OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illumnated scope for hunting,wanting input

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illumnated scope for hunting,wanting input
    Posted: March/02/2018 at 01:47
I am 58 years old and have been deer hunting for about 48 of those years.
My vision has gotten to the point that I am needing to go with an Illuminated reticle.

I like the 3-9  Leupold VX1 and can easily see a deer in the fields past legal hunting times(30 minutes before and 30 minutes after sunset)but having some difficulty seeing the reticle.

So  am needing a scope with a reticle I can see easily,That has 3.5 to 4 inches of eye relief.

I am not a turret twister just set it and forget it as I use a 6.8 ARP with 18 inch barrel and will not take any shots over 250 yards MAX.

Prefer a duplex with an illuminated dot, not really wanting the whole reticle lit.

I am satisfied with the optical quality of the Leupold VX1 so as long as the optical quality is equal to that scope I will be fine with it.

Prefer a 1 inch tube

Wanting a scope under $300.00

Appreciate some input from those who have used them.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2018 at 03:19

You ask for much for not much...

Below is 30mm (on the Samplelist), not 1", but the German #4 reticle, illuminated makes it a very good option.  Meets all your other requirements.  It has a low failure rate.  Glass quality is good.  The illuminated center cross is very useful in low light.  I do not have one, but was with a rifle I set up and zeroed for a friend.  He still hunts with it on a Win Model 70 in .270. 

Weaver 2.5-10x56 Classic Extreme Rifle Scope DEMO-B

800705, Matte, Illum German #4, 30mm

Stock# SPL23270 UPC SPL23270                    

Only 2 left

$299.95

https://samplelist.com/weaver-2-5-10x56-classic-extreme-rifle-scope-demo-b.html

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/02/2018 at 14:08
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2018 at 12:37
That Weaver has to be a good low light scope for the money. It's big enough to carry the gun by too.

Doug
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2018 at 13:20
You are going to be hard pressed to find something better for under $300, that is for sure. 
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2018 at 14:18

The only thing I know of under $300 I would recommend is that one.... if you can spend more -

https://swfa.com/trijicon-3-9x40-accupower-rifle-scope.html - Red

or

https://swfa.com/trijicon-3-9x40-accupower-rifle-scope-11.html - Green

SWFA has good search engine now on their page, you can choose illuminated, price, turret style. etc and even narrow it down by availability.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 08:58

I have read some conflicting information on those Classic Extreme's. But I had an early version of the 2.5-10x50 #4 illuminted  and it was a great scope. It was heavy but extremely good in low light hunting situations.

If you can find a used Bushnell 4200 firefly, I have had two of those(2.5-10x40) and they are great(still have one). You can also lightly illuminate that reticle with just a quick flash of a flashlight.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 09:24
Get a Leupold VX-R.  It is over your budget and it has a 30mm tube, but you will not regret it.  It will be a nice upgrade optically over your VX-1 and the fire dot illumination is excellent.  They are very nice. 

https://swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html?brand_model=VX-R

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 11:24
VX-R 2-7....much smaller and nicer to use.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 11:29
The VX-R is a nice scope, but it is quite a bit over his stated budget. 
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 11:54
The only 1" tube illuminated scope in this price range that I am sorta comfortable recommending is Sig Whiskey 3 with a duplex reticle and illuminated dot/  Both 3-9x40 and 3-9x50 versions are available and the 3-9x40 clocks in right around $300:

Check with SWFA when they are gong to receive more as it looks like it is out of stock now.

ILya
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2018 at 09:02
DLO,
How is the Sig Whiskey's illumination, in comparison to the VX-R? VX-R is excellent, but out of his price range, as noted previously.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2018 at 09:38
I think VX-R has better illumination overall, but for low light both seem to work well enough

ILya
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2018 at 10:14
Just received a VXR scout scope and looking down the garden in the dark it looks good!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic