OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR Valdada 3-18 X 42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR Valdada 3-18 X 42
    Posted: December/15/2017 at 10:26
Looking for impression of the IOR Valdada 3-18 X 42 with the MP8 Xtreme X1 reticle.

Opportunity has presented itself to pick one up that has been shot twice for a very good price.  I've looked at IOR in the past but never bought one.  It is a FFP scope in my preferred magnification range.

Reviews I've read talk about reliability issues with the FFP scopes, but that was about 10 years ago.  Seems more recent production has addressed this problem.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 10:49
I have had half a dozen or so IOR 3-18 scopes of the several variety they offer.  I had small issues with several of them but Valdada always fixed me up with a replacement.  Overall I liked and still like IOR, but would not do the 3-18x42 again.   Glass is excellent and the MP8 reticle I absolutely love. 

They are really more of a 4.5-18x as they tunnel on the low end pretty badly.  Eye box got picky above 14x to 15x.  I seldom used it over that for that reason.  The 50mm objective they have on the newer models would be better I think.  Adjustment wise everyone I have owned would pass box tests with no issues.  One of them had a yellow tint to the glass.  When questioning Valdada they claimed it was some special coating that was desireable to have.  I did not desire it, but they would not switch me out.  Ended up selling it to a friend as he liked the yellow. 

I had two where grease from somewhere inside ended up on the internal glass.  Both times I was in a precision rifle class in Nevada desert and it was hot.  It would splatter up during recoil.  Both were the 3-18x models.  Valdada said the grease inside is to pickup debris that may be in the scope tube and when it got hot it melted and splattered.  They replaced both scopes, but I hated that issue.  I had to quit the one class early as I could not see through the scope well enough to use it.   

I have had several of the IORs 2.5-10x's, 3-18x's, 6-24x, and fixed 4x.  I still have the 4x, really like it.  But, I wouldn't do a 3-18x42 again.  I would like to try the 3.5-18x50.  But likely never will as there are to many other good options.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 14:29
Appreciate the good feedback.  The tunneling on the low end is concerning, as is the eye box.  While I rarely go above 14x, I do like having the option.

Your grease comment reminds of a statement Ilya made on his experience with some debris being on the lens in his High End Tactical: Part II article.  Think it was on the 3.5-18x50 model.  He mentioned having the 3-18x42 mounted on a Desert Tech rifle but believe the date of the article was 2010.

I've heard good things about IOR's customer support, but prefer the kind that I don't have to use.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 15:07
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I had to quit the one class early as I could not see through the scope well enough to use it.   

At least it wasn't during a zombie attack.Big Grin
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 15:08
I love the reticle, the turrets aren’t the greatest, it tunnels badly - which bugs me, and when their customer service is bad, it is worse than terrible.

There are many generations of the 3-18, a few were good, several were a pain in the ass. What gen is it?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 19:04
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 19:48
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I love the reticle, the turrets aren’t the greatest, it tunnels badly - which bugs me, and when their customer service is bad, it is worse than terrible.

There are many generations of the 3-18, a few were good, several were a pain in the ass. What gen is it?

Not sure on Gen.  I'm assuming latest given use but not always the best measure.  Box isn't much help either.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 06:22
In the current market, there are many better options nowadays. IOR was a little ahead of its time in the US market originally, but as the competition guy better, IOR's QC did not keep up.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic