OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 47>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 08:08
Laugh
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 08:10
Image result for george burnsgif

" But Eduardo once swallowed a bunch of gasoline while siphoning gas! " 

Bucky

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 08:19
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Bucky

Ed's youth:

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 11:58

Bucky

BeltFed has too. Then one time a friend of mine gave me a shot of Wild Turkey rare Breed; I think I would rather of had the gasoline.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 12:05
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I just tasted a small smackeral of my Glenfarclas 17.  Starts out with a sherry overtone and the smell is caramel and marshmallow.  A bit earthy in the middle, tangerine… just heavenly.  Finishes with a plum/prune/caramel and some grand marnier flavor.  
Love this stuff

No cranberry added…

I'll never turn down a Glenfarclas...

Cardhu and cranberry?

I am in Huntsville next week. I was thinking of reaching out, but now I am reconsidering that.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 12:41
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

They have some interesting articles on that site. I enjoy reading it every now and then.

On the NAS debate, I tend to side with the camp that prefers age statements on the labels. What's really important is how good the contents in the bottles are, and there are quite a few NAS whiskies I really like. Nevertheless, I like knowing what I'm buying, and appreciate full disclosure. When I'm trying something for the first time, I like knowing how long the whisky has spent maturing so that, armed with this info along with reviews, I can get a better sense of whether the price is justified. Even if it's a young maturation period, I say put it on the bottle. There are plenty of exceptionally good "young" whiskies out there. I get that many of the NAS whiskies are a blend of old and young stocks to achieve a specific taste profile. So, why can't they put that on the label? Just state that the contents include whisky ranging from _ to _ years old.

I can understand why relatively new distilleries like Kilchoman would have NAS whiskies, when they haven't been in existence long enough to release a 10 or 12 year old whisky in sufficient quantities.

This article sums up my thoughts on the whole "age statement vs NAS" debate very well. 

There are several NAS Scotches that rank highly on my personal best list and I'm not opposed to buying a NAS whisky if the stuff tastes good. I just agree with the author and see the NAS trend as an avenue for distilleries to allow marketing and idyllic storytelling on the packaging to take precedence over the quality of the contents and charge more for less.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 12:50
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I just tasted a small smackeral of my Glenfarclas 17.  Starts out with a sherry overtone and the smell is caramel and marshmallow.  A bit earthy in the middle, tangerine… just heavenly.  Finishes with a plum/prune/caramel and some grand marnier flavor.  
Love this stuff

No cranberry added…

Cardhu and cranberry?

I am in Huntsville next week. I was thinking of reaching out, but now I am reconsidering that.

ILya

Slow day, bartenders get bored... they try things.. how do you think mixed drinks are made?

I'll be at Picatinny Arsenal next week...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 12:56
Maybe ILya can come up to Waco and have a beer out of a Mason jar with me!  Bucky

Image result for beer in mason jar

Image result for ray milland weekend bartender    Image result for full ashtray

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 12:59

Maybe ILya can come up to Waco and have a beer out of a Mason jar with me!  Bucky

Image result for beer in mason jar

Image result for ray milland weekend bartender    Image result for full ashtray

Since you said "BEER" and Waco... must be Lone Star... 
Ain't nothin' better...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 13:06

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

last Friday my Sis's BF wanted to hit the local sports bar and catch some March Madness games.  I didn't  want to disappoint, so I said sure even though we had plans to Do Lent Fish Fry at 5:30.  I didn't want to show up sh*t faced to the Fish Fry (church) so I ordered my "sipping" fav...  Canadian Club and sour.

Can I mix sour with the Speyburn or is that a 'no-no' ?

Do it… there is no real "no no" with whisky/whiskey.  People have been brainwashed into believing that whisky must ONLY be neat or with water or ice… not true.  Try a Manhatten made with Laphroaig… drink a Rusty Nail with Ardbeg. 
I have no problem with peoples' tastes.  There are many great mixtures out there.  If you like a mixer of some sort with a bourbon, there is a GREAT chance you will like it with a Highlands.  The Islays are a little tougher, but they will always go with Drambuie
I can't hack it, but in my bartending career I've had people drink scotch and milk right in front of me…
Be bold…

(I've tried Cardhu and cranberry… not bad)

I have a buddy who fills about a 12 oz glass 2/3rds full of ice water, then pours in maybe 2-3 oz of single malt Scotch. He then proceeds to wax eloquent on how much he loves his Glenlivet 12 or whatever other Speyside malt he bought at the time because "it's so smooth." Though I have a tough time biting my tongue, I'm not going to tell him how he should drink his hooch he paid for. But damn, he could have poured in almost any cheap swill into that much ice and water and had the same "smooth" experience.

The best way to drink your whisk(e)y is any damn way you like it. However, I just don't see the logic in paying a premium for "the good stuff," only to dilute it with soft drinks, fruit juice, and the like. You buy the good stuff to enjoy the character of a well-made or extra matured spirit. There are several mixed drinks I like, but why negate the whole reason for the higher price tag by mixing with other things that compete with it when there are plenty of $20 bottles you could use for mixed drinks?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 13:10
You bet! That's why I buy $7 a bottle vodka.....!!!!
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 13:11
Related image
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 14:09
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

last Friday my Sis's BF wanted to hit the local sports bar and catch some March Madness games.  I didn't  want to disappoint, so I said sure even though we had plans to Do Lent Fish Fry at 5:30.  I didn't want to show up sh*t faced to the Fish Fry (church) so I ordered my "sipping" fav...  Canadian Club and sour.

Can I mix sour with the Speyburn or is that a 'no-no' ?

Do it… there is no real "no no" with whisky/whiskey.  People have been brainwashed into believing that whisky must ONLY be neat or with water or ice… not true.  Try a Manhatten made with Laphroaig… drink a Rusty Nail with Ardbeg. 
I have no problem with peoples' tastes.  There are many great mixtures out there.  If you like a mixer of some sort with a bourbon, there is a GREAT chance you will like it with a Highlands.  The Islays are a little tougher, but they will always go with Drambuie
I can't hack it, but in my bartending career I've had people drink scotch and milk right in front of me…
Be bold…

(I've tried Cardhu and cranberry… not bad)

I have a buddy who fills about a 12 oz glass 2/3rds full of ice water, then pours in maybe 2-3 oz of single malt Scotch. He then proceeds to wax eloquent on how much he loves his Glenlivet 12 or whatever other Speyside malt he bought at the time because "it's so smooth." Though I have a tough time biting my tongue, I'm not going to tell him how he should drink his hooch he paid for. But damn, he could have poured in almost any cheap swill into that much ice and water and had the same "smooth" experience.

The best way to drink your whisk(e)y is any damn way you like it. However, I just don't see the logic in paying a premium for "the good stuff," only to dilute it with soft drinks, fruit juice, and the like. You buy the good stuff to enjoy the character of a well-made or extra matured spirit. There are several mixed drinks I like, but why negate the whole reason for the higher price tag by mixing with other things that compete with it when there are plenty of $20 bottles you could use for mixed drinks?

Some people claim to be able to nuance the tastes... for the most part, I cannot.  Sometimes I can taste a difference in "well" vs "call" liquors in a mixed drink, sometimes not... much depends on what the mixer is.  However, on those that I CAN tell the difference, it is well worth the difference in price.
As a bartender I had the opportunity to try and create a large variety of elixirs... some good, some very good, some terrible.  In those days, trying things just to be trying them was a regular thing.  
I was only kidding with Ed about Hennessy and Coke... I've tried it, not that bad.  If someone orders a Hennessy and Coke or Courvoisier and Coke, I'm not going to say anything to them... just pour it.  If they order a Louis XIII and Coke or Napoleon Brandy and Coke, I'm going to say "are you sure???? You want that Coke as a back???"  We might discuss the finer points of Brandy and Cognac and Coke.  But if they want it, I'll pour it.  After the fact, I've tried most of the drinks people have ordered... just to see what it tastes like... some are at least tolerable.  
After a couple hits of Romulan Ale, you won't care what anything tastes like... it's all good.  

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 15:10
I DO drink brandy with Coke and lots of other stuff.....fruit juices mostly....I picked it up in Africa out in the bush drinking with the drillers out in the sun with no refrigerators....Everything was HOT!  

I would never ORDER a brandy with coke! I would order a Diet Coke separately!  Big Grin

Image result for roughing it in Africa

I like Hennessy with Ginger Ale.....   Wink  But I have been drinking my bottle of KELT straight!!   Head Bang

Related image

Edited by Son of Ed - March/24/2018 at 23:16
Visit the Ed Show
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 15:30
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Love this stuff

No cranberry added…

Cardhu and cranberry?

ILya

That made me LOL  Big Grin

take em!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2018 at 08:58
Image result for don rickles roast

" Eduardo only drinks when he's alone or with somebody! " 

Related image

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2018 at 10:24
Was at a bar with some buddies one nite and a young lady ordered a Chivas & Tab! 😂
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2018 at 11:34
Ted... you made an excellent point... why pay more if you don't need to!   I am all about 'value' if I'm about anything.... so this hit home with me.

I would really like to be a "whiskey" man... cause it looks good.  and sometimes... not always... I just like to "look good"

that's how i came to 'like' beer.... and eventually I did :)

as a young man, college age, I used to like Jack... chase it with beer.  but I got stupid drunk on it one time (cause I didn't have much money and drank it with very little coke at a wedding-had to buy the coke, Jack was free) and for years, just the smell of Jack(whiskey) made me nauseated.   I can at least sip CC and sour now... so hoping to build on that.
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2018 at 12:42
Everything in moderation. Enjoying whisk(e)y is about slowing down, taking sips and letting it linger on the tongue to savor the complexity of flavors. Don’t slam it down, and set reasonable limits of how much you will drink in a given period of time and stick to those limits. Some recommendations for good inexpensive intro single malts and blends have been provided here. Good Bourbon is typically less expensive than good Scotch and Irish, so if you end up preferring it, you can get into “the good stuff” for much less. You can also usually get the small sample bottles of many whiskies at the bigger liquor stores, so you can sample some variety very inexpensively. Listen to recommendations, but ultimately let your own tastebuds be your guide, not what anyone else tells you you should like. No two people have exactly the same tastes, and more expensive doesn’t necessarily equate to “better” tasting whisky. There are some good values out there, though price can be an indicator of quality, and the better tasting stuff usually carries a higher price tag. Still, you can get some outstanding whiskies on a tight budget.

Personally, I stick to Scotch, Irish, and Bourbon whisk(e)y, per my own preferences. I’ve been wanting to try some well-reviewed Japanese single malts too, but the selection I’ve seen locally is very lacking. There are a few Texas craft whiskies I’ve liked pretty well. For the most part, I’ve been disappointed by Canadian whisky.
Ted

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2018 at 13:14
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 47>
  Share Topic