OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 Flashlight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 Flashlight
    Posted: April/13/2019 at 15:46
I am not sure if this is the right forum, but we do not have a flashlight forum, so...

I am planning to go take a night class with my AR-15 carbine, so I need to mount a flashlight onto it.  The handguard (apparently known as the nadguard in the UK) has a picatiiny rail on top and m-lok at 3 o'clock position.  There are also m-lok slots at 9 o'clock, but this is a FoldAR, so I can't mount anything big on there.

I would like a flashlight that has a pressure switch since I do not see a convenient way to pulse it on using a tailcap when it is mounted on the right side of the handguard.

I would much prefer to not spend some ridiculous amount of money on Surefire X400.

Any ideas?

ILya

Edited by koshkin - April/13/2019 at 16:21
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2019 at 16:07
PAH! Ilya, you made me spit tea over my key board!

"Nadguard"! Nads are slang in the UK for testicles (Contraction of gonads)!

I realise you mean handguard but still sounded funny.

Presumably you nadguard protects your Tac-Sac? In which case seems a vital piece of equipment...

Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2019 at 16:22
Fixed it for you  Big Grin
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2019 at 20:07
Anyone has experience with this one:  https://www.swfa.com/inforce-wmlx-rifle-carbine-gen-2-light.html

ILya
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2019 at 02:33
Does SWFA sell nadguards? I'm scared to click the link!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2019 at 09:39
ILya, I use the NightEyes gun light and it stomps my Surefire 9p. He has one that has 3colors including white. 
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2019 at 14:50
I'm at home and don't have access to my work e-mails, but we're researching patrol rifles at work right now. KSP is issuing new patrol rifles to all it's Troopers, and they have a list of recommended lights, and optics (dot sights) for the troopers. When I can, I'll forward the information to you.   
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2019 at 15:04
Thank you.

I really like the idea of ambidextrous operation without need for cables, hence the interest in the Inforce WML.

Ilya

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 08:25
I have a few Streamlights, they aren't as sturdy as Surefire, but they are good lights. And are far less expensive that Surefire.
I would not take one to war as my primary weapon light, but I would take it most other places.

And they have a version that strobes, which is a good feature.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 09:14
I don't know if Fenix has a dedicated mount type light, but they do have flashlights with push button end caps and pressure pads you can add.

But on the Fenix quality.  I have been carrying a PD25 in my pocket now for going on 5 years.  I use it multiple times per day.  I can't count how many times I have dropped it.  One time was from high up on a 10 ft ladder.  It has been washed 5 or 6 times after I forgot to take it off my pants.  It just keeps working and has just been a great flashlight.

I have several others of them, another PD25 my wife carries, then a PD35, 4 of the LD22s we keep in the vehicles, and two of the LD12s that my boys have claimed and use all the time. 

I have had several Streamlights, and every one of them has failed within a year.  With not really that much use.  I was very disappointed in them.    I have had one Surefire, just one of their cheaper ones and I lost it, but it always worked, but that was years ago before LED, so it sucked batteries like crazy. 

Fenix in my opinion is a great light and a great value.  They have so many options and lights for different uses and with different settings.  They seem almost indestructible to me. 

A lot of their lights use their rechargeable batteries or regular batteries.  I bought 4 of the 16340 rechargeable for my PD25 and have charged them tons of times and 5 years later, they still are ticking.  The big 18650 batteries for the PD35 will run forever at the lower settings. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 10:58
The recommended (not mandated) lights are Streamlight ProTac rail type 2 mount. They have 650 lumen.
The red dot sights are Aimpoint Pro
I'm not smart enough to go to a link.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 16:30

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/03/2021 at 23:13

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 17:01
On the streamlight, I should say that I use just one model, I'll get the model #.

I have not had failures.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 19:36
I use the ProTac Rail Mount lights... 1000 lumen
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 09:36
On the Crimson Trace light/laser combo, don't bother. I put that very setup on a rifle and really don't care for it. Operating buttons are a bit hard to press, and the light button is way too small and hard to find and press. I also loose a lot of light because the barrel and hand guard block it. The laser setup is OK but not great, but the light setup just falls far short of what it needs to be.
ILya, for you, a light with a button on the back that you could activate with your thumb would probably be ideal. You don't have to find a place to mount the pressure switch and run the wire to the light that isn't in the way or hanging loose.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 10:02
One of my concerns is that I practice shooting right handed an delft handed.  Ambidextrous operation could be valuable and I am not sure how to set that up with a tailcap.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 10:08
the obvious would be two lights.  if small enough, that seems doable.
take em!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 10:18
Your Inforce might be doable with either hand, but you may need to mount it as far forward on the hand guard as you can.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 10:24
ILya, I forwarded an e-mail to you.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 11:53
do you use a forward grip? a pressure switch on that seems like it would be ambidextrious with light at 9 o'clock
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic