OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 47>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2019 at 15:51
Image result for drunk

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2019 at 16:16
That'll be me...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2019 at 01:47
There is something about having a whisky and falling a sleep afterwards...
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2019 at 10:57
Dan, I have a bottle of Craigellachie 13 at home, and I agree with you; I get some “BBQ sauce” notes as well.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2019 at 12:23
speaking of beer, I’m sitting watching old movies drinking genuine Budvar
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2019 at 17:28

" Ray Milland got plastered In THE LOST WEEKEND "       

Related image

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2019 at 20:18
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Dan, I have a bottle of Craigellachie 13 at home, and I agree with you; I get some “BBQ sauce” notes as well.

It amazes me how subtle and "reserved" it is.  I kept telling Lori that it smelled like something we had had for dinner lately... I searched for a while, finally opened and sniffed a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's... held both to Lori's nose and she said "that's it".  And it adds so much.  Total surprise to me.  An interesting and pleasant take on peat smoke... 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2019 at 20:19
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

speaking of beer, I’m sitting watching old movies drinking genuine Budvar
OK, you got me... what is Budvar...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2019 at 00:05
I know this seems kind of a weird and pointless factor for evaluating a whisky since it has no bearing on the quality of the spirit, but I also really like the “retro” look of the Craig 13 packaging. The label design has an “early 1900’s” style, and it looks like it was printed using lithography. Very cool!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2019 at 07:18
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I know this seems kind of a weird and pointless factor for evaluating a whisky since it has no bearing on the quality of the spirit, but I also really like the “retro” look of the Craig 13 packaging. The label design has an “early 1900’s” style, and it looks like it was printed using lithography. Very cool!

The lithography look is what drew me to it in the first place.  Had it not been for the unusual packaging, it would have been lost in a SEA of bourbon and scotch.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2019 at 18:33
Irish Whiskey... I've tried dozens over the years.  Found a few I actually liked... some I really hated.  Today, in an out of the way liquor store in Tennessee I found Sexton Single Malt Irish Whiskey.  Has an odd, but intriguing bottle... with a laughing skeleton on it... so I thought, "why not... what have I got to lose???"

The first sniff is floral, but i could not identify it.
With just a dash of H20 to open it up, initial taste had leather, some coffee and a wee hint of honey.  As it progresses to the back of the tongue, there is just a slight, mellow peat flavor... not overbearing or dramatic at all... just the most wonderful gentle smokey/peaty hint.  It is delightful.  Then, there is a creaminess, soft and slightly sweet that finishes the tastes.  Nothing biting, nothing that "assaults" the senses.  A most excellent whiskey that I am thankful to have found.  Oh yeah... and at the very end of a sip, just before being "commanded" to take another... there is a hint of licorice(which I love, by the way).  
I think the laughing skeleton is a hint that you may like it so much, it will kill you...
Sexton Single Malt Irish Whiskey is a true treat.  Strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a wee dram of excellent whisk(e)y now and then.  This one is definitely going in my bar...

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2019 at 08:05
Hmmmm, so when are you buying the whiskey bottle biog enough to drive around in????
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2019 at 08:13
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Hmmmm, so when are you buying the whiskey bottle biog enough to drive around in????

Bud, you lost me... what'd he say???

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2019 at 08:16
Well if your going to climb into a bottle you might as well drive one....

Yes it was a lame joke.... only ones I know!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2019 at 08:29
OOOOhhhhh... I get it...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2019 at 18:16
I know I've discussed it before and this is a whisk(e)y site... I can't help myself.  I LOVE Dragon's Milk.  From New Holland Brewing, Dragon's Milk is 17th Century terminology for Stout reserved for Royalty.  It is truly a royal brew.  Aged in oak bourbon barrels for at least 120 days, it is the ambrosia of stout beers.  If I were told I had to give up everything else... I would fight to the death for Dragon's Milk.  
It is more ale than beer and it IS stout, sweet and sour... more sweet than sour, slight bourbon hints, STRONG stout. 
If you love brown beer... beer that is truly BEER... give it a try.  

It runs about $4.00/bottle.  Fairly expensive for a beer you buy in a store.
However, I was sitting in a bar in Houston, Texas when the FIRST price hike to $1.00/glass of draft beer went into effect... EVERYBODY was complaining.  I was sitting next to a regular at the bar and he was listening to everybody "b*tch" about the price.  He stood up and above the outroar said, "Hey, what are you complaining about... (long pause) I don't see how they can make anything so damned good so damned CHEAP..."  Everybody shut up and went back to drinking beer... which is what they were there for.
I have to agree on Dragon's Milk... I'd pay a lot more for it.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2019 at 06:50
LOL, probably shouldn't have said that out loud....
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2019 at 21:02
Wathan's Kentucky Bourbon... I was unfamiliar with it, thought I'd give it a try.  What an outstanding whiskey.  Made from family recipes initiated in the 1700's, it is one of the best unknown (to me) bourbons I have ever tasted.  Flavors of honeysuckle, vanilla, caramel, fine port, honey, light oak and spice (cinnamon), it is a real treat. Has a bit of a "kick" at 94 proof, but it is overwhelmed by the port/caramel flavors.   There is no age statement on the bottle... I can't guess the age.  For me, it is "enough", but maybe could be aged a bit longer for full mellowing.  I like the stuff, a lot.   A good addition to my bar stock.  

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2019 at 07:41
I'm hoping you've already bought up all available stock before the great stampede starts....
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2019 at 08:10
Nope... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 47>
  Share Topic