OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New 6mm With Mausingfield Action

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 6mm With Mausingfield Action
    Posted: December/16/2017 at 08:01
This is my new build. It is a 6mm Comp Match, a modification of the 243Win similar to the 243 AI but retaining the original taper and having a 37 degree shoulder.  The chamber is made by Long Rifles Inc. in Sturgis, SD. The cartridge can be fire formed from a 243 Win cartridge (in the pic to the right of the loaded 6CM) by the method I described in another post (see" Deck's 7mm WSM Brass Problem Solved")  The gun can shoot the new experimental 96gr PICBM (Jason thinking again) bullet (G1BC 0.545) using Retumbo at or beyond 3200 fps.  The Mausingfield short action is super smooth, has controlled feed and will accept single feeding without putting the shell in the mag first. The stock is a $250 Magpul 700 Hunter stock. I dropped right in with only a slight amount of inletting to allow for the side mounted bolt release.  The funky looking bolt handle is quite comfortable and functional.  Magazine is an American Rifle Co. 10 round center feed mag that will fit any AI Magazine compatible bottom metal and will accommodate 2.955" OAL ammo.   The Muzzle brake will fit Thunder Beast suppressors. Mine works great with the 338 Ultra which I can use in my 308 or 338 rifles as well. Still in load development but the rifle is capable of 1/4 MOA groups.  Barrel is a K&P 5R 1:7 twist barrel.  This cartridge/bullet combo has a flatter trajectory and better windage at 1000 yds than a 260 Rem shooting a 140gr 0.6 G1BC bullet. Barrel life is supposed to be around 3000 rounds. Perfect for AntelopeYippee

Edited by nralifer - December/20/2017 at 19:33
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 09:54
Really nice rifle, George!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 10:20
Sounds like a really great rifle.  I've been wanting a Mausingfield action rifle.  I just can't decide what I want it to shoot (caliber).  

Really want to hear all about it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 11:25
Sounds like a nice build. Question on bullets: why do you and Jason only list G1 BC values? It does not seem to be a good predictor of downrange trajectory with modern bullets. G7 seems to work better.

ILya
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 12:56
We are going to get individualized drag curves for some of the ICBMs. The weird thing is that at at low Mach numbers drag starts to increase then drops off rapidly as the bullet becomes subsonic. One guy told us that for the 250 SICBM the BC we quoted he thought was low since he was hitting high at 1750 yds. A rough estimate of G7 BC is half the G1 realizing that below Mach 1.4 the Von Karman function governing the ogive shape of our bullets is more efficient at low Mach numbers that are the secant or tangent functions.

One thing about the Mausingfield is that if you can bare to use a barrel nut you can use barrels threaded for Savage actions. If you are conflicted about calibers get barrels for bothšŸ‘
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 14:11
Originally posted by nralifer nralifer wrote:

We are going to get individualized drag curves for some of the ICBMs. The weird thing is that at at low Mach numbers drag starts to increase then drops off rapidly as the bullet becomes subsonic. One guy told us that for the 250 SICBM the BC we quoted he thought was low since he was hitting high at 1750 yds. A rough estimate of G7 BC is half the G1 realizing that below Mach 1.4 the Von Karman function governing the ogive shape of our bullets is more efficient at low Mach numbers that are the secant or tangent functions.

One thing about the Mausingfield is that if you can bare to use a barrel nut you can use barrels threaded for Savage actions. If you are conflicted about calibers get barrels for bothšŸ‘
Caliber conflict comes from just not knowing what caliber I want to invest inā€¦ my comparison factors are not predicated on "a vs b", but "what do I really want to do with it?".  
I have to drive over an hour to get to a "medium" range, 2.5 hours to a "long range".  The Mausingfield action has intrigued me ever since I first read about it.  Just having trouble with the "what and why" of really needing one.  Tell me enough about your experiences with it and I may break downā€¦ 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 19:31
It simply is the most versatile bolt action there is, and is the one that will maintain the bullet as perfectly aligned to the bore centerline as possible.  Anything with a plunger extractor puts an eccentric force on the cartridge so if there is space there will be some misalignment to the cartridge.  If you can stand a barrel nut, changing barrels is a 15 minute process, so if you wear out a barrel, no gunsmith bill needed.

To convince the wife that it is absolutely necessary, assure her that ARC did a lot of destructive testing to be sure the shooter would not be injured in the event of a case rupture.  So safe she can't afford to have you use anything else. Wink

Now for the caliber. You need something a little exotic and unique like a 338-06 AI shooting a 225gr Bulldozer. With a BC of 0.64 and a MV of 2600+ the trajectory is the same as the 6.5 Creedmoor with  140 gr bullets but will arrive with a lot more energy.  You could kill anything in the world with that cartridge with less recoil than a 338 Win mag. 

Edited by nralifer - December/20/2017 at 19:34
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 20:45
Lori won't care.  

As for caliberā€¦ you are a real jerkā€¦ I"ve aways wanted a 338-06ā€¦ was having one built at one time but the shop burned.  Long story.  

OK, I"m thinking on it...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 23:14
I actually spoke with Lori about thisā€¦ she wanted to order me one for Christmas.  I explained that it would take a little more time than that to meet my complete set of requirements for building this rifle.  Now I'm on the hunt.  

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 09:24
Ha! I knew you liked the 338-06Excellent  You will like it even more shooting these high BC all copper missiles in the AI version from that long, silky smooth, superbly aligned, tuned, flawlessly feeding and accurate Mausingfield. The 225gr Bulldozer and the 234 ICBM (BCs 0.64 & 0.66 respectively) will have more energy at 300 yds than the 6.5 Creedmoor has at the muzzleSharp ShooterDeadlyShocked

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 10:17

Ha! I knew you liked the 338-06Excellent  You will like it even more shooting these high BC all copper missiles in the AI version from that long, silky smooth, superbly aligned, tuned, flawlessly feeding and accurate Mausingfield. The 225gr Bulldozer and the 234 ICBM (BCs 0.64 & 0.66 respectively) will have more energy at 300 yds than the 6.5 Creedmoor has at the muzzleSharp ShooterDeadlyShocked

Nice.  339-06 has been one of my "wants"ā€¦  I'm still on the fence about it, but started the research again.  

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 12:08

It simply is the most versatile bolt action there is, and is the one that will maintain the bullet as perfectly aligned to the bore centerline as possible. Ā Anything with a plunger extractor puts an eccentric force on the cartridge so if there is space there will be some misalignment to the cartridge. Ā 

Iā€™ve heard that mentioned as an ā€œadvantageā€ in favor of actions with fixed blade ejectors many times, and conceptually the argument makes sense. However, I donā€™t buy it. Iā€™ve got no shortage of actions using both ejector types, and if that made a difference, Iā€™ve never been able to see it on targets. Lots of benchrest competitions have been won with plunger ejector actions. If you think about it, plain olā€™ gravity has the same effect. Instead of the case leaning toward the side of the chamber in response to plunger spring force, gravity makes the case ride the bottom of the chamber.

I prefer a blade type fixed ejector simply because I can control the case ejection force and distance by how forceful I work the bolt. But as with most things in life, gaining one advantage usually involves making some negative concessions. A fixed ejector system is slightly less safe in the event of case rupture, because it requires a slot through the bolt head that gives gas an escape path back toward the shooter.

The Mausingfield is a cool action, but damn, I wish theyā€™d used a bolt knob design that didnā€™t look like a Christmas tree ornament!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 12:18
That's the reason I like itā€¦ I have Christmas tree ornaments exactly like that (different color).  I may paint it if I get oneā€¦

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 16:56
I guess thatā€™s why they still make chocolate & vanilla isnā€™t it.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 17:43
or vanilla chocolate...

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 19:38
Couldn't hang it on the tree, so dressed it up a bit

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 22:33

Ted Karaglas explains his design on youtube:

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2017 at 22:47
I just gotta say why a magpul stock? Such a beautiful setup and then that stock. Just a little ribbing is all ;).
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 03:48
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I just gotta say why a magpul stock? Such a beautiful setup and then that stock. Just a little ribbing is all ;).

Agreed šŸ˜‚
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2017 at 22:55
More for practical reasons. I needed the gun quickly because we were developing more bullets for the 6 mm caliber. I could get the barreled action done in 2 weeks but would have to wait 6 -8 weeks for an inletted Manners stock. The twist needed for the new bullets was going to be 1:7 and my friend, who sells for LRI in Sturgis, had a 7 twist barrel available. As it turned out I like the Magpul stock. It is adjustable for cheek rise and LOP, and has a stiff forend sufficient for a bipod. It is a real value for the money. The action dropped right in save for a very minor inletting to accommodate the side mounted bolt release. Also, once sighted in, removing and replacing the action in the stock did not affect the point of impact.  Jason just finished the prototype bullets today (100 gr Bulldozer and a 105gr ICBM, both with BCs that we think will be higher than the 105 Berger), so I will have the chance to shoot them this weekend if we don't have a blizzard. The gun is capable of 1/4 MOA or smaller accuracy.

Edited by nralifer - December/19/2017 at 23:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic