OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > The Roy D. Finn Memorial Knife Forum > Custom Knives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

knife sharpener

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: knife sharpener
    Posted: February/14/2019 at 19:01
I got a WorkSharp 15-30.  I've sharpened a number of knives with it and it is very impressive.  Sharpened a couple of Damascus blades... very nice edges.  So far, it is a good buy.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2019 at 07:34
Looks like a nice outfit.  I have been looking around for a good sharpener.  Must be getting lazy in my old age but hand sharpening is getting a bit tiresome, especially the S110V on my Spyderco.  Will have to check the prices up here on the Worksharp.

God save the Empire!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2019 at 11:43
I have the Ken Onion version of that sharpener.  I can get some knives crazy sharp with it and others I just can't get to work.  The short smaller blades I just cannot get sharp.  Kitchen knives and larger knives it works great for me.  My wife at first scolded me cause I got her knives to sharp, now when they get dull starts saying when you going to get your sharpener out again.  Smile

For my smaller knives I really like the DMT diamond kits.  I have two like this, and I can get my s110v and s90v knives hair popping sharp in just a few minutes.  https://www.amazon.com/DMT-MAGKIT-4-Diafold-Magna-Guide-Case/dp/B00HZ3SCEQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3HGRVU1703M6C&keywords=dmt+knife+sharpening+kit&qid=1550252502&s=gateway&sprefix=DMT+knife+shar%2Caps%2C363&sr=8-5

Edited by supertool73 - February/15/2019 at 11:48
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2019 at 11:47
I use an 8" Eze-Lap fine diamond stone on a wooden base for sharpening.

This works fine on everything up to and including Rockwell 60 to 62 blades.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2019 at 12:47
Mine is the "Ken Onion" version, as well.  
There is a little issue with keeping the blade at the proper angle with shorter blades, but once I overcame that, it has been a breeze.  Sometimes I still hit a blade a few times with a stone...just to keep my "hand in", but don't really need it.  If the power grid fails, I can still sharpen a blade, though with more difficulty without the Work Sharp "Ken Onion".  
I've used it for a while before making any statements about it.  I have zero complaints.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2019 at 13:03
I use the Wicked Edge knife sharpener.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2019 at 13:46
The Wicked edge looks wicked indeed.  But the price, dang.  My buddy has one and it is sweet. 

I probably just need more practice with the work sharp.  I have a Gerber strong arm and the edge it puts on that big thick blade is amazing. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2019 at 14:30
I have an edge pro apex that works for almost anything, that is the go to when I need a really good edge.

I also have a worksharp, which works well but isn't nearly as adjustable. And, if you use it often and drag it slowly, it can start to grind away blade quickly. The other issue with the worksharp is that it rounds any edge geometry like tanto points.

For simple blades and straight lines, it does a great job.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2019 at 20:35
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-C101.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpPqWte_a4AIV0R6tBh3JkQisEAAYASAAEgJo_fD_BwE

Tormek makes some nice stuff I would really like to have their leather hone wheel I have some of their abrasive paste that I use with a piece of leather mounted to a wood block it works very well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2019 at 09:36
Wow Wes, those be some serious knife making and sharpening tools. They got some serious prices too.
Guess I can forget my knife sharpening Idea. They already made it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2019 at 22:41
I have a Roselli  hardened to 63   at some point I will have a challenge sharpening that one so far I've cut up a steer three deer and one sheep and it still shaves with just touch ups on the on stroping belt.  it's good to know that there are tools out there that could sharpen such blades.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2019 at 23:41
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

I have a Roselli  hardened to 63   at some point I will have a challenge sharpening that one so far I've cut up a steer three deer and one sheep and it still shaves with just touch ups on the on stroping belt.  it's good to know that there are tools out there that could sharpen such blades.

Roselly UHC is pretty easy to sharpen.  Despite being very hard, it is not viscous, so sharpening it is very straightforward.

I use the Ken Onion Worksharp for a lot of stuff.  Kitchen knives I sharpen by hand using some fairly fancy Japanese waterstones.  I have a fine ceramic hone that can be used instead of a steel on fine edge knives (regular ktichen steels do far more harm than good for aggressive edges), so I do not need to do serious re-sharpening all that much.

For field use, I have a few small DMT diamond hones with angle guides that pack very small.

For serrated edges, I use Spyderco Sharpmaker.

ILya
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2019 at 09:07
I have found with the right sharpener setup even the supposed hard to sharpen knives sharpen pretty easy.  Might take a few more strokes down the hone is all. 

Kendaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2019 at 22:32
I am using KEN ONION EDITION KNIFE & TOOL SHARPENER since what I like with this tool is, it has a fully adjustable precision sharpening guide, variable speed motor and wide and flexible abrasive belts. It's like its made just for me.
My top favorite knife sharpener list is here https://totalguide.org/best-knife-sharpener/ and SunrisePro Supreme Knife Sharpener is my choice.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2021 at 12:00
I just looked at the Work Sharp video. I think even I could actually manage to operate one of those without destroying Central Texas. 
Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2021 at 15:44
I just send my Benchmade’s back for free sharpening!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic