OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 47>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2019 at 13:14
Somehow, I believe that is ABSOLUTELY true..
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2019 at 13:34
Wink
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2019 at 13:36
Image result for pull my finger

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2019 at 14:02
Related image

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2019 at 17:49
At my retirement lunch today, my cohorts presented me with a bottle of High West Whiskey from Utah (of all places... who knew).  
I've not tried it yet, but it comes highly recommended from those who have.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2019 at 18:33
Mormon Whiskey Whoa!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2019 at 19:40
I may move to Utah...

First inhalation gives some spice/cinnamon with just an overtone of jasmine...
First sip... smooth, spicy, definitely aged in oak, but not overbearing... light and mellow... vanilla and something that hints heather
Finish... a creamy Madagascar vanilla flavor with flowery overtones.

This is much more reminiscent of a FINE scotch than a bourbon.  It is absolutely wonderful.  

Mormon whiskey... who knew???
This outclasses several of my Glenmorangie and Macallan scotches and leaves my bourbon stockage in the breeze.  
And... it is reasonably priced.  
Totally unexpected.  

A side note... It has been 7 to 10 minutes since I took a sip and I finally got a bourbon backchannel on the back of my tongue.   I REALLY like this stuff.  
I noticed they actually make a blend of bourbon and scotch... I'm DEFINITELY going to have to try that.
Darn right WOW...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2019 at 20:16
Which version of High West do you have, Dan? American Prairie Bourbon? I've seen their stuff in a few stores but never tried any. Maybe I should pick up a bottle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2019 at 21:09
Ted,
 Yes, it is the American Prairies.  Believe me, it is a treat... 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2019 at 12:36
Thanks for the info!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2019 at 13:29
Related image

" If it's more than $6 Eduardo may have to pass....."  

Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2019 at 13:42
Some new (to me) single malts I tried recently, listed in order of preference:

1. Old Pulteney 17

Without a doubt, this is one of my top 10 favorite single malt Scotches I've tasted. It ticks all the check boxes for me. I'm going to have to buy some more, but unfortunately supply is limited since this has been discontinued. I have a bottle of OP21 at home, and this too has been discontinued for now. I ever so slightly prefer the 21, but 17 is very close and is much less expensive. While it was available, the 17 was fairly reasonably priced at around $85.

Nose: vanilla, pears, green apples, caramel, honey
Taste: slightly salted caramel, pears, green apples, citrus, vanilla, honey, toasted almonds, raisins
Finish: more salted caramel, malted barley, cherries, almonds, becoming slightly dry

Various reviews suggest that this whisky has taken on the salt air/brine into the casks as it ages due to the distillery's location near the ocean. I kind of viewed this claim as bs, but damned if it doesn't have a slight saltiness in the flavor that nicely balances the sweetness of the vanilla, caramel, and fruit notes. This is truly an outstanding whisky!

It appears that OP is retaining its 12, 15, 18, and 25 YO single malts. Of those, I've only seen the 12 and a couple of no-age statement variations of OP in stores. Will have to give some of their other bottlings a try.

2. Tomatin 18
This is a typical "sherry bomb," being aged entirely in oloroso sherry casks. As such, it has the typical flavor profile you get from a sherry cask-aged single malt Scotch. 
Nose: honey, butterscotch, citrus, malt
Taste: pretty much follows the nose, with added almonds, raisins, cherries, some dark chocolate, berries.
Finish: initially sweet, malty, honey, cherries, oaky, becoming dry

I really like this one a lot, but it is hard to find. I find the flavor to be very similar to GlenDronach 12, which I like a little better, is a bit less expensive, and is easier to find.

3. Craigellachie 13
This is a very unusual single malt for a couple reasons. Bottled at 13 years old, this is a very odd age statement. Off the top of my head, I know of no other whisky bottled at 13 years old. There are scores of 12 year olds, a few 14s and quite a few 15 year olds. Why is 13 the magic number here? Secondly, the flavor isn't typical of what you normally expect from a Speyside whisky. It has a pretty in-your-face, bold flavor profile. I've heard that most of Craigellachie's production has been used in blended Scotches, and they haven't released much production as single malts.

I'm not sure what the proper pronunciation of the name is, but I do like this whisky. It is a nice change of pace from the typical Speyside single malt.
Nose:  Pineapple, green apple, melons
Taste: Green apple, honey, melons, malted barley, a hint of smoke, BBQ sauce
Finish: Pepper, cinnamon, malted barley, oak, initially sweet but becoming dry

This is a good change of pace from normal Speyside malts, and it's fairly reasonably priced. I haven't seen much from this distillery. Though not among my upper tier favorites, it is a good whisky that has a unique flavor profile. I would buy this again.
Ted

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2019 at 14:01
Related image

" Eduardo will lick up the rings on the table...."     

Image result for crowd laughing animated gif

Visit the Ed Show
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2019 at 21:48
RD, when I come hunting you're going to have to teach me the finer points of civilized drinking
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2019 at 05:37
I don’t know about the “civilized” part but, will do!
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2019 at 16:21
Monkey's Shoulder...
Starts off with a sweet smell, some flower I can't ID..
Initial taste of leather, heather and cigar smoke, secondary vanilla with a hint of cinnamon and on the back of the tongue a bare peaty flavoring.
It is bold and complex with TONS of flavor.  
Sadly, doesn't taste anything like a monkey's shoulder... at least not that I remember... but I like it anyway.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2019 at 18:45
Isaac Bowman Pioneer Spirit Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished in Port Barrels...

Another Bourbon that tastes more like Scotch than Bourbon.  Very good, smooth, refined, heavy Port flavors, catch the Bourbon on the back of the tongue.  Upfront cinnamon and vanilla.  Sweetness that comes from the Port.  There is some caramel, perhaps cotton candy, and, maybe just my wishful thinking, but the barest hint of Magnolia...  
I'm rather fond of it...

Went to Tennessee today to pick up my grandson and before his nap at the daycare was over, we went to a small purveyor of alcoholic spirits to get a bottle of wine for my wife.  Walking through the store, noticed they were setting up a new display... Isaac Bowman.  Nice bottle... so I had to try it.  How fortuitous...  The owner said there was a tea taste to it... maybe, but I don't get it.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2019 at 19:16
Image result for ray milland weekend bartender

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2019 at 19:48
Have another drink, Eduardo... looks like you need one.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2019 at 09:00
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Monkey's Shoulder...
Starts off with a sweet smell, some flower I can't ID..
Initial taste of leather, heather and cigar smoke, secondary vanilla with a hint of cinnamon and on the back of the tongue a bare peaty flavoring.
It is bold and complex with TONS of flavor.  
Sadly, doesn't taste anything like a monkey's shoulder... at least not that I remember... but I like it anyway.

I learned from an online review where that whisky got its name. Interestingly, the term refers to an ailment, not an animal part (not directly, at least). “Back in the day” during the malting process (allowing barley to begin germination to increase sugar content, then stopping germination by drying after partial germination), distillery employees would manually “flip” or turn the dampened barley sitting on a distillery’s malting floor by hand using a shovel. Some small distilleries still do this manually today. This is done a couple times a day so that the heat from germination can dissipate. After long periods of the same repetitive motion, the worker would eventually develop extreme soreness in one shoulder causing one arm to droop. They called this condition “monkey shoulder.”

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 47>
  Share Topic