OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mythbuster Best Grouping and accuracy ever!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mythbuster Best Grouping and accuracy ever!!
    Posted: May/20/2019 at 03:15
This weekend I busted many rules of how to achieve a tight grouping and level of accuracy:

Myth 1: You need to spend long hours on the range.
I have not touched a rifle since my last hunt in Aug 2018.

Myth 2: You need to do careful case preparation.
The cases used were not prepared at all. No OAL trimming, no neck turning, no weighing and sorting and no flash hole uniformity. Nothing. 

Myth 3: You need to deprime and seat bullets carefully using competition grade dies and a decent strong press.
I did the reloading with a Lee Kit. Lee dies, lee bullet seater and a wobbly Lee Press. After depriming I had to tug and pull hard to get the neck mandrill back out of the case. Little under lubed here and there. So those necks must have been pulled out of alignment right??

Myth 4: Only do 3/4 of the neck when resizing. Do not do full case resizing.
All case were fully resized for easy loading under hunting conditions.

Myth5: Carefully weigh the powder to the 10th degree of accuracy.
I did a fairly good job of weighing using a RCBS beam scale, but did not care for one or two kernels of powder more or less.

Myth6: Carefully seat each bullet using competition dies and check OAL and runout with a runout gauge. Also weigh each bullet and sort to tolerance. Check for amount of the lands etc etc.
I simply took the bullet out the box and seated them with a standard Lee bullet seater. No checking, no runout gauge test etc.

So here we have rounds loaded on the basic method. De-prime full length resize, prime, add powder and seat bullet. Done.

Now for the rifle rig and bullet myth busting:

Myth1: you need a heavy barreled, special action, bedded, hand lapped top of the range rifle and barrel combo.
I used a Sako L61R action with a locally made barrel. This barrel is a standard hunting profile 18mm at the muzzle. (5/8thinch?) This barrel is not lapped.

Myth2: You need a highly stable, heavy duty multi adjustable stock.
I used a locally made walnut hunting profile stock. The action is bedded. The stock has a narrow fore-end etc.

Myth3: You need a competition grade bullet.
I used 200gr Sierra Gameking .3 caliber.

Myth4: You need a high clarity, windage and elevation adjustable scope with high magnification. Also you require Side Focus. 
I used a Leupold VX3 -3,5to10x40 on Leupold QD scope mounts.

Now for the shooting myths:

Myth 1: You need to shoot 2 or 3 fouling rounds.
This group included the cold barrel shot. In other words this is the first 5 shots of the day.

Myth2: You need a crisp clean trigger set at 1lb or less.
OK, I got the crisp trigger. A timney trigger. But it is set for hunting at about 2.2 lbs.

Myth3: You need a sturdy rest and perfect position, grip etc.
I used a loose tripod stand and a sandbag at the rear. The sandbag was to small so I propped it higher.
I was shooting off a concrete bench. The shooting position was not the greatest.

All the info I gave is true and correct regarding my loading etc. I loaded some 300H&H rounds with Sierra Gameking and went to the range for practise. I have a hunt coming up in June. I just wanted rounds that could punch 1.5 MOA for hunting and made no effort for super accuracy.

AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED: A normal hunting rig. (This includes the cold bore shot.)

5 Rounds and only 3 bullet holes. 2 x 2 in the same holes.

And then I pushed one downrange at 330yds (300m) using Kentucky windage allowed approx 13 inches. Zero allowance for the wind which was very light. (5mph or less)

Edited by 8shots - May/20/2019 at 03:59
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 04:31
Wouter  I think you need to work on your game a little more!😂😂😂👍💥

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 04:47
Also busted is the myth of low recoil and follow through, maintaining a sight picture.
200gr bullet 66 gr S385 Light Rifle.
The recoil kicks you into a new blood group!!
5 Shots and I was gunshy!!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 06:29
Well done Wouter. Looking forward to a full report after tour hunt.
God save the Empire!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 09:48
Wouter, I love you man.

While I don't agree with everything you don't do, I do agree with most of what you do, do.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 09:52
I love it.   Lots of people want to make things much more complicated than they actually are.  
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2019 at 12:25
I employ very similar loading procedures. My usual results are not so 'similar'. (Occasionally I'll I'll go the extra mile for 'special production' runs."

Gotta' love the locally sourced  rifle components.

Edited by hatton mann - May/21/2019 at 12:55
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2019 at 12:47
The best five shot group I ever fired was with a Tikka M695 in 280Rem with a factory mid weight barreland it was about a third of an inch at 100 yards with a 3-9x42 SWFA SS.

It was the first group of the day and I fired it to confirm zero before proceeding to shoot at further distances.  I damn near hurt my shoulder slapping myself on the back.  

On the other hand, I am not 1/3 MOA shooter and while the rifle is very capable of it, it was definitely a fluke with me behind it.  

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2019 at 07:55
Great shooting and reporting, Wouter.........The Practical Sportsman comes to mind
Doug
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2019 at 10:09
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!! A very accurate rifle and a good day at the range doesn't void the need for the average shooter to apply due diligence in also having a good day at the range. Some rifles just shoot exceptionally well. I have put great effort in learning what makes a rifle exceptional. The combination of components and factors are pretty consistent. You were fortunate to get a barrel that air gauged above average for a consistent cut (contour and length are always secondary to that).The barrel to receiver assembly was very true and the bedding to the stock was on par. Most rifles with that combination will generally shoot just about anything you feed it very well. I tell most guys I true rifles for "when you can shoot this rifle to its potential you will be winning competitions." And so far that has been the case.

Your statement is true: "This weekend I busted many rules of how to achieve a tight grouping and level of accuracy:"
But, a lot rifles out there aren't capable of doing what yours did even with all the details to accomplish that kind of accuracy.
That was some really good grouping and definitely worth showing off. And I suspect you are being very modest concerning you shooting skills. You should consider shooting in one of the Guardian matches. You would have a great time and likely do very well in the ranking.

Salute!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2019 at 11:05
As others have said, good shooting.

But...

Rolling a die 3 times and it landing on 6 each time does not mean it will, if infinitely rolled, always land on 6.

I have had great days at the range and terrible days; I have had great days with an okay rifle and terrible days with an awesome rifle.

It is always a joyous thing to shoot well; however, 2 great targets (and, again, good shooting) is an N=2. I would venture that an N=20 would be a slightly different result. Or maybe not.

I enjoy golf, but am not good at it. In one game I played with my brother-in-law, wife's grandfather, and wife's uncle, on a par 5, I launched a 3-wood and put the ball on the front edge of the green, a chip to about 1 foot, and an easy birdie. And, again, I am not a good golfer. On that same day, I put up several double bogies and played many holes in my usual manner; however, were I to "N=1" that hole, I could hang on a pro tour. Maybe.

So, in summary:
1. Good shooting, great result.
2. The generalization that a great outcome can result from almost any set of inputs, is nowhere near the same as saying a great outcome WILL result from any set of inputs.
3. Run the same tests 10 more times, with everything the same as this time.    If the result is 10 times the same, I'll eat my proverbial hat.
4. Good luck on the hunt. A great range session is the perfect start to hunting season. Shooting is a confidence game, and you have earned some confidence!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 02:21
Rancid and Sarge, I agree with you 100%.

As with most of my threads this one is also tongue-in-cheek.

Due to the recoil factor I do very little range shooting with the rifle, so I cannot prove or disprove that it was a "good" day at the range. (I do have a N=3 but not N=20 I have 3 range signed targets of hitting a fly at 330 yds in three consecutive targets and 3 shots per target 1 out of each 3 hitting the fly.!!)

There is a good reason why we need to do all the things we do to achieve CONSISTENT competition or sniper level accurate shooting. And for my competition shooting I do those things.

So by writing in the negative I have indicated the normal things to do for consistent accurate shooting.
For this particular hunting rifle I do not need consistent competition level accuracy, hence I skipped all the things one should do and came up with a surprising result.

So in a fun way and being a Mythbuster Fan I shared this with the forum.

Edited by 8shots - May/23/2019 at 03:45
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 04:09
You gotta be good to be consistently lucky!
God save the Empire!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 07:06
One creates his or her luck.  😉
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 07:39
Had a couple guys tell me once they would shoot flies off the target with their 22's at 100yds. About to put my high boots on I asked "how did you know if you hit the fly". They said "a hit left a splatter". I put my boots back in the corner. Guess they really where hitting flies at 100yds.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 09:05
Friend of mine who is a retired officer, master armorer, head firearms instructor, SWAT sniper, etc., etc. reloads to his desired velocity, and test to see if the load is accurate enough to hit his intended target which is usually the heart of a game animal at 200yds. Of course he's like Kickboxer, everything he shoots is big, loud, and abusive to both animal and shooter.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 09:12
I use C4 as my propellant, have to set it off with a blasting cap - one hell of a modification to the gun; I hit the moon with a shot last summer, when it was closest. I think I hit the sun too, but can't be sure, no splash, you see...

Good times.

Good times.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 09:18
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I use C4 as my propellant, have to set it off with a blasting cap - one hell of a modification to the gun; I hit the moon with a shot last summer, when it was closest. I think I hit the sun too, but can't be sure, no splash, you see...

Good times.

Good times.

How many blocks?Laugh
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 12:20
Did NASA spot your hits for you??Roll on Floor Laughing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic