OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 AR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2018 at 13:54
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Did they say how long they need to be?
I haven't done an Aero, but on the ones I have done I had to trim the spring a bit or the tension was ungodly tight. If these are the same then it doesn't really matter how long the screw is. 
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2018 at 14:05
length doesn't matter but I got the shortest ones to keep spring as long as possible
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 16:23

Put the UBR on the receiver last night.  Think its going to work ok. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 16:34
I have a UBR and mostly like it.  I am not a huge fan of the screw-in on the end, it always seems I have to over-tighten mine to make it all stay snugged up.

Otherwise, great stock, not light, but very solid.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 21:27
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Wow, that is retarded.  Did they say where we get one?

Just go to a Fastenal. You can pick up a handful of set screws for pennies.

Another place you can find small set screws is any hobby store that sells RC models (Planes, cars, boats, helicopters, drones, etc.). 4-40 is a common size for that hobby.

However, technically you don't need the set screw. The end plate keeps the spring and detent contained just fine once you tighten the castle nut, and most ARs don't have a set screw.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 21:34
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

.... they don't include the 4-40 set screw for the spring and detent for the safety selector..... WTH? 

They use a set screw there? Why? So you can remove the grip without the spring and detent coming out? Do you plan to remove the grip often? Every AR I've ever played with didn't have a set screw there; only a counterbore on the top of the grip and the grip itself contained the spring and detent.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 21:36
My seekins lower has a set screw. I like it a lot and will want one for this lower. Granps had some small set screws, if my lower ever gets here i will try them
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 21:43
What's the advantage of having set screws? So you can adjust spring tension? So you can remove the buffer tube and/or grip without the spring flying out? I've never used set screws for the takedown pin or safety selector and have never had any issues with function. I've never wanted more spring tension than what you get from the conventional spring length and containment method. Most AR lowers don't have set screws.
Ted

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 23:08
Yep, i hate the springs and detents falling out when i take things apart. Its just a preference for me
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2018 at 23:19
I am speaking for the rear takedown pin. Thats what seekins has and my mega as well. I have never seen one on the safety detent either. That would require cutting the spring very very short

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2018 at 08:40

.... they don't include the 4-40 set screw for the spring and detent for the safety selector..... WTH? 

Ted thought you meant for the Safety selector because of how that post was worded. Lol 

I believe what SVT meant was, "They don't include the 4-40 set screw for the takedown spring nor do they include the detent for the safety selector."
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2018 at 08:52
You're correct, CF. That's exactly how I interpreted his post. I was thinking that was really weird, as it would then require a much shorter selector spring, and couldn't figure out what the benefit to that would be to justify having to use a non-standard length spring.

I can sort of see the benefit to having a set screw behind the takedown pin spring, though I'm not in the habit of ever removing the buffer tube once installed, and the end plate contains the spring just fine.
Ted

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2018 at 09:59
yeah bad wording -   the rear take down pin is the one that is tapped for the set screw and is located under the grip beside the safety selector  hole. not on the rear of the receiver like most.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2018 at 10:01
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I have a UBR and mostly like it.  I am not a huge fan of the screw-in on the end, it always seems I have to over-tighten mine to make it all stay snugged up.

Otherwise, great stock, not light, but very solid.

I use just a touch of Loctite on that screw and have never had it move in use.  It was a pain to remove and reinstall on this receiver though.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2018 at 10:10

yeah bad wording -   the rear take down pin is the one that is tapped for the set screw and is located under the grip beside the safety selector  hole. not on the rear of the receiver like most.

Ah, I see. If it's not located on the rear of the lower receiver where it's contained by the end plate, it would then REQUIRE a set screw.
Ted

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2018 at 11:08
yeah its directy beside the safety selector hole under the grip.   I've had other receivers that are on the rear with a set screw as well.   I like the set screw
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2018 at 22:57
all myparts arrived today  just assembled it  8.2 lbs with my ACOG  not to bad for a large frame

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2018 at 11:17
Very nice!!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 08:21

Got all my parts in but an adjustable gas block...... how I missed that I don't know. Used a standard but with the suppressor she blows back grim everywhere. 

ST did you get the 4-40 set screws?

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 08:30
They are dirty, will be with the adjustable too, just not as much.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic