OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 47>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
    Posted: January/28/2018 at 14:47
I know many of you here enjoy a dram of fine distilled spirits on occasion, so this thread will be THE place to discuss all things pertaining to good whiskies and maybe the not-so-good whiskies.

First of all before we continue, a little clarification in order...
"Whiskey" and "whisky" are both proper spellings of the word, but they are used for whiskies made in different parts of the world.

"Whiskey" is made in the US and Ireland.
"Whisky" is made pretty much everywhere else.

My alcoholic drink of choice was beer until relatively recently. I still love a good cold beer, especially when unwinding on a hot day. However, beer was dethroned as my favorite adult beverage when one of my hunting buddies brought some Glenlivet 12 year old to hunting camp about 6 - 7 years ago. I liked it so much, I then embarked on a mission to try as many different Scotch Whiskies as I could. I always liked Bourbon as well, and enjoy a good Bourbon on occasion, but I still prefer a fine single malt Scotch whisky. My tastes have evolved a lot over the past 5-6 years such that I no longer rate Glenlivet 12 very highly, or even think it's all that good anymore compared to other options.

I've tried something like 40 different single malt Scotches and a few blends. Again, my tastes have evolved considerably. In general, I prefer the single malts matured in ex-sherry casks vs those matured in ex-bourbon casks. I initially didn't care for peated Scotch, but now like both peated and non-peated whiskies as long as the whisky in question has a nice balance of flavors with a great nose and a lingering, satisfying finish. As much as I hate to admit, I think I've become a Scotch snob.

In general, my favorite distilleries overall would have to be Macallan, Glenmorangie, and Highland Park. I've really liked everything I've tried from each of them.

My favorite single malt Scotch tried so far (I think) has been Macallan 18 (sherry cask version). However, given that prices on the stuff has climbed to $200 - $260 a bottle, I won't be buying it anytime soon. As such, I may be overrating it based on my memory of the occasions I've had some at restaurants. It's possible it may not remain my favorite if it were priced so I could taste it more often; I don't know.

So far, here are my top favorites, ranked roughly in order of preference:

1. Macallan 18 Sherry Cask
2. Glenmorangie Signet, Highland Park 18, and Old Pulteney 21 (3-way tie)
3. Talisker 18
4. Glencadam 15
5. Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or 12
6. Aberlour A'bunadh (Batch 60 is the only variation I've tried)
7. Glenmorangie Bacalta, Highland Park 12, Macallan 15 Fine Oak, Aberlour 18
8. Talisker 10
9. Ardbeg Uigeadail
10. Laphroaig Quarter Cask
11. Glenmorangie 18, Glenmorangie Astar, Lagavulin 16
12. Oban Distillers Edition, Oban 14, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12

Beyond those, I also really like Dalwhinnie 15, Glen Moray 18, Aberlour 12, Springbank 15, Macallan 12, Highland Park Valkyrie, Dalmore 12, Glenmorangie Lasanta 12, Macallan Edition 2, Glenmorangie Original 10, and a few others. All of those are pretty equal to my taste, only different. Once I get past level 5 or 6 in the list above, they are all pretty close. My biggest surprise is how much my taste for peated Scotch has changed. When I originally tried Talisker and Lagavulin, I didn't care for them too much and now, I really enjoy both as well as some others that use peat fires to dry their malted barley. I don't know if it's just due to evolving taste or maybe I've gained a better ability to discern complex flavors, but it's been an interesting journey.

Others I liked but thought were just "ok:" Scapa Skiren, Bunnahabhain 12, Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve, Balvenie DoubleWood 12. Balvenie DoubleWood 12 is one I used to really like, but over time, it lost its luster for me. I don't think it's a bad whisky; I just think it's a bit too mild-mannered and lacks complexity.

I still don't "dislike" Glenlivet 12, the one that introduced me to Scotch in the first place. I just don't like it as well as the rest mentioned above. I think their new "Founder's Reserve" NAS that supposedly will be replacing their 12 YO is a total waste of money. It just had an "artificial sweetener" taste in the mix for me. I gave it away after the first "wee dram."

As far as value for the money, I think Glencadam 15, Talisker 10, the various Glenmo special "extra matured" 12 year olds, Glenmo Original, and Highland Park 12 get the nod for best "bang for the buck."

So, lets hear it folks -- what are your favorites and why?

Edit: Added new ones as I try them.

Edited by RifleDude - February/01/2018 at 14:32
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2018 at 14:55
As I mentioned, I also like good Bourbons as well, just not quite as much as Scotch whisky.

My favorite bourbons so far are, in order:

1. Eagle Rare 10
2. Buffalo Trace
3. Basil Hayden's
4. Breckinridge
5. Bookers
6. Bulleit
7. Four Roses Small Batch
8. Templeton Rye
9. Maker's Mark
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2018 at 15:19
Don’t do much of the “brown” stuff any more with the exception of Jameson but the liquor cabinet still has the following in various amounts:

Scotch: Lagavulin 16, Speyburn 10 [no idea where that came from] and a Talisker 18.

Bourbon: Basil Hayden’s, Bookers and Blanton’s.

I just received a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel from our friend Scrummy of which I did a “ wee dram “ on Friday & Saturday night. It was my first Black Barrel and was thoroughly enjoyed and now resides in an old Irish Decanter. I’ll send pics of the Decanter.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2018 at 17:41
Actually I don't drink much.  1554 New Belgium beer a couple times a month.  Jim Beam sometimes. Famous Grouse sometimes. Templeton Rye sometimes every few months or not.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2018 at 20:39
I'll take Woodford Reserve in an Old Fashioned or Clyde Mays neat. If there's any heavy drinking to be done, I'll bring along a handle of Canadian Hunter. Those are not necessarily "good." They're just good enough and agree with me. 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2018 at 20:42
I discovered a new bourbon Christmas day at my SIL's. It's called Blade and Bow. Very smooth, and my new favorite.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 02:59
For choice I'm a Glenlivet man
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 05:32
Down here in the Bowery I drink Cruzan rum mostly......I also like St Remy brandy......and sometimes a cheap Vodka from St Louis ( or somewhere ) with some orange juice....

Related image

Image result

" Eduardo don't got no fancy decanters...."  

Image result

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 05:33
Related image

Visit the Ed Show
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 11:05
As much as I like a good Bourbon, my stomach ulcers do not. Whatever
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 11:27
For the Irish out there, two very fine ones...

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 15:34
A friend just recommended Red Breast said he liked it better than Jameson.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 16:15
Still hooked on Michter's and Hudson Baby Bourbon.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 16:27
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Mucho better!  Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 17:14
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Mucho better!  Wink

The Black Barrel Jameson that Scrummy sent me is definitely a step up from regular Jameson so after that is finished I’ll look for a “ Red Breast “ 😂

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 17:28
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Still hooked on Michter's and Hudson Baby Bourbon.

Which version of Michter's?
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 17:29
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

For the Irish out there, two very fine ones...

I'll give those a try. Thanks for the suggestions!
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 17:31

...and now resides in an old Irish Decanter. I’ll send pics of the Decanter.

Post pics of the decanter in this thread!
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 17:36
Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

I'll take Woodford Reserve in an Old Fashioned 

I have some Woodford Reserve at home. I haven't tried it in an Old Fashioned, but so far drinking it neat and on the rocks, it just doesn't agree with my taste.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 17:39
Ed, don't be bringing rum into a perfectly good discussion about whiskies!
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 47>
  Share Topic