OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Outdoors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedStay Clear of Snipers Hide!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stay Clear of Snipers Hide!!!!
    Posted: May/10/2019 at 17:16
Hi! This is my first post...………………… on this site...……. Waiting...….. I'm just waiting to be slammed, smacked, belittles, and told I have no Idea what I'm talking about...… Just insulted and belittled by the Snipers hide owner...… LowLight (want his name???) Really??? Over how I mount a scope???????? I spent two days defending my position on how to properly mount a precision scope as if I am a complete moron. It is what it is... this is science... mechanics... Not rocket science... But it doesn't matter because Frank has his own site???????? So he can treat people with such dis-respect to make him feel better about himself... Was completely bullied and made a fool of and I had just joined yesterday. I'm not the only one either..... Other people shared their photos of scope mounting their rigs and he completely mocked and belittled them as well.... When will our country grow up and become adults.,...……….. Respect others and admire their courage for sharing on-line. We are all part of the same shooting community and should rejoice when someone steps forward to share their own personal techniques and passions. Maybe we can learn something from eachother and make a friend in the process..... His site should be shut down!!!!!!

I hope I have better luck here...…….
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 09:00
Frank is a pube.   I have buddies who know him and they agree.  
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 09:29
You know what they say about opinions. Just move on and forget it. BTW, welcome to OT!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 10:02
So show us a pick of how you mounted your scope. :)
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 10:12
Welcome to OT, Azpaleo!

I hope you enjoy your time here. We certainly try not to intentionally insult or belittle anyone (unless someone has earned it), but there have always been some occasions on all internet forums where one takes offense to simple disagreement on a topic and calls it an insult. We of course have no control over that.

Unfortunately, your first post here raises some red flags.

First, you use your first post to warn others to stay away from another site, in the post title no less. We have "no dog in the fight" here, and totally lack any context of the discussion(s) you reference. 

Second, you seem to already be on the defensive before ever engaging anyone here in any discussion by stating that you're just "waiting to be slammed, smacked, belittled" here as well. Could your problem on SH be that you've got a chip on your shoulder and are unable to accept constructive criticism without getting defensive? I don't know and I'm not saying that's the case as it relates to whatever occurred on SH. Again, we totally lack any context and are being asked to take sides without having any facts with which to form opinions, but the fact you introduced yourself with a pessimistic outlook right out of the gate here, before having a single interaction with anyone, doesn't help your case any.

Third, you used your first post to openly slam Frank and opened the door for others to potentially follow suit. Again, we "have no dog in this fight" and have no way of knowing if your criticism of him is valid or not. For argument's sake, even if your criticism is valid, I'm not a fan of calling someone out like that in a setting where the party being called out is unable to defend himself. I think that's a Bush League move personally. In the grand scheme of things, nothing said on any internet forum, using anonymous user names is really all that important or life-altering. It's just the internet, and this is just entertainment, a way to pass the time in lieu of going to see a movie. Lighten up.

This is by and large a pretty civil place. It is a lot more civil than many other sites covering the same or similar topics. That's neither good nor bad; it's a choice our sponsor has made and is therefore a goal we try to maintain. We have run a lot of people off who we felt were excessively combative and couldn't seem to get along. On the downside, this fact has also kept our membership numbers lower than other sites because lets face it, confrontation draws attention and promotes higher participation. I can totally understand those who say our style of moderation here is too heavy-handed, and they feel more at home on sites that allow more bickering and "flame wars." Again, this is neither good nor bad, it's all a business decision on how the owner of each site wants their site to be run. Keep in mind one thing though: nobody is entitled to anything on any private internet site. You aren't entitled to say whatever you want without being challenged and you aren't entitled to being treated in any certain way. Therefore, it's best to be a grown-up and have thick skin or you're probably going to get your feelings hurt eventually.

All that said, I do sincerely hope you enjoy your time on OT. My advice to you though: lose the defensiveness and you will enjoy it more. Honestly, nobody here cares about your experience on Sniper's Hide and we won't be taking sides with or against you armed with no information beyond your side of the story. In my opinion, your post does not present a very good first impression of you, even if you're technically 100% correct in your assessment. I believe it says more about you than the object of your criticism quite frankly (no pun intended). Why not just join, post in good faith, and reserve judgment by letting the interaction you receive here speak for itself rather than go on the defensive immediately? Each individual can draw their own conclusions about other sites and there will always be plenty of people who disagree with your opinion of Sniper's Hide or anything else for that matter. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 11:32
Frank is exceedingly knowledgeable and favors directness over diplomacy. As a fellow Marine, I understand that completely and can definitely hold my own when circumstances call for action on the 2-way range. That said, I have mellowed with age and learned, from the professional world, that diplomacy - even if insincere - can be very useful at times.
I looked up your post on SH and saw the setup. In truth, Frank's statements are true: if you aren't shooting your rifle from the vice, then setting everything up in the vice makes little difference if you cant the rifle in your shoulder - he didn't say it that nicely, but that's what he is saying. Additionally, most "precision" ARs are 1-2MOA guns when you play your part, and most aren't set up or used for long range shooting - so a few degrees of cant, introduced by shooter or mount - won't matter that much at useable ranges. Moreover, a range card negates the whole conversation.

For absolute clarity: I am not belittling your setup or efforts, just pointing out that one can take monumental precautions in setup, then negate it all in use.

To answer your original question, if the scope doesn't slide smoothly in the rings, there might be an issue and there might not. Some will say lap the rings to get rid of the bind, I am not one of those people. Usually binding indicates a mis-alignment of rings or an issue with scope tube. Torqueing the scope in rings that are not aligned can bend the tube, which can be far more expensive than addressing the issue initially.

Lastly:
Respect is earned.
All ideas and thoughts do not have value, especially not equal value.
Flaws in logic are aptly named.
Thicker skin on the internet is a good thing.

Welcome to Optics Talk, we are happy to help if we can. Post a pic or 2 here and we will assist if possible. But be aware that most will tell you how it is, just probably with a bit more tact and diplomacy than SH.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 12:26
You need 50 posts before you can post pics, send one of us a PM and we’ll help posting it for you.  👍
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 15:16
C'mon man, you sound like a millennial.   Be tough enough to take the fire.  IF you cannot, don't engage.  We've always got your back here, but only if you are RIGHT.  
Lowlight is 1) loaded with experience, 2) loaded with knowledge, 3)totally unafraid to engage, 4) ALMOST ALWAYS right.  The guy is a legend, rightfully.  He is sometimes overbearing... everybody has a bad day/moment.  
SUCK IT UP and get over it.  Go back, explain again your inexperience and desire to learn... he will step up. Sometimes, he challenges just to see how people will react.  Choose wisely... he will not be defeated by a novice on facts, operations, utility...
Don't take it personally... he doesn't.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 17:32
Frank is a pretty direct guy, but I've known him for many years and he is not known for bulsh*tting.  Probably one of the reasons we get along.  We do not always agree, but I always know why he does things the way he does, and I am always respectful of his opinions.  He did not pull them out of thin air and he is good at what he does.

Do you have a link to the discussion that got you all riled up?

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 17:46
I found the SH thread.  Azpaleo, you have a very short fuse if that set you off so much.

I do much worse than that to people there (and occasionally here) when it comes to optics and we manage to resolve our differences without anyone getting his panties in a wad.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 18:00
Now taking over/under bets on how long before a new thread appears on ARFCOM titled "Stay Clear of Optics Talk!!!!"

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
azpaleo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 22:47
Honesty, I should probably just stay off the forums, which is fine. I just wondered why all my high end scopes are sticky in high end precision matched ring bottoms during install while trying to level them (before the tops are added) on high end bases on high end rifles.. Every single one (after the ring bottom cross-bolts have been torqued of course. Probably just tight tolerances. They glide in 1-piece bases perfectly. I'll leave it at that as this is the wrong thread. And no, I'm not a millennial. Sorry to cause such an uproar.       
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 23:07
They stick because of slight misalignment due to the mating of the rings to the base.  Do not tighten the bottom halves to the base completely while you are aligning the scope. Tighten the scope tube before you finally tighten the rings to the base.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 23:09
sometimes with rings when you tighten down the bottom without the rings tops on them it actually can clamp the bottom half of the ring together just a bit. Seekins precision rings will do this and i am sure others will as well. Don’t tighten the base bolts to spec until you have the ring caps installed and tightened down. When i ran into this issue with my seekins rings, Glen himself told me that is a common issue and is the case with his rings. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2019 at 23:38
Forums can be good sources of information - as this thread has shown.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - May/12/2019 at 08:51
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2019 at 09:46
the more I hear about rings.........  the more I think mounting a scope should be left to professionals, 
but there aren't many of them around!!
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2019 at 18:36
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

the more I hear about rings.........  the more I think mounting a scope should be left to professionals, 
but there aren't many of them around!!

I couldn't disagree more if I tried.

It really isn't that difficult if you buy quality components.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 06:04
but I would consider you one of the experts..... I mean, how many have you mounted and then shot, dialed.... remounted..... shot.... dialed...... etc!
take em!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 13:05
The key to mounting a scope straight is to buy one of Frank's decks of all-ace-of-spades "Deaths Head" cards. Shim 'em up tight underneath the scope base. ;-)
Reaction time is a factor...
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2019 at 13:15
Yes sequence is the key to getting a good mount. That said however, it is also important to have the assurance that the rings are in as near perfect alignment as possible. This can be accomplished through the use of scope mounting kits that allow you to basically hone out the difference between the horizontal and vertical between the front and rear ring. I have seen even with higher end single base mounts there can be enough of a difference to cause some issues. Naturally the better (usually meaning more expensive) the rings are, the lesser the amount of work that can be expected.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic