OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 47>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 17:56
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

...and now resides in an old Irish Decanter. I’ll send pics of the Decanter.

Post pics of the decanter in this thread!

Sorry Ted I’m not that good with the puter. Maybe one of you that I emailed the pic to can post it for me. I apologize for being old and having been dragged into the puter age.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 18:20

Ed, don't be bringing rum into a perfectly good discussion about whiskies!

Related image

Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 19:07

Sorry Ted I’m not that good with the puter. Maybe one of you that I emailed the pic to can post it for me. I apologize for being old and having been dragged into the puter age.

It's time you learned.

See the little icon with the tree on it right above your post editor blank? Just put your cursor on the spot where you want the photo to be in your post, click on that tree icon, then click on "choose file" on the lower LH side of the next screen. Then navigate to the folder where the photo is on your 'puter, then click ok, and it posts in your thread.

If we can teach Ed how to post photos, we can teach anyone!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2018 at 20:53
Image result

" The CURSOR is the little arrow thingee...." 

Image result

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 04:21

For Christmas, my Lady gave me a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan.  It has been years since I tasted an Ardbeg.  If you are a fan of Laphroaig and Lagavulin, you will probably like it.  As a registered "Defender of The Malt", I can say that it is excellent.  The flavors are complex, a lot of smoky peat, chocolate, black currant, some spice, maybe a hint of vanilla in the finish.  It is not "light".  Not for the uninitiated.  You can see the fires burning at the first touch to the tongue. 

The first sip of scotch I ever had, in high school, I liked it... Grant's Scotch.  I still remember the "rush" of flavors and my first thought that "everybody said this stuff didn't taste good".  My taste was not "acquired", I've simply just always liked the stuff.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 04:26
Peddler's decanter...

Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 04:36
Thanks Scrummy.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 06:01

Thanks Scrummy.

Welcome sir!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 06:04
Nice decanter, Skip!

Now, your assignment for today is to post a photo. Give it a try; it’s not difficult.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 06:15
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

As a registered "Defender of The Malt", I can say that it is excellent. 

Ok, I’ll bite. I’ve heard you mention this multiple times but don’t know what this means. Secret society? Do you pay dues? Is there a secret handshake? Have to pass a rigorous exam? How does one become registered? Are there good retirement benefits?
Ted

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 17:49

Originally posted by urbaneruralite urbaneruralite wrote:

I'll take Woodford Reserve in an Old Fashioned 

I have some Woodford Reserve at home. I haven't tried it in an Old Fashioned, but so far drinking it neat and on the rocks, it just doesn't agree with my taste.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 19:05
My favorite is some sort of whiskey, neat, chased by a strong copper/brown/double ale (Irish, Belgian style).
I have tasted enough ales and beers to know which ones  i like and which ones i don't, but i am learning about the whiskeys.
One thing is for sure: i don't like peaty  Scotch. I like some blended Scotch.
I absolutely loved Jefferson bourbon recently, as well as Woodford reserve double oaked.

Rifle dude, i believe i like a good bourbon more than scotch, but i would appreciate if you went over you list and made it again with a slight comment or grading in regard to the strength of  peaty flavor.  That wold save many novices a lot of grief and money.

Of course, being originally from Europe, i know a thing or two about our slibovitz, palinka, and the like.
I even have my own still and make a gallon or two of apple, pear, or peach palinka (84 proof, no additives, colors, flavors, or sugar added) sometimes. I can't find enough cheap plums anywhere, and failed to grow them myself (too many diseases and insects for the trees, plus common late frosts after they bloom). I did a batch of corn whiskey, too, but i did not like it. Even ordered a mulberry cask, to keep the good stuff and impart a nice mellow aged flavor and yellowish color.

I suppose that if i went into a bar that had all the drinks and i could order anything, it would be a
a) Calvados (French/Spanish apple schnaps) double shot and a mug of home made northern Spain apple cider
or b) a double shot of Hungarian quince palinka and a  mug of their coldest cheapest rough beer.
Both combinations remind me of friends and  dogs from times past, muddy boots, and roe and boar hunts.

Edited by anweis - January/30/2018 at 19:14
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 20:56
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Rifle dude, i believe i like a good bourbon more than scotch, but i would appreciate if you went over you list and made it again with a slight comment or grading in regard to the strength of  peaty flavor.  That wold save many novices a lot of grief and money.

Sure thing, buddy. The only Scotches I mentioned in my OP that have any peaty flavor present at all are, (ranked from least to most peat):

- Highland Park 18 - just a hint of peat
- Highland Park 12 
- Oban Distiller's Edition, Oban 14
- Springbank 15
- Highland Park Valkyrie
- Talisker 18
- Talisker 10
- Lagavulin 16 - pretty heavy peat
- Lagavulin 12 (forgot to list in my OP) - cask strength, and heavier peat than the 16

When it comes to the peated whiskies, as a general rule, longer barrel maturation tends to subdue the peaty/smoky flavor, so the older versions of any given peaty whisky are typically more mellow and have less phenolic, "medicinal" taste. 

If you don't like peated Scotch, you should avoid all of the ones made on the island of Islay except for most versions of Bunnahabhain, which is the only Islay distillery that offers unpeated single malts. The remaining Islay distilleries include Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, Caol Ila, Kilchoman, Bowmore, Port Ellen, and Port Charlotte, all of which are heavily peated.

Elsewhere, Talisker, the only distillery on the island of Skye, is a little less peaty than the Islay whiskies, but still has pronounced peatiness.

Highland Park, made on Orkney Island north of the Scottish mainland, has a light peat flavor. The peat that is present is less pungent and more sweet than peated whiskies from other regions due to the fact the area where HP gets their peat on the island has a lack of woody plant matter and a high concentration of heather. If you want to ease into peatier whiskies to see if you might develop a taste for some peatiness, Highland Park's stuff is a good starting point. They have a little different flavor profile of other peated Scotches. Their stuff tends to be sweeter and have honeyed fruit notes to balance the smokiness.

The above isn't intended to be all-inclusive; there are many more examples of peated Scotches. All of the rest of the Scotches in my list in the OP have no detectable peat flavor. Actually the list of unpeated Scotches far outnumbers those that are peated.

Edit: left out a couple of the Islay distilleries

Edited by RifleDude - January/30/2018 at 21:23
Ted

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2018 at 21:09
Thanks!!! That helps a lot. Will make and save your list and suggestions for my next visit to our only decent store and will see what they have. Will take it easy and will see what we learn.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2018 at 06:17
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Thanks!!! That helps a lot. Will make and save your list and suggestions for my next visit to our only decent store and will see what they have. Will take it easy and will see what we learn.

Anweis,

Generally the least peaty whisky is type is Speyside so good brands to start with (in my view) are Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenmorganie

A 1/2 pint as an accompaniment is very nice. A good session bitter for choice.

Scrummy
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2018 at 07:15

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

As a registered "Defender of The Malt", I can say that it is excellent. 

Ok, I’ll bite. I’ve heard you mention this multiple times but don’t know what this means. Secret society? Do you pay dues? Is there a secret handshake? Have to pass a rigorous exam? How does one become registered? Are there good retirement benefits?

1) not secret, I became a member in the 80's.  Received a "formal invitation" from a member I met in London

2) did when it was active, but once a member always a Defender of the Malt... by charter

3) NO, merely a dedication to preservation of enjoyment and preservation of the "aqua vitae"... bourbons were considered "crass" and it is only in very recent times that I have given bourbons any consideration

4) Actually, it was expected that one would gain knowledge of and pass on the knowledge of whisky, try to expand the "circle".  When I traveled overseas more, met others who were "Defenders", shared time, a dram or two, and often a good cigar...  was introduced to some very fine whiskies and learned finer points of appreciation through association

5) Sadly, the organization no longer exists, the spirit will always exist

6) Only those benefits that one brings to oneself

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2018 at 10:05

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2018 at 10:42
Ted

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2018 at 13:21
Related image

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2018 at 13:23
Image result for bob hope paleface saloon

" Gimme a Highland Park 18!   Pronto! Grrrrrr!!!! " 

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 47>
  Share Topic