OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex owner looking for a different brand.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex owner looking for a different brand.
    Posted: February/17/2018 at 13:10
Figured I would post here to see what the recommendation would be for my price point as I haven't been keeping up with the latest fads or technology as I've been a vortex guy for quiet some time.

I basically sold off all my vortex scopes and my budget is going to be around $300-350 per scope.

I know what I want in a scope and I am pretty realistic.

Want a company that has been around (tried and true).
Unconditional warranty if the scope malfunctions for any reason short of user stupidity.
Looking for something with decent eye relief 4" would be ideal.
Clear quality glass, good in low light conditions, shots out to 400-500 yards will be the max and I am personally fine using a 9x or 10x at those yardages. Prefer a scope that has variable focal lengths. IE: 3-9, 3.5-10 etc. I do not need turrets, fancy reticles etc.

I really like the zeiss conquest line of scopes as they check off all my boxes, but they are a bit above my budget due to the amount of scopes I need to replace.

Is there anything in this price point that compares or comes close? I just bought a leupold vx3i and I am very happy with everything besides their eye box and eye relief.

Hopefully that was enough of a description to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance!
probably View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2018 at 16:16
300-350 is going to be difficult for a quality scope. 

A basic meopta meopro is very hard to beat, but will cost you around 450-500
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2018 at 16:31
I would suggest looking at Nikon Monarch, Burris Fullfield  or Bushnell Elite. There are certainly others like Sightron but I have only used the three I mention. They work quite well for your price range.

Doug
alaska_guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2018 at 17:44
Thanks, I don't need top tier optics. These will be used on hunting rifles. I received my vx3i cds for $350. For the price point I think it's a very good scope. It's no zeiss, swaro, etc... But I am pretty sure it will work. Anything competitive in that price point besides vx3i?

I looked at burris, monarch and the Bushnell before I picked up the leupold.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 12:43
Nikon monarch to my eyes was superior to the burris, especially in the evenings in low light. I think you need a Bushnell Elite 4500 to be close to a monarch. 

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 12:51
Hard to beat the Leupold VX3i in that price range. 
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 14:18
WOW, CFII makes an appearance! ExcellentExcellentExcellent Hope U R well. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 21:33
http://swfa.com/redfield-4-12x40-revolution-rifle-scope-3.html

This might be a good value for you.

http://samplelist.com/leupold-3-5-10x40-mark-4-lr-t-30mm-riflescope-demo-b-10.html
Good value on a very capable used  Leupold Mk 4

http://samplelist.com/leupold-45-14x50-vx-3i-riflescope-demo-b-178719.html
another Leupold you might like with CDS dial which is a nice feature.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 21:54
Thanks.  I decided to take the following scopes out tonight at low light and I can't really tell a difference to be honest.  I kept going back and forth and they looked pretty identical.  My mind wanted to say the Leupold was better just because it costs more... But I visually couldn't tell a difference.  My father in laws leupold was MUCH brighter than my diamondback the last hunt we went on... I need to see if his was a 50mm objective.

Diamondback 3x9x40 BDC
Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10 Windplex

I wish I could take pictures but I just cant steady my hand that easy.

Vortex is having a sale on their 4-16x44 Viper HST for $425...  I am debating on purchasing on of them to compare in low light.  It's really hard to compare scopes in a well lit store.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2018 at 22:08
The Leupold does win hands down on clarity.  But as far as light transmission I was expecting the leupold to blow it away.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2018 at 20:17
Nikon Monarch 3.
I don't know about their warranty. Maybe that means they are good and don't break.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 00:09
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

I don't know about their warranty. Maybe that means they are good and don't break.

LOL, well, they give you a new one, Every. Single. Time. It. Breaks.

Had three in two months a few years back, the first replacement lasted two shots on my Sako 75 7mm08. I never took the third one out of the box, put it on Craigslist and sold it at a heavily discounted price.

Nice and clear, sucks in low light and about as durable as my wife’s fine china.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 12:15
I have 2 Monarchs. A UCC 3-9X40 which has been on my 7-08 for 14 years. I have had to rezero it one time. 

I have a M3 4-16X50 BDC on my 270, and it is sweet in low light. Never an issue with it either. Holds zero and gun is well under 1moa. All day long. 

I wish it was a 3-16, but.... its all good. I mainly use it out of a shooting house at longer ranges. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 20:32
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to stick to leupold and see how they fair.
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 06:43
I own optics from price points from $40 at Wal-Mart through Swarovski and Nightforce.  All of my hunting rifles these days have a Leupold VX3, except my rimfires and airgun which have their VXII 3-9x33 EFR.  My two favorite scopes are the 1.75-6 and 2.5-8 VX3's.  Both are bright and clear enough to my eyes to hunt heavy timber for 5-15 minutes past dark thirty (legal shooting time here), depending on atmospheric conditions.  They are small, light, tough, and affordable. 

Also, I only run the newer ones because I really like the Alumina flip covers on a hunting gun.  I do find them a little pricey for what they are but they are worth it to me.  They allow the scope to be mounted lower without cutting out the bottom of the cover for clearance (one of my 3-9x33 EFR's with flip covers is literally mounted 1mm above my gun on my air rifle...can't do that with Butler Creek), they do a better job of sealing out water and dust than the butler creek ones, but most importantly they don't make the "POP" noise that Butler Creek flip covers do when hunting.

I'm not going to say that my VX3's are the best thing since sliced bread.  They aren't the best scopes made or even the best optics that I own.  They are however good enough optically to consistently get the job done in hunting conditions, tough enough that I've never had to worry about zero drift, consistent enough to make sighting in pretty quick and easy, small, light, and come with a superb customer service/warranty.  I consider them to be a really high value hunting optic all things considered.  While I could put higher end glass on my hunting guns, I don't think it would help me kill any more animals so as they say, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 11:49
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I would suggest looking at Nikon Monarch

Like Tahqua mentioned, I would also look to Nikon. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 18:29
Thanks guys.  What's the recommended distance from the scope objective to the mounts/barrel for clearance?

I have about .06" clearance from the bottom of my scope objective of the bell to my talley mounts.  In theory it shouldn't flex...  But just wanted to double check.  Also how close to the bell of the objective should the rings be before causing issues with the tube?  I have about .20 clearance on my tube before my front ring is about to hit the bell.

I have always just gone with, if it fits and doesn't hit anything and I can get the desired eye relief to run it.  Just want to make sure I am not causing issues down the road.  I have extended talley mounts so I can get the scope back further so I can get the eye relief I need as the stock is just a tad too long for me.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 18:42
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 19:32
I'd imagine that is fine so long as your not shooting something like a 450 Nitro Express.  Your scope will have some degree of flex during recoil but it really won't be that much and being so close to your bases it would require A LOT of angular flex to make contact where even if it did, it wouldn't be bumping hard. 
akguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2018 at 21:41
i have been looking a lot at trijicon scopes, and just bought a accupower 2.5-10x56. the glass is outstanding, and i happened to have a schmidt-bender to compare to ( stratos). the trijicon was only a bit behind the SB. for $ 535, about impossible to beat. illuminated reticle, 56 mm lense for lots of light, solid construction. something to consider....
livin in AK 36 years
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic