OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

handloading vs commercial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2019 at 13:19
I put handloading on "hold" for a bit.  I was about to start loading .378 Weatherby Magnum.  In the process of getting ready to start, I checked go/nogo on my custom Champlin in .378 Weatherby...  I contacted Weatherby and they said "freebore on that caliber and .460 Weatherby Magnum is 0.756.  Get a field gauge and check it... you are probably OK.  Weatherby Magnum rifles were designed to have some free bore travel."  So i ordered a field gauge from the best "builder" of such gauges I know of, Pacific Tool and Gauge... arrived today and I immediately checked the rifle out.  The bolt will not even begin to close, no movement at all.  Now, I have to measure the magazine (internal) to see what kind of space I have to work with from a magazine standpoint... I've already found that I can easily push a 270 grain Speer BTSP completely out of the case before touching the lands...  However, I was told that there is not likely to be much or any improvement loading out beyond SAAMI OAL spec.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2019 at 16:06
So many powders, so many projectiles, so many primers, so many cases, so many lengths, so many cleaners, so little TIME... and according to several highly respected hand loading pros, I can load .458 Lott for Ruger #1 to just about any velocity/energy/pressure I'm willing to withstand... that's almost the worst thing they could tell me...

Doesn't one just HAVE to know???

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 07:27
Guess your going to find out how many shoulder rebuilds that will take....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 07:45
The great tree massacre of 2019 is forthcoming I predict
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 11:12
That tree was defective...

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 11:31
So THAT'S your story????
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 11:47
and I'm stickin' to it...

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 11:49
You'll never live that down KB.... NEVER!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 16:20
It is a shame I have bear... don't know what possessed me.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 18:59
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I put handloading on "hold" for a bit.  I was about to start loading .378 Weatherby Magnum.  In the process of getting ready to start, I checked go/nogo on my custom Champlin in .378 Weatherby...  I contacted Weatherby and they said "freebore on that caliber and .460 Weatherby Magnum is 0.756.  Get a field gauge and check it... you are probably OK.  Weatherby Magnum rifles were designed to have some free bore travel."  So i ordered a field gauge from the best "builder" of such gauges I know of, Pacific Tool and Gauge... arrived today and I immediately checked the rifle out.  The bolt will not even begin to close, no movement at all.  Now, I have to measure the magazine (internal) to see what kind of space I have to work with from a magazine standpoint... I've already found that I can easily push a 270 grain Speer BTSP completely out of the case before touching the lands...  However, I was told that there is not likely to be much or any improvement loading out beyond SAAMI OAL spec.

I’m not sure if this is still true on newer rifles in Weatherby caliber but it definitely applies to older ones. Weatherby factory ammo is loaded HOT. The bullet “jump” is by design to prevent a pressure spike that you’d get if the bullet was into the lands. When you start loading for that rifle, use a bullet that’s known for liking “jump” instead of “jam”. I’d experiment with a Barnes TSX or some other sold copper bullet. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2019 at 21:02
Thank you.  I'll try that.

The Champlin is based upon an older Weatherby action.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2019 at 06:55
Loading bench is coming along... bench top is finished, now just need the cabinets and drawers section. 

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2019 at 07:16
Isn't that supposed to be Rock maple???  Actually that turned out quite nicely!

Your not allowed to shoot it!!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2019 at 07:39
looks good.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2019 at 19:52
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Isn't that supposed to be Rock maple???  Actually that turned out quite nicely!

Your not allowed to shoot it!!!!
That's for sure... I've already been SCOLDED for drilling some holes in it to mount reloading presses.  She said "If I had known you were going to do that, I would not have sanded it so smooth or polyurethaned it."

So far, I'm battin' a thousand(th).

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 10:08
Bench is nearly finished... need some doors finished and shelves... then it is ready.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 10:17
Looks good! I do believe “that dog’ll hunt!”
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 10:20
I told Lori that all the edges did not have to be sanded/rounded and that one coat of polyurethane was good... she just looked at me and went back to sanding...

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 10:57
Looks good Dan.  With one exception, you really need to buy a new camera and post those pics a little bigger.  Wink  With most of your pics I almost need a microscope to see them and the colors and lack of detail make it really hard to see your work. 

It reminds me of pics from my moms first digital camera.  It took 3.5 in floppy discs and you could put like 30 ish pictures on one of those 1.44 meg discs. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 12:09
I have a better camera... just don't ever use it.  This is a Kodak EasyShare Z612 from about 15 or 16 years ago, I think.  Plus, I reduce them to 320x240 pixels.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic