OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts?
    Posted: April/14/2019 at 20:00
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 00:09
Great video. that 2200 fps number really points out that handguns are just handguns.  

I got accuracy, reliablity, and bullet performance are what matters. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 06:23
The available data on actual engagements with the various pistol calibers bears this out. Pistol caliber (provided we’re talking about the common self defense cartridges) doesn’t matter. There is no statistical difference in real world effectiveness between them. It’s bullet design and the ability to place those bullets in the right spot that matters. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 06:52
Interesting to say the least! Real info without all the marketing hype!!!!  Thunbs Up
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 08:59
I agree, assuming the bullet meets certain minimum performance characteristics.

There is a reason most people don't carry 22LR or 380ACP, so there are definitely boundary conditions.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2019 at 10:05
You can really see this evidenced during hunting.  I have shot a yote with both a 9mm and a .45 auto.  Both just punched little holes, same with Badgers.  I have shot yotes with 223, 243, 6.5 creed, 308, 300 savage and they leave huge wound channels and massive softball and bigger sized exit wounds.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 01:48
I can only add "But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, "

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 08:45
I am not a physicist, and I don't design bullets. I have noted many times that, for handguns, there are 2 schools: large bullet moving slower, and small bullet moving faster. As this is a discussion of handgun performance, with a clear understanding that neither will get to the number where the real damage happens; I have always sided with the "big bullet moving slower" crowd, for one simple reason. Kinetic energy (1/2m(v*v)) is comprised of mass and velocity, and since you square the velocity, small changes in V quickly make big changes in KE. Bigger bullets slow down faster (if designed for that) thus leading to a lesser risk of overpenetration - meaning some of that KE exiting the target and moving on to a world of other unintended targets.
I was a 45 guy for many years, and still lean that way when I really want and need to start and finish something quickly.
But, as said at the end, it is more about confidence than about absolute supremacy in performance of a caliber.

But none of that applies to my 454 Casull, with a 2.5 inch barrel, that thing could scare you to death even if the bullet missed entirely. All rules stop applying at the 454.

Or something.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 08:51
Ummmm, Jeff your starting to sound like Dan..... Smile
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 09:25
Scary, right?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 09:42
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

But none of that applies to my 454 Casull, with a 2.5 inch barrel, that thing could scare you to death even if the bullet missed entirely. All rules stop applying at the 454.

Or my S&W PC 500. The muzzle flash is bigger than a basketball. And it even gets the attention of two deaf guys shooting 5 and 6 lanes away at the outdoor range.Big Grin

Winchester 500 SW MAG 400 Grain Platinum Tip Hollow Point.

Velocity rated at 1675 FPS

Energy Rate at 2491 Foot Pounds

Even my indoor range ammo is rated at 1350ft-lbs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 11:00
The first time I shot at an indoor range, I was shooting with a friend. I told him not to watch me, but watch everyone else. This was a 8 or 10-lane indoor range, all steel and concrete.

I lit off one round and everyone in the room either looked around the wall or stepped back off the line to see what just happened.

I bought it for backpacking in bear country. After shooting it a few times, I now wonder if getting bitten by a bear might be preferable to the PTSD that damned thing induces. Chicks dig scars, right?

Now back to the conversation at hand...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2019 at 13:01
Not if the scare has your wife's initials...  Shocked
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2019 at 18:41

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2019 at 21:38
this is really interesting in the sense of the Bear comment...  I really thought I needed to carry a 44 Mag....  maybe shooting my .357 more accurately would be better.
take em!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2019 at 21:54
If you are open to a new handgun, I would look at a S&W 500. I find I shoot it more accurately than either my 44 or my 357. It is also easier on me as well.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2019 at 22:01
Nothing wrong with a .357 mag... Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2019 at 06:11
Come on Mikey!!!  your Amercian dude, the correct answer is 'bigger is better'!!! Roll Eyes
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2019 at 11:06
Dang, this argument has been going on as long as I can remember, and no one has been right.
Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. Everything else is a gamble.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2019 at 11:19
Shot placement...yeah, but it helps if your "shot" overlaps multiple critical organs simultaneously..... Hippie
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic