OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 47>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2018 at 19:38
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I tried some Redbreast 15 yesterday. Outstanding! Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better than anything Jameson IMO, even though produced by the same distillery.

I believe the Midleton Very Rare is produce by the same distillery as well.

Cheers

Correct. Midleton Distillery is a very large volume operation that produces several brands, including Midleton, Redbreast, Tillamore Dew, Jameson, and few others.

Overall, I prefer single malt Scotch to Irish whiskey, but I like Redbreast 15 as much as some of the better single malt Scotches. Very fine whiskey!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2018 at 19:45
Big Grin
Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2018 at 20:23
If one likes Redbreast Irish, a single malt Scotch that (to my tastebuds) has a very similar flavor profile to Redbreast is Glen Garioch 12 y.o. (strangely, as is often the case with old Gaelic words, it's pronounced nothing like it's spelled... "GLEN GEE-REE"). Based on some very favorable reviews, I took a chance and picked up a bottle a couple days ago, and have really enjoyed it! I think it too would be a good choice as an introductory Scotch, even though it's bottled at 48% ABV. Despite the relatively high ABV, it's very mellow. Glen Garioch is from the Highlands region. Like Redbreast, it has a very rich, sweet, fruit flavor with toffee, malt, spice, vanilla, a hint of cinnamon, and a little oak toward the finish. It's almost like a dessert drink. Very nicely balanced! Highly recommended!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2018 at 20:43
You had me right up until the "little oak"  ... not a fan of Chardonnay for this very reason... now... an Un-Oaked Chard I do like Cool

Edited by Tip69 - March/21/2018 at 08:39
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2018 at 08:27
All whiskies of every type & origin are aged in oak barrels for varying durations of time, so it will impart flavors to all whiskies. The degree of “oakiness” you taste will then depend on how assertive the other flavors from distillation and cask type are, how much the inside of the barrel was charred, the species of oak used, and how much time it was aged in the oak.
Ted

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2018 at 08:41
well said Ted...... and I guess the whiskies I have enjoyed over the years haven't given me the oakiness I'm not a fan of.   part of the fun for me is finding them... including Chard's
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 12:09
They have some interesting articles on that site. I enjoy reading it every now and then.

On the NAS debate, I tend to side with the camp that prefers age statements on the labels. What's really important is how good the contents in the bottles are, and there are quite a few NAS whiskies I really like. Nevertheless, I like knowing what I'm buying, and appreciate full disclosure. When I'm trying something for the first time, I like knowing how long the whisky has spent maturing so that, armed with this info along with reviews, I can get a better sense of whether the price is justified. Even if it's a young maturation period, I say put it on the bottle. There are plenty of exceptionally good "young" whiskies out there. I get that many of the NAS whiskies are a blend of old and young stocks to achieve a specific taste profile. So, why can't they put that on the label? Just state that the contents include whisky ranging from _ to _ years old.

I can understand why relatively new distilleries like Kilchoman would have NAS whiskies, when they haven't been in existence long enough to release a 10 or 12 year old whisky in sufficient quantities.
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 12:18
I think they should have blank labels and make everyone guess what's inside...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 12:18
Here's another good article from the same site debating the merits of peated vs. unpeated Scotch:

I fall on neither side of this debate. Good whisky is good whisky. Variety is the spice of life, and both have their place. I enjoy both depending on my mood, and wouldn't want to confine myself to only drinking one or the other style exclusively. 
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 12:52
I certainly don't think peated scotches are "the ultimate definition of scotch".  I enjoy the heavily peated flavors… at times.  As Ted said… it's a mood thing.  There are times when I just absolutely don't want the smoke.  I love barbeque, but don't want to eat it at every meal.  I love my .378 Weatherby Magnum, but it is not going to be my "go to" rifle for everyday hunting.  To me, after about 2100 there is no desire for the "heavy peat"… unless I'm planning on finishing off a bottle that night (and that never happens).  Enjoy them all, favor none…

Stop it, Ed… don't...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 13:02
I won't mention RUM anymore!  Shocked
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 13:05
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

I won't mention RUM anymore!  Shocked

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 13:49
You're right Doug; there are absolutely some very good single malts for less than $40. On that note, I personally think Highland Park 12 is an outstanding whisky for the money, and you can usually find it in most well-stocked liquor stores. I can get it locally for around $35/ 750ml bottle, which is a steal for what you get, IMO! I also think it's a good "intro" Scotch to see if you like some level of peatiness in whisky, without breaking the bank, as it's very mildly peated and has a nice balance of smoky, sweet, and spicy flavors.

Glenmorangie Original 10 y.o. is also a very good intro Scotch for around the same money, if one wants a single malt completely free of any peat flavor. It has the butterscotch, vanilla, cinnamon, spice flavors typical of a good Highlands region single malt, and typical of the Glenmo house style.
Ted

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 15:39

last Friday my Sis's BF wanted to hit the local sports bar and catch some March Madness games.  I didn't  want to disappoint, so I said sure even though we had plans to Do Lent Fish Fry at 5:30.  I didn't want to show up sh*t faced to the Fish Fry (church) so I ordered my "sipping" fav...  Canadian Club and sour.

Can I mix sour with the Speyburn or is that a 'no-no' ?

take em!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 22:55
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

last Friday my Sis's BF wanted to hit the local sports bar and catch some March Madness games.  I didn't  want to disappoint, so I said sure even though we had plans to Do Lent Fish Fry at 5:30.  I didn't want to show up sh*t faced to the Fish Fry (church) so I ordered my "sipping" fav...  Canadian Club and sour.

Can I mix sour with the Speyburn or is that a 'no-no' ?

Do it… there is no real "no no" with whisky/whiskey.  People have been brainwashed into believing that whisky must ONLY be neat or with water or ice… not true.  Try a Manhatten made with Laphroaig… drink a Rusty Nail with Ardbeg. 
I have no problem with peoples' tastes.  There are many great mixtures out there.  If you like a mixer of some sort with a bourbon, there is a GREAT chance you will like it with a Highlands.  The Islays are a little tougher, but they will always go with Drambuie
I can't hack it, but in my bartending career I've had people drink scotch and milk right in front of me…
Be bold…

(I've tried Cardhu and cranberry… not bad)

Edited by Kickboxer - March/23/2018 at 23:00

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 22:58
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 23:01
So say some...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 23:45
I just tasted a small smackeral of my Glenfarclas 17.  Starts out with a sherry overtone and the smell is caramel and marshmallow.  A bit earthy in the middle, tangerine… just heavenly.  Finishes with a plum/prune/caramel and some grand marnier flavor.  
Love this stuff

No cranberry added…

I'll never turn down a Glenfarclas...

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 06:29
Image result for hockey puck don rickles

" Kickboxer will never turn down a bottle of mouthwash " 

Image result for mouthwash

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 07:58
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Image result for hockey puck don rickles

" Kickboxer will never turn down a bottle of mouthwash " 

Image result for mouthwash

I've actually tasted Bay Rum Cologne... 
Ed has never tasted Glenfarclas....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 47>
  Share Topic