OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Cameras, Equipment and Settings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon D810 " ERR " Code

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon D810 " ERR " Code
    Posted: May/23/2019 at 09:32
I had a big dance studio shoot last Saturday and while shooting portraits, I noticed while checking the after shot while checking focus on the eyes, half the image was blacked out, I I begin to shoot another shot I see "ERR" in the view finder. 

I called Nikon and their suggestion was to send it in and they will investigate the error and return it to me in roughly three to four weeks. And that is fine, but I have a portrait session tonight, Recital tomorrow, Sports portraits on Saturday morning and Wedding on Saturday night. Needless to say, that is an issue and I will end up running my D7000 back up and renting another Full frame until the repairs are complete. 

Anyone else encounter this? Before I send it in, I was curious, perhaps it something I could fix on my own. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:27
I've never experienced that, but it sounds like it could simply be a card reading error and your card could be corrupted. Have you tried inserting a new card in your camera and see if that fixes the problem? 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:31
I did a quick search, and this is what Nikon says. That message is sometimes caused by a communication problem between your lens and body, such as if you have dirty contacts. Here is Nikon's troubleshooting recommendations:

If an "Err" message is displayed on a camera's control panel and viewfinder display, this generally indicates that the cameras internal performance monitor has detected a problem. This message can indicate either a temporary or serviceable camera problem. If the camera displays "Err" then please check the following before returning it for service.

1. Use a Nikon approved memory card to ensure compatibility with the camera.

2. Remove the lens to clean the connection pins both on the lens and in the camera throat to which they connect. Clean the contacts with a dry lint free cloth (eg. a microfiber lens cleaning cloth). Dirty contacts can sometimes be the cause if the problem is intermittent. 

3. Removing and then re-attaching the lens may solve a temporary lens/body communication issue. If this doesn't work try using another lens, if the camera then works this would indicate the original lens is causing the error. 

4. Removing then re-inserting the battery may solve a temporary electrical problem. 

5. If you have a DSLR camera, remove the lens from the camera and check the lenses connection pins and the Aperture control lever on the inside of the camera to ensure there is no damage.  If the Aperture control lever is bent or damaged this may lead to the 'err' message being displayed.  If the lever is damaged please return the camera to an Authorised Nikon Service Centre.  For further details of where to find and inspect the Aperture control lever please click here.

If the error is still displayed then your camera will probably need to be returned to your local Authorised Nikon Service Centre. If you prefer to discuss with a support agent first then contact us.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:32
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I've never experienced that, but it sounds like it could simply be a card reading error and your card could be corrupted. Have you tried inserting a new card in your camera and see if that fixes the problem? 

That was my first thought. I had spares in my case and tried a new card. Same error. 
Googling it, there were a number of suggestions. 
  • Format the card
  • Update camera's firmware
  • ect...
Sadly none of these solutions resolved my problem. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:33
Jokingly, I told Lovie, it's time to upgrade. 
I'll take two Nikon D850's please. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:34
Did you try cleaning the lens contacts and/or testing a different lens yet per Nikon's troubleshooting suggestions above?
Ted

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:36
Yes sir. Same error. 

I didn't use alcohol. I was fearful of doing that. 
I may have to and just see if that works. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I did a quick search, and this is what Nikon says. That message is sometimes caused by a communication problem between your lens and body, such as if you have dirty contacts. Here is Nikon's troubleshooting recommendations:

If an "Err" message is displayed on a camera's control panel and viewfinder display, this generally indicates that the cameras internal performance monitor has detected a problem. This message can indicate either a temporary or serviceable camera problem. If the camera displays "Err" then please check the following before returning it for service.

1. Use a Nikon approved memory card to ensure compatibility with the camera.

2. Remove the lens to clean the connection pins both on the lens and in the camera throat to which they connect. Clean the contacts with a dry lint free cloth (eg. a microfiber lens cleaning cloth). Dirty contacts can sometimes be the cause if the problem is intermittent. 

3. Removing and then re-attaching the lens may solve a temporary lens/body communication issue. If this doesn't work try using another lens, if the camera then works this would indicate the original lens is causing the error. 

4. Removing then re-inserting the battery may solve a temporary electrical problem. 

5. If you have a DSLR camera, remove the lens from the camera and check the lenses connection pins and the Aperture control lever on the inside of the camera to ensure there is no damage.  If the Aperture control lever is bent or damaged this may lead to the 'err' message being displayed.  If the lever is damaged please return the camera to an Authorised Nikon Service Centre.  For further details of where to find and inspect the Aperture control lever please click here.

If the error is still displayed then your camera will probably need to be returned to your local Authorised Nikon Service Centre. If you prefer to discuss with a support agent first then contact us.

Great info there. Thank you. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:49
I had a Canon do the same thing a few years ago, was using a lens a generation older than the camera. The camera was giving commands to the lens faster than the lens could respond, thus throwing the code.

As said, I would try another lens, or try manual focus on that lens.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 10:54
I'll try that. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 17:40
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

If you are locked into the Nikon ecosystem, get a Z7.  No need for microfocus adjustment for every lens.

ILya
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 08:42
Cleaned the contact on the lens and it functions flawlessly on my D7000. 
However just for good measure I cleaned the contact on the body and put a different lens on and sadly the problem continues. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 08:56
It is officially broken.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 09:09
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

If you are locked into the Nikon ecosystem, get a Z7.  No need for microfocus adjustment for every lens.

ILya

I'm not sold on the Z7. I think they still have a lot of ground to cover. 

If I do opt to go the mirrorless, I will go to a Sony Alpha with G mater lenses. 

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 09:12
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

It is officially broken.
Yes sir, it is. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 09:15
Now you are going to want to buy two.  For the whole 2 is 1, and 1 is none thing.   Big Smile
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 11:50
That pretty much means he should get 3... "third pays for all"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 13:16
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

That pretty much means he should get 3... "third pays for all"...

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 14:25
buy you a nice mirror-less for backup.  My wife has a nice Nikon and then bought a panasonic mirrorless.  The mirrorless can take some really nice images. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 15:54
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

buy you a nice mirror-less for backup.  My wife has a nice Nikon and then bought a panasonic mirrorless.  The mirrorless can take some really nice images. 

How's she like the the Panasonic?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic