OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 338 Lapua

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 338 Lapua
    Posted: December/21/2017 at 07:57
  I am looking for new scope for my Savage 110 FCP HS Precison in 338 Lapua.  I had a Burris XTR II 4-20X50 with G2B reticle on it, but recently moved it to a new 308.  I use this rifle only for longer range shooting out to 1200 yds.  I have three scopes in mind, but not limited to only those.  $2000 is my upper end on budget and would like to stay with 34mm tube since I have Badger Odrnance rings for it already. 

Burris XTR II 5-25x50 
Steiner 5-25x56 T5Xi 
Atlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56  

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 08:16

Just slightly above budget but would make a killer optic for you, and IMO better than the options you listed -

https://samplelist.com/catalog/product/view/id/140871/ - Vortex 4.5-27x56 Razor HD Gen II 34mm Rifle Scope

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 08:43
I've used the Burris XTR II 5-25 and it is impressive.  The Steiner is a good scope, but I like the Burris better.  I've not seen the Athlon.  Not a big Vortex fan, some are.  
The Burris glass is very good, I really like the mechanicals (audible, tactile, accurate), and I even like their mil reticle.  It is as good as or better than a number of higher priced scopes.
I've not compared any of them side by side… just general impressions from on range usage.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 09:20
For ruggedness and pure durability, my first choice is almost always Nightforce. That said, Vortex’s top end stuff is quite good. The gen2 3-18 on my 243AI is a stellar scope, easy recommendation.

No experience with the Burris, but KB has never lead me wrong before, that should be on the list if he recommends it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 10:10
I believe Burris produces the Steiner. At least the Steiner I have is made in Greely, CO where Burris is. I  Not sure on the glass, though.
Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 14:25
“But both of the tactical scopes are made entirely in Germany. Burris Company on paper owns Steiner and is the North American distributor for Steiner. However, we sell/market the product as Steiner. Even though we are both owned by Beretta, we operate as separate entities even though our address is the same.”

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 15:02
Where is that from, Dan?
Doug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 16:05
Steiner T series scopes are assembled in Colorado at the Burris factory (I was there last summer: http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=1898).  The glass comes from Germany.  The mechanics come from Germany too, I think, but I am not 100% sure about that one.

Prior to choosing scopes, think about the reticle you prefer.  As far as the basic platform goes, I think Steiner T-series is better than the other two, but make sure you are OK with the reticle.

ILya
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 16:08
Thanks for all the replies.  If Kickboxer says he likes the Burris better than the Steiner then that is good enough for me.  I like the Razor Gen II but this is a box stock fun gun so just trying to keep price reasonable so wife doesnt Bi^@h to much when I upgrade my spotter this year also. Big Grin  Thanks again.
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 16:18
ILya,
  Based on a video I saw you are correct. The Beretta rep stated that the Steiner was basically all German and assembled in Colorado to keep price down. He had both the Burris and Steiner on the table but did not get into any real differences in glass etc.

Do you think the Steiner is worth twice the price of the Burris?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 16:47
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Where is that from, Dan?

Here ya go… I had to search for it… kept the quote when I was looking a these, but not the site.  Wasn't hard to find, though…

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 17:02
Don't get me wrong, I like the Steiner… just not the price, especially when compared to the Burris… which is way above average for the price range.  I got to shoot with the XTR II on both a 7.62x51 and 300 RUM… shooting out to 800.  It was a pure joy and I almost bought one, but ended up getting a Leatherwood Hi-Lux Phenom 5-30 instead.  I got a brief glance through one and liked what I saw.  At this point, I'm not sure I made the right choice… once again, I really like the Phenom, but not sure I don't wish I had bitten the bullet on the Burris.  Now, the price was significantly less on the Phenom…   A friend borrowed the rifle and scope… a weakness I have… so I'll be able to decide better when I get to really put in some range time with it.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2017 at 11:22
Originally posted by BobbyH BobbyH wrote:

ILya,
  Based on a video I saw you are correct. The Beretta rep stated that the Steiner was basically all German and assembled in Colorado to keep price down. He had both the Burris and Steiner on the table but did not get into any real differences in glass etc.

Do you think the Steiner is worth twice the price of the Burris?

That’s a personal decision.

For a 338, I would lean toward the Steiner.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2017 at 11:24
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I like the Steiner… just not the price, especially when compared to the Burris… which is way above average for the price range.  I got to shoot with the XTR II on both a 7.62x51 and 300 RUM… shooting out to 800.  It was a pure joy and I almost bought one, but ended up getting a Leatherwood Hi-Lux Phenom 5-30 instead.  I got a brief glance through one and liked what I saw.  At this point, I'm not sure I made the right choice… once again, I really like the Phenom, but not sure I don't wish I had bitten the bullet on the Burris.  Now, the price was significantly less on the Phenom…   A friend borrowed the rifle and scope… a weakness I have… so I'll be able to decide better when I get to really put in some range time with it.  

XTR 2 is a substantially better scope than the Phenom, but they are not the same price either.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2017 at 17:53
I've not had hands on on the Phenom enough to say it is highly inferior to the XTRII… it does have shortcomings.  My first impressions on the Phenom are that the glass is "mid-range", the mechanicals are very good, I like the magnification range and adjustment performance, not impressed with low-light performance, illumination is good.  The Burris, is in my opinion a "best value".  I got to shoot with it very early (right at daybreak) and through several light conditions from varying ranges of 25 to 800 meters (I once called it yards, but it's actually set up in meters) with quick changes in distances called by a shooting partner.  The Burris was excellent in performance.  I've not had the time to say much more than already stated about the Phenom.  Is it less than 50% the overall quality and utility of the Burris… I don't think so.  I wish the glass was the quality of the ART scopes… but it's not.  Can't say much of anything about the reticle except it's interesting.  Yes, I DO kind of wish I had gone ahead and gotten the Burris, but I have high hopes the Phenom will serve me well for what I'm going to do with it… mostly bench style shooting at some very long ranges. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2017 at 17:57
I spent a fair amount of time with the Phenom.  Mechanically, it held up reasonably well and adjusted correctly, but turret feel was lacking.  The reticle is well conceived and functional, but there is a fair amount of variance in parallax across the reticle plane, so using the holdover points outside of 4-5 mrad away from center is tricky.

Optically, the Phenom has an issue with CA and flare once you go above 18x or so.

With all that, considering the cost, the Phenom is a very good effort, since it is a very full featured scope for not a lot of money.  Knowing the guys at HiLux, I am confident they will listen to the market and make improvements as they go along.

ILya 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2017 at 18:56
Turret feel is fine, so far, on mine, crisp, no mush, perhaps a little "close" between "clicks".  Technical explanation of this in your words, please "there is a fair amount of variance in parallax across the reticle plane, so using the holdover points outside of 4-5 mrad away from center is tricky". I've not explored ANY of the holdover points. 
I did not experience much CA or flare, but I've only used it under limited conditions, basically one orientation to the sun, 13 rounds.  I still like it, just not as much as I had hoped.  I think it will be OK, not great… more and more wish I had gone with the Burris.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2017 at 03:21
It is really a question of how much money you are willing to spend.

ILya
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2017 at 05:51
Have to agree with KB on Burris and RC on Nightforce. I shoot both and both are excellent for the money and rugged. SWFA has good prices on the Burris XTR series and these are perfect for your Lapua application at about half your proposed budget.

Edited by nralifer - December/24/2017 at 05:57
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2017 at 06:30
Dang! IMPULSE BUY!! Just bought from SWFA, after looking for a scope recommendation for BobbyH, a Sig range finder, their 3400 yd job. Hope I did OK Loco
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic