OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

In line muzzle loader?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In line muzzle loader?
    Posted: January/13/2018 at 18:29
Just picked up a new to me in-line muzzle loader. It is based on a Remington model 7 action and has a 50 cal barrel. I have never fired a front loader, let alpine owned one. All advise on maintenance, loading and firing are appreciated!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 22:26
Rule #1 put grease on the threads of the breach plug or it wont come out every again.

Black powder charges are a volume measurement they make measures you can use. Thompson Center has good accessories.  I tend to like Barnes Sabbots.  I run powder pellets in the gun I have now three pellets is 150 grains which matches up with Nikons ballistic reticle on their muzzleloading scope.  All the past muskets I have had I used loose powder its lots cheaper.   Accuracy is based on consistency. That includes seating the sabbot charge at the same depth consistently.  It is important to run a wet patch then a dry patch down the barrel after each shot or the carbon buildup will cause it to seat at different depths.    Eventually you will load it not need to shoot it then wonder how do I get the charge out - well its a pain in the butt - pull the breach plug polk a screwdriver up in there to make the powder fall out which is a mess best done outside then take the ram rod and push the sabbot out either end then clean it.   One should clean a musket every time you get done at the end of the day . The good news is the solvent does not smell nasty like Hoppes  after it is cleaned you use bore butter lube on a patch to coat the barrel then take that patch with the bore butter and wipe down any part  likely to rust its a good rust preventative.
I have found that each musket likes a different powder charge.  If its rated for 150 grains try that then if it isnt grouping drop back to 100 grains some like as low as 80 grains but most do really well with about 120 grains Tripple 7 there are several black powder substitutes.  I didnt care for the smell of the pyrodex.  There are some new ones that claim less fouling but I tend to like the Tripple 7.   FFG is rifle powder  FFFG is finer grind pistol powder. If you have questions ask.

If you have the ram rod get stuck in the barrel when cleaning with a dry patch pour some cleaning solvent down it and it will come loose.   Having two rods is a good idea one set up to clean with one set up to load with.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/13/2018 at 22:44

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 22:32
There are three basic cleaning products the grease that goes on the threads of the breach plug the solvent which is a runny liquid ( they have a little tub of wet patches but you can add dry patches to the tub and pour some of this solvent on them so you have wet patches when you run out)  the third thing is the bore butter its bright  yellow runny as can be when hot super thick when its cold.
 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/881057/thompson-center-essential-black-powder-cleaning-pack 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/740874/thompson-center-super-lube-all-purpose-anti-seize-lubricant-1-2-oz-tube
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1073416017/thompson-center-natural-lube-1000-plus-bore-butter-tube

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479736/thompson-center-t17-black-powder-cleaning-patches
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/899047/thompson-center-t-17-black-powder-bore-solvent-8-oz

The t handle starter has a piece that unscrews and attaches to the ram rod to make it longer also the extended jag is useful.  I know there is lots of crap to make it work buy a small tool box .

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714741/thompson-center-u-view-black-powder-measure-15-to-125-grains-in-5-grain-increments-clear-polymer-and-brass

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/790582/thompson-center-u-view-black-powder-flask-clear-polymer

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/13/2018 at 22:46

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 23:33
Blackhorn 209 is the best powder substitute. Its powder though, not pellets. Pellets are nicer to handle, but blackhorn is superb. I used triple 7 pellets for years and its a good choice as well. I am a big fan of power belt bullets they load easy and shoot well for us.

I only use hot water to clean our guns. I gave up on solvents years ago. We have thompson center guns and when u take out the breach our spray wand on the sink fits perfectly to just spray hot water down the barrel til its clean. I then dry with a few patches and light oil and put bore butter on the threads and am done.

Muzzleload hunting is fun. Much more challenging, and typically less hunters to worry about.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 23:43
I don't shoot muzzleloaders much, but one thing I learned pretty quickly is that if you don't want to constantly have to clean and lube the bore, use Blackhorn 209 powder. It burns cleaner than any other black powder substitute available. Triple 7 is a big improvement over Pyrodex in terms of corrosiveness, but even it will cause your bore to rust and pit pretty quickly if you're not diligent with cleaning. Blackhorn 209 is a formulation of smokeless powder for muzzleloaders, and it doesn't cause rapid corrosion like the other alternatives. In addition, measured loose powder gives you better accuracy than pellets in my experience. Use 209 SHOTGUN primers for ignition, not the so-called "muzzleloader" 209 primers. BH209 specifically requires the hotter shotgun primers for reliable ignition.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2018 at 23:47
Sorry to repeat your advice on BH209, Jason. I started my reply before you'd posted.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2018 at 05:00
I concur with Jason & Ted, it’s Blackhorn 209 and I use 209 Magnum primers which Western Powder recommends. I’m not sure if thats on the website but when I started they didnt have any load recommendations for .45 which I shoot so I called and spoke with a technician and he suggested CCI 209 Magnum primers. I shoot a TC G2 Contender.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2018 at 11:25
Couple tips:

For accuracy, start around 85 grains and work up. Best accuracy tends to come with lower charges. You'll get full penetration at woods ranges with 85 grains. It's like hunting with a .44 magnum revolver.

Be as consistent and repeatable in your methods as you would handloading centerfire cartridges. Any change in method can show up on target. Your bore should be made to the same condition prior to each loading sequence. I like to swab a couple times and fire a cap before loading each time.

I always had good luck just loading once at the beginning of a period of hunting and leaving it the whole time. A spent primer on one end and the sabot on the other end of the powder seems to keep it sealed enough. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic