty work on a gun if it has been modified in some way. I can’t fault Remington for taking this approach. To do otherwise is inviting expensive liability.

However, if they are not sending your parts you purchased back to you, that’s a different story. They have no right to confiscate goods owned by you.

The lesson here is to ether wait until you are absolutely certain there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with the as-issued gun first before adding any aftermarket parts/making modifications or reinstall the factory parts before sending it in for warranty work. Or just accept that once you modify the gun, you have no warranty coverage and anything you find wrong with it later is all on you. That’s basically been my philosophy. I look at most factory guns, rifles in particular, as mere starting points for a semi-custom gun. I seldom leave any factory bolt action in its OEM state.

On a related note, I kinda agree with ST. Remington has screwed the pooch so many times and have released so many absolute dog sh** products in recent years that I’m hesitant to buy anything from them. It’s shocking to me that they’ve managed to survive so many stupid marketing blunders and turd product releases. It’s a shame because I love my M7 MS custom shop rifle and cherish my M1100 shotgun my dad gave me as a kid.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 09:13
10-4 on the M7 MS and the 1100.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic