OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SLC neu vs current optics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2018 at 14:31
Though maybe not the best value for their hefty price tags, the good news about all of the upper tier, so-called “alpha” binos mentioned is you can’t make a bad choice, even if you choose one that isn’t the “ultimate” match to your eyes. The differences between them optically will be minuscule to most people, and those differences will boil down to personal preferences, not necessarily borne out of technical superiority of one over the other. I really believe when you get into this class of optic, things like form factor/ergos, eyecup comfort, focuser speed and feel, etc is as or more important than optical performance. At this level, they are all optically stunning.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2018 at 15:57
Right on Rifle.  
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2018 at 08:35
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Though maybe not the best value for their hefty price tags, the good news about all of the upper tier, so-called “alpha” binos mentioned is you can’t make a bad choice, even if you choose one that isn’t the “ultimate” match to your eyes. The differences between them optically will be minuscule to most people, and those differences will boil down to personal preferences, not necessarily borne out of technical superiority of one over the other. I really believe when you get into this class of optic, things like form factor/ergos, eyecup comfort, focuser speed and feel, etc is as or more important than optical performance. At this level, they are all optically stunning.

I couldn't have said it better, as JG stated, "right on...".
Wf

Edited by Whitefire - February/17/2018 at 08:40
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2018 at 16:45
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

To my eye, Leica Noctivid is the best binocular on the market today.

ILya
As far as Leicas go, I see that the sample list has both Ultravid HD's and the HD+ in the bigger objective models - is there much gained by the HD plus, or is the difference negligible?  Reading different articles online indicates that the step was minor.  

I checked out some of the HD+ models in a store yesterday (yes, in addition to my new EL's, I might buy one more premium bino for my kid who is becoming very serious about hunting) and was impressed by the image, so before I jump on another swaro ......
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2018 at 18:17
Originally posted by probably probably wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

To my eye, Leica Noctivid is the best binocular on the market today.

ILya
As far as Leicas go, I see that the sample list has both Ultravid HD's and the HD+ in the bigger objective models - is there much gained by the HD plus, or is the difference negligible?  Reading different articles online indicates that the step was minor.  

I checked out some of the HD+ models in a store yesterday (yes, in addition to my new EL's, I might buy one more premium bino for my kid who is becoming very serious about hunting) and was impressed by the image, so before I jump on another swaro ......

I have had the EL models both 8x32 and 8.5x42, the former and the Swarovision.

I also have a Leica 8x42 UV HD.  The EL's are better in my eyes, in several ways

including brightness, handling, open bridge and the SV has the flat field view to

the edges. 

probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 13:53
Those EL's finally arrived.  Excellent glass.  I made the right choice. 
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 17:01

What size did you get ?  The Swarovision is hard to beat, good to hear you

are pleased.

Jerry

probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 19:00
10x42's.  I would have preferred the 50's, but the deal was too good to pass up.  These are new production, and I do not see any rolling ball effect, which I was a little concerned about. 

I had all my different binos out today, and these EL SV's were far and away better than everything else. 

I'd still consider the Leica 50mm's for my kid, if anybody can tell me the difference between the HD and the HD+ in an 8x50 (if the upgrade is worth 300 bucks, or not)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 11:42
You made a great choice, of course. EL SV is a superb bino. As far as sharpness out to the edge of the field is concerned, it's as good or better than anything else on the planet.

Most optics companies intentionally design their binos to have some degree of pincushion distortion so that you don't get the aforementioned "rolling ball" effect when panning. Pincushion distortion makes the "flow" of objects in and out of the field of view appear more "normal" to the human brain when panning. This inevitably involves the image being softer along the field edges. With a "flat field" design like the SV, you do get a very expansive, impressive sharp view out to or close to the field edge when looking at stationary objects, but the "globe" or "rolling ball" effect when panning through binos with field flattening optical design makes some people dizzy/causes eye fatigue or headache when doing lots of panning. To some people, this isn't an issue. A lot depends on how you use your binos as well. If you typically do a lot of panning, searching for game animals, you might have an issue, but maybe not. Some people don't notice the globe effect at all, and even among those who do notice it, the issue is sometimes overstated. If you're among those who don't notice it, you tend to do less panning, or if you do notice it but it doesn't bother you, you won't find a better view than the SV offers. All optics involve a series of design tradeoffs. 

Congratulations on owning a premier binocular!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 03:18
Originally posted by WJC WJC wrote:

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman", serif; }.MsoChpDefault { }div.WordSection1 { }

I’m a stick in the mud when it comes to binoculars because I want folks to be able to choose for themselves which path they will choose—fact or fiction.

Over the past 50 years, there have been hundreds of “improvements” in optical/binocular technology to cause observers to go weak in the knees. However, if EACH “improvement” offered only a ¼ percent increase in image quality 100-millimeter objectives could be housed in 30mm cells, would provide photographically flat, aberration-free images, would weigh as much as 4 postage stamps, and would allow the observer to see events days BEFORE they happen.

In addition, even some experience observers claim to be able to see things that can’t be seen by humans. For example:

From page 34 of BINOCULARS: Fallacy & Fact

“Frequently, when an observer suggests one manufacturer’s AR coatings are noticeably superior to those of another brand of similar quality, the difference he or she is seeing probably relates more to baffling, prism shields, edge blackening, size and position of the field stop, knife-edge on that stop, prism type, slotted prisms (in Porro prism instruments), configuration of the eyepiece, and other considerations than coatings alone.”

‘Just thought you should know.

Bill

I want THAT binocular...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 07:54
The “view the future” bino would certainly be badass, but I’d be really concerned having a flux capacitor that close to your face might cause a brain tumor.
Ted

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 13:48
I'd be more concerned about having 1.21 gigawatts that close to me.
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 14:12
reminds me of my old drill sergeant who told a kid "those glasses are so thick you can see the future"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 15:30
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

I'd be more concerned about having 1.21 gigawatts that close to me.

Haha! Yeah, that’d no doubt “leave a mark!”
Ted

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2018 at 19:59
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The “view the future” bino would certainly be badass, but I’d be really concerned having a flux capacitor that close to your face might cause a brain tumor.

Don't worry Ted, the garbage-fueled Mr. Fusion is a totally safe, non-carcinogenic power source.

-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 04:00

The flux capacitor produces no external harmful radiation...

However, the 1.21 gigawatts, supplied to the appropriate high energy beam weapon, will DEFINITELY leave a mark...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The flux capacitor produces no external harmful radiation...

However, the 1.21 gigawatts, supplied to the appropriate high energy beam weapon, will DEFINITELY leave a mark...

Sting a bit too
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic