OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 AR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 308 AR
    Posted: February/22/2018 at 14:14

Putting together an aero precision M5 set (https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/178864/).  Wanting to make sure I am on the right train of thought. 

I purchased a LPK for the M5 from aero minus the fire control and pistol grip.   I have a barrel already from a buddy who bought a Ballistics Advantage 308 barrel then switched to creedmoor before firing the first shot.

On the rest of the build...... my impression/knowledge is that the only 308 specific parts I'll need to finish will be -

• Buffer
  • Buffer spring
  • BCG
  • Charging handle
  • Ejection port cover

The other parts can be from the AR15 platform/size

• pistol grip
  • handguard
  • fire control/trigger
  • handguard
  • buffer tube
  • stock
  • gas block
  • gas tube

Anything I got screwy here? 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 14:33
Handguard will need to be .308 handguard.  The barrel nuts and barrel extension are much larger. 

I just ordered a Aero M5 set on their presidents day sale one with the fitted handguard.  Have plans to do similar.  On my Mega MATEN set you could use a AR-15 tube, buffer and spring.  Not sure on the Aero either, when mine arrives I plan to try the AR-15 tube and see if it works or not as I have several laying around. 

I really wanted to do a lightweight upper and lower, but the Aero is only 6 ozs heavier than the 2A armament with the handguard I would have chose with it.  More than twice the price for 6 ozs was to hard to swallow. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 16:25
I would do a 308 trigger, not an AR15 trigger, you can get bumpfires due to higher recoil. Timney makes AR10 triggers, I use those.

But people do use AR15 triggers in AR10s. Maybe you get lucky and get a full auto with no stamp.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 16:27

I'd rather be on the safe side.  I noticed a few triggers marked AR10 so I will look for one of those rather than take a chance

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 16:56
I was mistaken on the spring and buffer.  I was thinking I bought a AR-15 one, but mine is the JP AR-10 model.  I jsut used ar AR-15 rifle tube. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 07:49

Gotcha   Its  a bit cluttered with information out there on what is and isn't compatible..... Got to decide on a handguard now...... so many options

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 10:46
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Putting together an aero precision M5 set (https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/178864/).  Wanting to make sure I am on the right train of thought. 

I purchased a LPK for the M5 from aero minus the fire control and pistol grip.   I have a barrel already from a buddy who bought a Ballistics Advantage 308 barrel then switched to creedmoor before firing the first shot.

On the rest of the build...... my impression/knowledge is that the only 308 specific parts I'll need to finish will be -

• Buffer
  • Buffer spring
  • BCG
  • Charging handle
  • Ejection port cover

The other parts can be from the AR15 platform/size

• pistol grip
  • handguard
  • fire control/trigger
  • handguard
  • buffer tube
  • stock
  • gas block
  • gas tube

Anything I got screwy here? 

Handguard needs to be for AR-10, there are also different variants for height etc. so be careful there.

Better to go ahead and get an AR-10 trigger. If you get Timney be sure to get anti walk pins they are notorious for the standard pins falling out after use. 

Aero sells a Carbine Buffer Tube & Spring Kit for the M5.
https://aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-308-carbine-buffer-kit.html

One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 10:52
You can build the whole thing virtually and look at available/compatible options on Gunstruction. They also have an app. It is very useful for this type of stuff. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 11:19
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

If you get Timney be sure to get anti walk pins they are notorious for the standard pins falling out after use.

I think this is an issue of people not tightening down the tension screws in the trigger housing and using the set screws.  I ran two Timneys for years, still have one of them.  I took the one I still have through several carbine classes and lots and lots of rounds and I have never had a pin come loose.  They also come with a second set screw you tighten ontop of the tension screw so they cannot back out.  I dare bet most of the problems on the net are people not following the instructions.  I put a dab of blue locktite on my set screws and its never been an issue.

Timney instruction video
https://www.timneytriggers.com/videogallery/ar/how-to-install-a-timney-trigger-in-your-ar-rifle-28/

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 11:24
Think I'm going to try a UBR on this one.  Should just have to have a carbine buffer and spring for the 308AR
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 11:26
most of the parts are on order now.  hand guard and trigger are the only not decided yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 11:41
Carbon fiber fore is a good way to shed some weight out front, especially if it will be suppressed.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 12:28

It will be suppressed.  looking at gas blocks and options to help with gas as well.  Thinking the seekins adjustable will be ok. 

Only concern I have with the CF is the durability using a bipod

RC,  what CF one do you recommend?  Not seeing one designated for 308AR

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/23/2018 at 12:37
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 13:13
The 12" Aero one is only 9.3 oz's.  Lancer carbon fibers weight more than that. 

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 13:28
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

If you get Timney be sure to get anti walk pins they are notorious for the standard pins falling out after use.

I think this is an issue of people not tightening down the tension screws in the trigger housing and using the set screws.  I ran two Timneys for years, still have one of them.  I took the one I still have through several carbine classes and lots and lots of rounds and I have never had a pin come loose.  They also come with a second set screw you tighten ontop of the tension screw so they cannot back out.  I dare bet most of the problems on the net are people not following the instructions.  I put a dab of blue locktite on my set screws and its never been an issue.

Timney instruction video
https://www.timneytriggers.com/videogallery/ar/how-to-install-a-timney-trigger-in-your-ar-rifle-28/
I have tightened them down for customers myself and had them come back many of times with no pins. I have also had people that never have any issues with them. May very well be user error after it left the shop, but those pins are pretty cheap and worth the peace of mind to me.

I actually prefer the standard style aftermarket triggers like Geissele to the drop in but I have some CMCs and have had Timney before. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 13:33
CF2, you tried Elftmann yet?  I am really liking the one I bought. 

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 13:44

I have played with and dry fired them, they feel nice. I have zero range time with them though. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 14:02
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

It will be suppressed.  looking at gas blocks and options to help with gas as well.  Thinking the seekins adjustable will be ok. 

Only concern I have with the CF is the durability using a bipod

RC,  what CF one do you recommend?  Not seeing one designated for 308AR

My only experience with a 308 carbon fiber is with a Lancer on a Sig716, but the longer rail weights about as much as the much shorter aluminum rail, and I like that.  I haven't looked for AR10 fore ends, but I would, were I building a new one.

On gas blocks, yes, get an adjustable.  AR10s are notoriously overgassed.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/23/2018 at 15:30
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 15:08
If you do not need too many rails, consider Brigand handguard.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 15:26

+1

I just recently got the Elftmann 3-Gun curved version for my new ultralight Grendel build, and it’s a really nice trigger! I set mine for 2.5 lbs.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic