OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

You cannot imagine how much I hate this...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You cannot imagine how much I hate this...
    Posted: July/02/2019 at 08:02
Yes, it is Meopta made.   The MeoRange has been marketed by Meopta overseas now for a couple of years, and this must be Meopta/Leupold's way of introducing it here.    I don't know how  to post pics, but if you google both of them you will see they are clones with different armoring.   I bet it's a killer unit, but not cheap by any means.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2019 at 20:12
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Another interesting bino/rf unit is the one going to be branded "Leupold".   It is the Meopta made MeoRange in Leupold clothing.    Should be a dandy. 

Is that the RBX-3000 TBR?  Is it really made by Meopta?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2019 at 21:05
Image result for shoveling manure gif

Visit the Ed Show
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2019 at 20:42
Another interesting bino/rf unit is the one going to be branded "Leupold".   It is the Meopta made MeoRange in Leupold clothing.    Should be a dandy. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2019 at 18:14
So... right now I'm KIND OF leaning toward Zeiss RF... I love Zeiss glass, I need (or just really, really want) LRF, I don't see any negatives.   (get it... SEE any negatives...)
However, I'm still in no rush and still love Meopta "stuff".  But I love Swarovski, Leica, Steiner, some others... too... 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2019 at 18:08
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Boxer:  Do you work for SWFA ?
I don't know what elicits the question, but "negative".  I currently work for DoD, retiring officially in 21 days days.  Last work day is in 19 days. I will not "go back" as a contractor... my retirement will be complete.  I have in the past, refused "participation" in efforts that appeared to me to be "conflict of interest". 

BUT... why do you ask?  

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2019 at 19:53
Boxer:  Do you work for SWFA ?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2019 at 17:33
Light It Up
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2019 at 12:14
I am interested and not in a big rush.  Thank you for the heads up.  Will keep in touch.

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2019 at 08:30
I just upgraded in January to some Leica Geovid HD-B 10X42's.

I haven't decided yet but I may sell my Leica Ultravid BR 10X42's. If your not in a big hurry, I may be down your way in the fall or definately in January and could get up with you. My Ultravids are in great shape and I have all the original box, storage pouch, and paperwork, no neck strap or lense covers. They have been babied the whole time but are 10-12 years old I think. I don't know what they are worth, but I am guessing $900 or so.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2019 at 21:10
I agree with anweis... with the caveat you're using them handheld. I definitely prefer 8X for all around use where mobility is paramount for the reasons anweis mentioned. I also have a 10X42 and can get along fine with it as well despite my slight preference for 8X. That said, if tripod mounted or otherwise supported in a fixed position, higher mag "big eyes" are pretty useful in certain circumstances.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2019 at 15:22
I've been staring at birds (and occasionally stuff that wanted me dead) for more than 40 years.
I always suggest a 8x rather than a 10x.
The image will be a bit smaller but you will get used to it quickly. The field of view will be larger. Most importantly, you will be able to resolve more details in the image because of less disturbance caused by handshake and heartbeats. Simply put, your brain will understand the image better when you have less handshake or tremor in the image. 
There are many decent binoculars out there these days for $400-$1,000.
When i was a kid, my binoculars were so bad, i learned to identify birds by shape, rather than colors and markings. It served me well later in low light and the Arctic and still does now, when birding.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Get a Meopta Meostar 10x42HD.  It will cost you around $1k and do everything you want to do.

If you would rather have a set of big eyes to use off of a tripod, get a 15x56 Meostar.

ILya

My 10x42 are not HD and I use them daily for birding and critter watching. They are easy to hold and my views are several yards to 200 yards.
I'm sure the 15x56 are very nice. I occasionally use 15x80 Steiners for birding and they work great, too. Having big eyes is a good thing.
Doug
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2019 at 01:38
Meopta are extremely good value in my view
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2019 at 08:39
This is how you KNOW everything is being monitored... I just an email... a special email to only SELECT individuals... telling me how I can get "Army Ranger-grade" binoculars.  I may have to change directions... how can anybody beat "Army Ranger-grade"???  I think they allow you to see through walls and over-the-horizon.  What an opportunity...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2019 at 20:47

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Why all the angst over something so innocuous as binoculars? Were you repeatedly beaten with a binocular as a child?

They are tools that serve an important function that other types of optics cannot duplicate. Do you BG Hunt in a variety of environs or plan to start? If so, binos are almost essential.

The Meopta Meostars Ilya recommended are excellent. However, I don’t believe they are distortion-free. I believe they incorporate a moderate amount of pincushion distortion just like most binoculars posses, but I could be mistaken. Are you absolutely certain you want “no distortion?” Optics companies intentionally incorporate some pincushion distortion into most of their bino images so that the world looks more natural while panning, without making you dizzy in the process (the so-called “rolling ball” or “globe” effect). Binos that are designed with a perfectly flat field are nice for stationary viewing, but for use where you do a lot of searching and panning, the “rolling ball” effect bothers some people. I can take it or leave it. I notice the globe affect with flat field binos, but it doesn’t really bother me much. Conversely, most of the time in actual use, I also don’t notice slight pincushion distortion either unless I’m intentionally looking for it against images with lots of straight horizontal and vertical lines, like a brick wall. The natural world has few such straight lines.

"No distortion"... figure of speech... but I thought the Porro-prism was supposed to be virtually distortion free... as much as possible. Could be mistaken.

The prism type does not really have much to do with distortion, all though because of the difference in objective separation, we perceive distortion a little differently with roof vs porro binos.  It is not a big difference though.  Distortion characteristics are mostly dialed in to a particular requirement by the objectives.  

ILya
Got it.  Thank you.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2019 at 16:41
What do you have for a spotting scope, you might want to tripod mount something with more power for a close look.  Personally I'm not fond of binoculars because of my glasses where I can tolerate a monocular or spotting scope better.   Ive been wanting this for a while I have the 8x HD and like it
Also kind of like this for a beater to drag around with me.  ( not super spendy)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Why all the angst over something so innocuous as binoculars? Were you repeatedly beaten with a binocular as a child?

They are tools that serve an important function that other types of optics cannot duplicate. Do you BG Hunt in a variety of environs or plan to start? If so, binos are almost essential.

The Meopta Meostars Ilya recommended are excellent. However, I don’t believe they are distortion-free. I believe they incorporate a moderate amount of pincushion distortion just like most binoculars posses, but I could be mistaken. Are you absolutely certain you want “no distortion?” Optics companies intentionally incorporate some pincushion distortion into most of their bino images so that the world looks more natural while panning, without making you dizzy in the process (the so-called “rolling ball” or “globe” effect). Binos that are designed with a perfectly flat field are nice for stationary viewing, but for use where you do a lot of searching and panning, the “rolling ball” effect bothers some people. I can take it or leave it. I notice the globe affect with flat field binos, but it doesn’t really bother me much. Conversely, most of the time in actual use, I also don’t notice slight pincushion distortion either unless I’m intentionally looking for it against images with lots of straight horizontal and vertical lines, like a brick wall. The natural world has few such straight lines.

"No distortion"... figure of speech... but I thought the Porro-prism was supposed to be virtually distortion free... as much as possible. Could be mistaken.

The prism type does not really have much to do with distortion, all though because of the difference in objective separation, we perceive distortion a little differently with roof vs porro binos.  It is not a big difference though.  Distortion characteristics are mostly dialed in to a particular requirement by the objectives.  

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2019 at 15:49

If all he needs is to stare at bird every once in a while, I would get the Meostar and save some money.

ILya

Well, not the ONLY reason... but I have been doing that a lot more lately.  Who knew I would ever be a "bird watcher".  
That sounds pathetic...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2019 at 15:38
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

10x42:  Meopta Meostar HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, Nikon HG, Vortex Razor HD, GPO HD, and Tract Toric UHD are all way better than a Nikon Action.   The Toric is as good or better than anything in this group.

12x50:  Meopta Meostar HD, Tract Toric UHD are both fantastic

A good, used Swaro Swarovision 10x42 has no peer in my opinion and can be found under your budget.   I have had ll of the above  on  tripods at one time or another so my opinion is from personal use.   

Nikon Action was a gift.  I just never really had a need for better until now.  I've been spending more time watching the myriad of birds that surround my house and have found the Nikon insufficient.  I appreciate your suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic