OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$700 range.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $700 range.
    Posted: March/21/2018 at 15:18

What brand/models should I be looking for in this price point.  Let's assume their warranty, durability tracking etc is all on par.

Here is my wants as far as features.

#1 Glass clarity

#2 Custom Dial system or the ability to add a custom turret using ballistic information

#3 Eye box, eye relief etc

I only need something in the 2-10 or 3-10, 4-12 for magnification.  I don't need illumination, exposed turrets or any of that fancy garbage.  This will be going on a hunting rifle and I don't want anything getting bumped out of place.  If the turrets have a zero stop then that's fine.  I will only be shooting out to 600yards.

I looked through a Leupold VX-5HD with their CDS ZL2 system today and I really liked this scope for $650.  I saw I could get a VX-5HD without the ZL2 system for around $580.

I currently have a VX3i and its a decent scope for the price point, however the detail, color and crispness of the vx5-hd was much better.  Plus the eye box was much easier to get behind.

I have found from my experience Vortex glass to be a little worse...  I was thinking of looking at a Vortex Razor but figured it wouldn't give me the glass quality I want.

I bought some Swaro binos recently and it has changed my view on what good glass is.  :(

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2018 at 15:30
Wow that is a heck of a price for a VX5-HD with ZL2.  For $650 I woudl jump all over that.

I have a VX5 and VX6 with ZL turrets and I like them a lot.  Glass is very good and my two track consistently. 

I am a fan of good glass as well.  Just remember a scope will never have as good a view of your bino's because you are only using 1 eye.  But that doesn't mean a guy can't shoot for that.  Big Grin
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2018 at 15:32
VX-5HD is a very good option, as is Vortex Razor HD LH with Kenton knob (if you are a turret spinner).

In terms of optical quality, Razor HD LH is as good as or better than anything under $1k.  I had it side by side with Leupold VX-6HD for quite some time (3-15x42 Razor and 3-18x44 VX-6HD) and while the Leupold is a much more full featured scope, in terms of basic optomechancial quality, they are exceedingly close.  Resolution is similar.  Contrast is a touch better on the Razor.  FOV is a bit better on the Leupold, I think.  Both are exceedingly easy to get behind.

ILya
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 08:51
Originally posted by alaska_guy alaska_guy wrote:

What brand/models should I be looking for in this price point.  Let's assume their warranty, durability tracking etc is all on par.

Here is my wants as far as features.

#1 Glass clarity

#2 Custom Dial system or the ability to add a custom turret using ballistic information

#3 Eye box, eye relief etc

I only need something in the 2-10 or 3-10, 4-12 for magnification.  I don't need illumination, exposed turrets or any of that fancy garbage.  This will be going on a hunting rifle and I don't want anything getting bumped out of place.  If the turrets have a zero stop then that's fine.  I will only be shooting out to 600yards.

I looked through a Leupold VX-5HD with their CDS ZL2 system today and I really liked this scope for $650.  I saw I could get a VX-5HD without the ZL2 system for around $580.

I currently have a VX3i and its a decent scope for the price point, however the detail, color and crispness of the vx5-hd was much better.  Plus the eye box was much easier to get behind.

I have found from my experience Vortex glass to be a little worse...  I was thinking of looking at a Vortex Razor but figured it wouldn't give me the glass quality I want.

I bought some Swaro binos recently and it has changed my view on what good glass is.  :(

The VX-5HD CDS-ZL2 for $650 is a very good deal and the scope itself is an all around good scope for what you are wanting to do. Where are you seeing that you can get these for those prices?

Edited by Chris Farris II - March/22/2018 at 14:20
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
alaska_guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 14:03

I have a feeling if I give up my source it will be sold out when I go to purchase one.  Let me think on it over the weekend first and then if I decide not to purchase it I will give up my source.  :)

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 15:06
I also found an Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 Vplex reticle with 30mm tube for $379.  Normally $539.  I'm personally not really a fan of the Viper line, but for the sub $400 price point I think its priced around what it's worth.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 15:11

I also found an Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 Vplex reticle with 30mm tube for $379.  Normally $539.  I'm personally not really a fan of the Viper line, but for the sub $400 price point I think its priced around what it's worth.
Yeah, that one is discontinued. We closed them out at $349.95. The Leupold is not though.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 15:24
Do you still have them for $349.95?  My brother in law is trying to buy one for a decent price for his .308 build as his budget is around $300.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 15:28

Do you still have them for $349.95?  My brother in law is trying to buy one for a decent price for his .308 build as his budget is around $300.
We have been sold out of those for quite some time. They have been discontinued for a few years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic