OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 09:16
i needed to add that the twist rate might be geared more toward lighter bullets than heavier bullets. i have good luck with renington 700s.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 12:53
Originally posted by nralifer nralifer wrote:

A good rifle should shoot boat tails and flat base bullets accurately. If it doesn't, get the barrel recrowned.

It will be interesting to see how well they fix the problem. Remington is in some financial distress.  Before you send it off, check the basics like torque on the action screws, scope mounts and rings, and the clearance between the barrel and the stock.

I had the gun checked by a gunsmith and sighted in by him. He looked at that. Pulled scope off and remounted and checked everything. Gun shot horrible with core lokt ammo, fusion. Best two were Hornady 150 SST and 165 btsp.

Best group was around 1.5 moa. That's not acceptable for a gun where the company website has a video claiming accuracy beats custom rifles.

Especially considering nmy 7-08 Ruger with a 16.5 barrel and my other 700 in 270 are both sub moa.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 04:04
I had a similar problem with a rifle I put a Pac Nor barrel on that Pac Nor themselves chambered in 330 Dakota.  Did exactly as you did. Had the crown redone, the action glass bedded, action screws accurately torqued down, scope mounts secured with lock tight, trigger redone, and made sure the barrel was fully floated up to the shank. The contour was a Palma, so rather stiff. Regardless of what I did with reloads it would not shoot better than 2 MOA with anything (was not in the bullet business yet).  Finally a patient of mine who's son was a gunsmith in Pierre, SD suggested I send the gun to him.  He scoped the bore and found the throat was galled from a faulty chambering job at Pac Nor. I got a chamber reamer and he rechambered it. Now it shoots sub MOA. Lost an inch on the barrel length though.

I don't know how much trouble you want to go through to find the problem. If you know someone with a bore scope have them take a look down the barrel to see if there is a problem there.  Be sure to clean all the powder fouling and some of the copper. Rough spots in the barrel will have more copper fouling than others.  Also check the riffling twist rate with a snug fitting oiled patch that slides smoothly through the barrel to be sure it is the twist that is intended.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 07:10
Originally posted by cowski cowski wrote:

I have good luck with renington 700s.

Same here, the last one I bought, over counter mountain rifle in 7mm Winkle has been lights out for me.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 11:03
There is a 308 mountain rifle at my local gun shop.  Been there for several years.  Every time I pick it up I am tempted to purchase.  It is nice and light and has a good stock.  So tempting.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 11:13
The M700 mountain rifles are sweet. I like the classic walnut lines too. Both of my Mountain Rifles are KS versions from the  Custom Shop, though. I still like the lines but the standard model in wood was always a beautiful gun.  My friend picked up an M7 CDL that reminds me of the Mountain Gun and  it is a sweetie, too.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 13:21
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

...the last one I bought, over counter mountain rifle in 7mm Winkle has been lights out for me.

You realize I receive a royalty payment for every mention of that marvelous chambering, right?

Thanks for your patronage!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 13:40
Roll on Floor Laughing
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 17:33
That REALLY stuck....Big Smile
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic